TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question 5.3/55 Chevy combo??

Looking for suggestions, pics as to what combos could be used to:
1. Hi mount 805 a/c. [Kwik Perf brkts]
2. Ls1-6 intake.
3. ETC t/b.

So far:
1. I've relocated the idler out of the way of the t/b.
2. Purchased the Kwik mt.
3. Have gathered a set of truck accessory brkts. [2004]

I now need to relocate the water outlet on the wp, as it interferes w/ the ETC. [Needs to be out the ft]
Given the differences in pulley location vs the Vette & F body, using a wp off 1 of those 2 combos won't work.

NE1 modified an F body wp, [bolt on pulley], to work w/ the truck accessories?
[According to S&P catalog, all F bods have the bolt on pulley] Tru/false? If not, what yrs do? The early 1 I have, is a bolt on.

If there are no commonly available pieces, I am considering having a pulley made to put it in the correct location.
I am also considering modifying a truck pump w/ a ft outlet neck. [would require machining and welding].
I think being the truck stuff is MUCH cheaper than the Vette/F-body accessories, the cost of a pulley would be alot less than starting from scratch.

IDEAS?? SUGGESTIONS?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
I now need to relocate the water outlet on the wp, as it interferes w/ the ETC. [Needs to be out the ft]
What is ETC?
We've been discussing using an LS1 intake with a cable throttle body and the truck water pump here on the "winter project" topic. It fits, I've done it.

James
Old 01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking for suggestions, pics as to what combos could be used to:
1. Hi mount 805 a/c. [Kwik Perf brkts]
2. Ls1-6 intake.
3. ETC t/b.

So far:
1. I've relocated the idler out of the way of the t/b.
2. Purchased the Kwik mt.
3. Have gathered a set of truck accessory brkts. [2004]

Given the differences in pulley location vs the Vette & F body, using a wp off 1 of those 2 combos won't work.

NE1 modified an F body wp, [bolt on pulley], to work w/ the truck accessories?
[According to S&P catalog, all F bods have the bolt on pulley] Tru/false? If not, what yrs do? The early 1 I have, is a bolt on.

If there are no commonly available pieces, I am considering having a pulley made to put it in the correct location.
I am also considering modifying a truck pump w/ a ft outlet neck. [would require machining and welding].
I think being the truck stuff is MUCH cheaper than the Vette/F-body accessories, the cost of a pulley would be alot less than starting from scratch.

IDEAS?? SUGGESTIONS?
You can find cheap LS1 pressed on pulley waterpumps all day to do the swap. press the truck pully off the stock one and have it pressed on the car pump.
Truck pump

Car press on pulley

Or mod the outlet.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...S6+intake+swap
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...7&page=1&pp=10

The stock low mount A/C will fit if you notch the frame a little, return the expensive bracket!!!!

Why you swapping to the LS1 intake? Looks I guess?

The truck one flow the same as the LS1, the LS6 is a little better.

I would keep it and save trouble of the intake swap. Several guys on PT.net did the swap to the LS6 and gained nothing over the truck intake.

Your better off swapping to the 90mm TBSS truck intake if you looking for a bolt on up grade.

Last edited by Bo185; 01-08-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default it's..

Originally Posted by jsmcortina
What is ETC?
We've been discussing using an LS1 intake with a cable throttle body and the truck water pump here on the "winter project" topic. It fits, I've done it.

James
the electronic throttle control. I don't want to mess w/ linkage, so I'll use the ETC T/B.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

"You can find cheap LS1 pressed on pulley waterpumps all day to do the swap. press the truck pully off the stock one and have it pressed on the car pump."
I have a bolt on pulley pump,[Vette??] and 2 press on truck pumps. I am trying to determine a method of pressing and changing these pulleys around. Might you have an idea as to how this is done??
If I stay w/ the truck intake, I still have to move the water neck, to clear the ETC motor, and the hi mount a/c comp. [I don't want to chop up the ft x member for a/c compressor clearance]
I also want to get the top hose out to a stock style 55 radiator, so the ft hose outlet is necessary.

I may just clean up a truck intake, and say screw the LS1 deal. The engine I'll be getting will be late enuf to have the ETC t/b, anyway.
This is a street car, that will see alot of long trips, so I guess an added 20HP @ 6000 is no big deal!
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a bolt on pulley pump,[Vette??] and 2 press on truck pumps. I am trying to determine a method of pressing and changing these pulleys around. Might you have an idea as to how this is done??
You need a Car press on pump. Then just as stated press off the car pulley ans press on the truck one. Pactrice on the spare truck pump.

If I stay w/ the truck intake, I still have to move the water neck, to clear the ETC motor, and the hi mount a/c comp. [I don't want to chop up the ft x member for a/c compressor clearance]
I also want to get the top hose out to a stock style 55 radiator, so the ft hose outlet is necessary.
You shouldn't have to move the inlet for DBW TB on a truck. The picture shows stock DBW TB intake and stock truck water pump.
From the speartech thread

I may just clean up a truck intake, and say screw the LS1 deal. The engine I'll be getting will be late enuf to have the ETC t/b, anyway.
This is a street car, that will see alot of long trips, so I guess an added 20HP @ 6000 is no big deal!
Thanks for the help!
You can get different covers for the truck intakes as well to hide the ugly truck intake.

I plan on keeping the the truck intake on my 56 swap. One for money and two just to keep it simple. I am trying to make a DD that gets decent mileage.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

"You shouldn't have to move the inlet for DBW TB on a truck. The picture shows stock DBW TB intake and stock truck water pump.
From the speartech thread".

With the Kwik mt, the neck will interfere w/ the compressor. That's what I'm trying to work around. Even if I keep the truck intake, I'll still have this to deal with.
I'm still trying to figure out how to press the pulleys, and to determine what yrs Camaro pumps actually have bolt on pulleys...
Thanks for your help!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

If I remember from past experience the 98's were the only ones that had a bolt on pulley, but most parts stores will sell you the one with the pressed on pulley.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Don't mean to hijack ur thread, but I am putting a '06 LQ4 in my 55 & wanted to know if the pedal setup from a Camaro or GTO or anything else would work on the truck ETC TB.

Last edited by QUICKQTR; 01-16-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 5.3/55 Chevy combo??