Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This A Good Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This A Good Fuel Pump?

This one from Holley looks nice, and is affordable. Will it work with a carbureted 6.0 in my old truck?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

?????
Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are going to need a pressure regulator with that pump. Preferrably a return style regulator.

I have a mallory comp 140 pump that I am replacing. Georotor pumps are damaged very easily if the slightest big of dirt/debris gets into them.

I had less than 20 hours on the pump. Same $215 price as that Holley pump you are looking at. Mallory says they will rebuild it, but don't know if it is worth it.

Just last night ordered an $85 Summit special to replace it. From looking at the pictures on line it looks like half a dozen different companies sell a pump that looks identical.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I'll let you know how the cheaper pump works out for me.

if you get that pump make certain you put a no smaller than 40 micron filter on the inlet. I had a cheap Mr Gasket filter, but somehow it didn't catch a bunch of rust.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, well I thought it was a good deal because it did come with a regulator. Is the Mallory pump stronger? Why are you replacing yours.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

When you ordered the pump did you get the regulator too?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I have the matching Mallory return style regulator. I am keeping that.

Like I said, the pump got some rust particles in it that scored the georotor. Now the pump binds and blows fuses. I have cleaned in out a couple of times, but tow jobs are expensive. Rather than pay the minimum $60 + two way shipping it will cost to get the Mallory pump rebuilt, figure I will drop the same $80 on the summit rotory vane type.

In defense of the pump, my tank was mildly rusted. I am having my gas tank cleaned out and resealed. Should be done today. But still replacing pumps at two bills a pop is not something I want to do on a regular basis.

The georotor pumps are suppose to be more quiet, but mine never was. Use to hear the hum over the sound of the motor at idle.

Kind of hard to get opinions on carb'd fuel pumps. I am not saying that pump is good or bad, although it should work well with your 6.0. Just wanted to pass on that from what I have read georotor designs are sensitive to dirt in the fuel. Use a good, low loss, filter.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, thanks for your input. I am going to be running a brand new alum. fuel cell, so it shouldnt have any debris in it, yet. I'll order it and see how it goes. Oh and it would be nice of you to share how your summit one turns out.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Mallory 110 pump and it's pretty quiet. Be sure to read the directions for the pump and the regulator when you buy them. Mine had special instructions that I didn't find out about until almost a year later.
About the Summit pumps, they are made by a good company(not Holley), but I can't remember which one it was. A Summit rep mentioned it one time a while back.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

It should be pretty straight forward, as they come together as a set. I'll pay close attention though, thanks for your input.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You are going to need a pressure regulator with that pump. Preferrably a return style regulator.
The pump comes with a regulator.

A return regulator would quiet it significantly though
Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luckyhenriksen
It should be pretty straight forward, as they come together as a set. I'll pay close attention though, thanks for your input.
It is pretty straight forward, but I think when you use the Mallory pump/regulator combo you have to do something to the pump. I remember not being able to get much more than 5psi. Then after I did the extra step, it topped out my fuel pressure gauge and I was able to adjust it back down to wherever I wanted it.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

I'll be on here with more questions for sure, once I get started. How far away form the carb can my regulator be.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant go wrong with the old Holley Blue pump. We use them on alot of stuff in the USAF, the duty cycle is ridiculous. I keep a bunch on hand but seldomly need one.

Quick Reply: Is This A Good Fuel Pump?