Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SM465 behind LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SM465 behind LQ4

I previously bought a wrecked 2500 HD truck to do the swap into my 78 K20 4x4 but decided the cost of the front end conversion to match the front driveshaft output location was more than I wanted to spend and I would end up with F*rd parts on my Chevy truck. I sold the 2500 HD truck to a friend who is rebuilding it to use as a work truck and got my money back out of it so now I am starting over on the project.

Now I am looking at trying to put an LQ4 into the 78 K20 and connect it to the stock SM465 manual transmission & NP205 transfer case. Both can handle anything an LQ4 could ever throw at them so I am not worried about their durability, I know of 1500 hp pulling trucks running my transmission & transfer case in them with no problems. With my trucks 32" tires the stock drivetrain is nearly bullet proof even with twin turbos.

I am thinking the LQ4 flexplate spacer used with an LSx flywheel will put the clutch in the right location for the older SM465 manual transmission just like it does to use an older automatic transmission.

Has anybody tried this? Are there any specific flywheels to look for that will work better?

I know I will need to figure out something for VSS unless I convert it over to run an MSD 6010 & carburetor intake. I would like to keep the EFI but it would be far simpler to do the carburetor route on the swap into the carbureted truck.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Teching In

I know that the trans will bolt up to your motor just fine. There will be a bolt hole in the passenger side upper that is not drilled for the bellhousing to bolt to it. It does not need this hole and do not drill it out cause there is a water channel there. As for the fuel injection and wiring. if you get a hold of wait4me performance and send in you engine wiring harness and tell them what you are doing they will remap your computer remove the original vehicle anti theft and rewire your harness so that it will be down to 4 wires that you will need to hookup. www.wait4meperformance.com
Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

I would still need to figure out how to get the VSS signal to the ECM from the mechanical speedometer output of the NP205 transfer case.

I have seen some vague references to using a tone ring from an NP241 T-case and adapting the newer VSS to fit the NP205 housing in various threads on 4L80E swaps with 205's but have not seen any pictures or directions as to how to do it yet. I guess I should snag the VSS parts out of an NP241 and go from there.

I all ready have HP Tuners that I am using on my wife's 2003 Tahoe so I can do the PCM work myself. The wiring may take me a while but I can figure that out with the help of the swap FAQ. My biggest concern is getting a flywheel that will work and positioning it so everything is in the right location front to rear.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ever do this swap? Info?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

there are a couple threads on here already that you should do a search for as they have some really good info. a friend of mine and myself just done a swap over last weekend into an 84 chevy with the standard. You will need a Sachs NFW1050 flywheel , LS7 pilot bushing, and a clutch,pressure plate and throw out bearing for your truck( if the one you have is still good use it).we used a vss signal generator from dakota digital ( 40 bucks there abouts). everything works great and he is really happy with how it turned out. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: SM465 behind LQ4