Sponsored by:

72 Nova LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 Nova LS1 Swap

Background

Friends car. This is my third LS1 swap into another vehicle an my friends first.

The car came with a crate motor 350 in it with a 4 speed auto. The motor was blown when it arrived.

The motor is a 98 LS1 with a 2000 LS1 T56
Patriot stage 2.5 LS6 heads
Mild Cam 224/228
LS6 intake
LS7 clutch flywheel
Walbro 255 external pump with fuel cell
Wilwood front brakes
Wilwood Clutch and brake master
Wilwood Clutch pedal (shorten 2 inches)
Hooker Headers (not yet arrived)
Hurst Short Shifter
C6 shift ****
LH8 Oil pan
BRP Mount kit (read below)

Pics

car

shifter location

shifter location

motor location

Custom Wilwood Clutch and Brake setup

Passanger Side mount. Not tightened down yet to show the how off the mounts are.

The amount of knotching we had to do and they still dont fit perfectly.

Trans mount lines up with only one side. We double checked everything even tried flipping the mount. JUNK is all I can say.

Oil pan clearance. Seems they could come down another inch and help a lot.

The BRP Mounts we got were done to save time. Ive made mounts before but the owner wanted to make it easy so he spent 500 bucks on these mounts. The only thing that worked was the Factory LH8 oil pan. Descriptions on the website says fits without major modification. I guess cutting the trans tunnel open is "Major" modification.

I'll have pictures of fuel, PS and Radiator hose setup soon.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks. Sometimes I can't believe the price of some aftermarket parts.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be too upset about the trans tunnel. The TKO trannies won't fit without cutting it (if it's located properly), and the T56 is a bigger transmission.
I have a '71 Nova . Although I've considered going LSx, I'll probably stick with the old SBC. Here are a few points I would have considered if I had done mine.
The first thing I would have done (and this is probably the biggest PITA) is swap the heater core and fan housing for a big block unit. This will move the hoses to the right, giving you more room at the rear of the engine. I even did this for my SBC.
Next, re-install the engine frame mounts that came with the SBC. Make your own conversion plates to use the original style SBC mounts while moving the engine as far to the rear and down as the headers will allow. You will most likely need to fab up a trans mount (perhaps that piece of junk can be salvaged), just pay attention to the engine/driveline angles as you do it.
Ditch that TRUCK oil pan. It hangs too low when the engine is positioned properly.
Probably the most important thing you can do is tell your friend to slow down and take his time. You've done this before, so I'm sure you know enough to take your time and do it right the first time.

Ken
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Were going to just use the mounts since everything has been cut and finally in place. If I ever do it again though. Ill make my own mounts.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

good luck with the swap!

I'm slightly confused why people keep using these Hummer pans, they DO clear the steering BUT still hang damn low, albeit not as low as the truck ones.

I'd be interested in seeing a bit more detail on the modifications need for the 6spd to fit, because that is going to be my next major purchase for my Nova conversion...
Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Really only thing we did was cut a line down the trans tunnel and folded it open. If we want it to come up higher we would have to take a section out of it. We opted not to cut the area where the body panels over lap to help keep the body solid.
If we cut through that I would recommend a custom tunnel to strengthen it back up.
Right now the motor sits at a slight angle down in the back buts its very little.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Looks great, I am trying to gather as much info as I can so I will be wathcing this thread.

Later

Quick Reply: 72 Nova LS1 Swap