Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lt1? Ls1? Awd bravada t56?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1? Ls1? Awd bravada t56?

I just recently blew my gasket in my 1998 bravada with 160,000 miles. So now i am wondering what to put in it's place. I have thought about shoving a lt1 in there but i am concerned about how the awd will work with it. Two computers? One for the body and one for the engine. What about gages...not too concerned about them but it would be nice to have. I know it has been done. Mainly called the "braphoon". There is also a 4.3 stroker kit but my engine is milkshake nasty inside. The lt1 is only about another 300 dollars or so difference in price compared to it little brother 4.3. Of course i would have to put in the price of other mods like wiring harness and pcm. is it possible to make it a six speed with a t56?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a later model vortec V8 in it, add a couple of wires to the PCM for the extra injectors and reflash your PCM with an OS from a full size van
Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

when you say an older motor you mean carb?? i would like to have the fuel injection as well as the fuel ecomomy. tbi is crap too imo. what about stand alone fuel managment? i guess if you want the best of both worlds you have to put in the time....oh yeah and money
Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty sure he means newer style w votec heads, what they put in trucks previous to LS series engines (up to 98 in 1/2 tons, longer in vans). Your accessories would bolt up, and your gauges would work. I would agree that would be an easy swap. Plus a pull out vortec truck engine should be cheap. And they make respectable power. Search the net for S-10 V8 swaps, lots of info out there, and there forums specific to s-10s also.

As for the T56 w AWD, search the sy/ty forums. I read this has been done. I don't think it is the easiest swap though. Still, it would be cool!

Good luck w whatever you decide.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by subtlez28
As for the T56 w AWD, search the sy/ty forums. I read this has been done. I don't think it is the easiest swap though. Still, it would be cool!

Good luck w whatever you decide.
T56 AWD has been done before. However, there are NOT readily available parts to do this. Basically, you (or your friendly local machinist) have to build / fabricate / modify the tailshaft housing to mate a tcase up to it (unless you run a divorced Tcase setup which is tough on short wheelbase vehicles). T56's were never offered in 4wd versions. And to make things even more exciting, the tailshaft housing on a T56 houses the shifter and some of 5th and 6th gears. So its no easy bit of kit to fabricate.

The Vortec V8 as suggested earlier is probably your best bang for the buck. You still run into limitations as far as the factory intake manifold goes (only so much fuel you can squeeze out of the "spider") but there are solutions to that problem at this point. And should be cheaper than an LT1. The Vortec series heads were designed based on the LT4 ports / chambers and flow really well. The 4.3 accessories bolt up, so you've got less $$$ involved there too.

Oh, and the AWD could care less. You've got a NV136, which is controlled by the BCM (body control module), not the PCM (powertrain). If you had a '97, it'd have the BW4472, which would care even less since its fully mechanical.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the info i think that would be easier and most important cheaper. i have 160,000 miles on the tranny so i'm sure it wouldn't last long with a v8. nice job on your bravada. how fast is it? i sure don't want to put that ol V6 back in since this thing has sooo much traction wet or dry. i always wanted to feel all tires grab with more power. i think the t56 is out of the question for me what about the t5 they had those on the 4wd blazers?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

T5 seems like an easier idea, but they don't take torque as well (never put them behind anything bigger than a 305--for a reason). But then that depends on how you drive it. Behave and it will be fine. Dump the clutch w AWD.....

I would think you can get the Vortec V-8 swap done with a much more reasonable budget, and it would still make a powerful, quick daily driver.

Or if the tranny is bad anyway (or nearly) you could probly get a pull out 5.3 w 4x4 trans reasonably also. You would then have the gauges and other headaches to deal with.

That said look for a vortec v-8 w trans - pull out.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

T5 would be a grenade with the pin pulled, just waiting to go off. You might be able to get it to live in a 2wd application where you have a chance at wheelspin to save the trans, but in an awd application, you're fairly likely to break it.

I'd say the V6 auto trans probably could do with freshening or replacing with a lower mileage unit. But ultimately the 700R4 / 4L60E isn't a super stout piece, especially with the demands placed on it by AWD (there's aluminum in the power path, the shift sequence is murder using a band and a clutch, etc). But behind a stock to mild Vortec v8 (under 400hp), one that's in reasonable condition should do ok for a decent amount of time.

No idea how fast my truck is. Runs a bunch better than it did with the V6 though. Still a work in progress with some issues to resolve. I do miss the gear ratios of the 60E (deeper 1st gear, more overdrive in 4th). But I too would like to be able to row my own gears. I've considered the T56 more than once (which is why I held on to my NV136). But need to finish a few other projects first (like a big addition to the house that's probably 80% or so).

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

so no go on the T5 so i will either stick with the 4L60E or pull entire drive out of a vehicle. what year and model should i look for. i work at a bodyshop so i can get a decent deal on one but i have to tell him what i am looking for. any wires that i should have him cut off too?
i know that the 4L60E is not a strong tranny and incase i end up spraying it or camming it. i would like something that could handle some power maybe under 450 hp. i would be happy though with anything over 300 but just incase...i have a heavy foot
it's kinda weird that the syclone and typhoon were all autos i image that with a standard they would be even sicker. neutral drops are nasty on the tranny even though i have had my fair share of them. little imports are always boggled by the 4dr suv on 20's blasting out of the hole on them. too bad it slows down after that but NOT FOR LONG!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Sy's and Ty's run the same 700R4 / 4L60E and most of them have killed a few trannies. From the factory, they were built pretty stout, with a few SyTy specific parts and about every factory upgrade available at the time. A well built 700R4 / 60E should be capable of 450hp and awd (especially if its NA power, not turbo). But that's getting close to the limit of what you should expect the tranny to live with, unless you're willing to refresh it regularly / live with the likelyhood of "bang".

I'm not sure of the exact vintage of the Vortec motors off the top of my head. Look Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#5700.

Sy's and Ty's are really stout off the line (when the tranny holds together) because you can load the motor up (and build boost) against the converter and brakes. It is possible to spool the turbo with a manual application, but it usually requires a 2step rev limiter (to drop timing at like 3000 rpm) to build boost. And then you've got to worry about taking all of the slack out of the driveline as you try to launch with the clutch (auto on the brakes doesn't have that slack and therefore shock). It's interesting that the Sy's and Ty's were only rated at 280hp from the factory, but they were making a fair bit of torque due to the shape of the power curve.

Obviously modified trucks are pushing that envelope quite far. The current hot ticket for a modified Sy or Ty that is breaking transmissions is to convert to the 80E. The turbo motors seem to like the extra load from the shallower 1st gear (2.48 vs 3.06 in the 700R4 / 60E). And they can take the kind of beating that most Sy and Ty owners seem to dish out. Some of those trucks are even getting away from the Pro-Jackstand look (their term, not mine).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You might also check out S10Forum (there's a LSx section) and SyTy.net (lots of good transmission info).

'JustDreamin'
Old 06-17-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Check your intake manifold for the coolant leak. I've changed many intakes that others thought head gaskets blew

Quick Reply: Lt1? Ls1? Awd bravada t56?