Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A taste of our own medicine

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009 | 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
That's because twin turbos on an ls-series engine looks very suspiscious. Hell, the 2JZ only made a shade over 200 hp stock N/A.

I'm not against making stupid power with any setup, but people seem to think the Supra engines were direct descendents of the gods. In reality, they were built to handle boost, that's about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a sick setup, although it sounds ricey. But congratulations on making 1000 hp with twin turbos. 750 streetable hp N/A is much more impressive.
Umm, 2JZ was 320hp stock?

Cool swap, and hella power production.

2JZ's are to import guys, what an LS1 is to a domestic guy. LS1's are swapped into far more things then 2JZ's are.

If this makes people so angry, ill build a RB26DETT to replace my LQ4.

Would be interesting! But i wouldnt do it.

Anyways, im impressed, cool car, nice power production.
Old 02-13-2009 | 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I saw that...got my whole Hot Rod collection up for sale right now...in fact I got a ton of mags up for sale and only keeping the LS issue of Custom Trucks. It's pretty much the only one that pertains to my plan of having both trucks LS powered.

I'll swap a Chevy motor into anything...still dreaming of someday getting a Vega and going nuts, but a TOY motor in anything is not on the radar...they should be ashamed!

Speaking of that...has anyone swapped and LS into a Vega?
Old 02-14-2009 | 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

I can't decide if that's fucked up or awesome. Nonetheless props to the builders. Very nice work.

And yes I would say the same about an LSx in a supra. I see the RX7s a bit different because Rotary's are **** for street driven performance applications.

Originally Posted by 91ZLS6

Cool swap, and hella power production.

2JZ's are to import guys, what an LS1 is to a domestic guy. LS1's are swapped into far more things then 2JZ's are.

If this makes people so angry, ill build a RB26DETT to replace my LQ4.

Would be interesting! But i wouldnt do it.

Anyways, im impressed, cool car, nice power production.
He said n/a, so he's probably talking about the non turbo models.
Old 02-14-2009 | 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll admit it does sound kinda weird hearing that come from the back of a camaro, and those exhaust tips are pretty excessive.
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

The motors really don't do too well in terms of powerband or torque. V8 anyday for me. Interesting swap though, some chevy guy apparently watched tokyo drift a few too many times. Car looks super clean, can't complain about their build quality, just strange motor choice IMO.
Old 02-14-2009 | 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah their terrible. Datsun IRS and all .... street driven to and from the track. This is before the turbo upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3qOWw2s-QM

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Z...40Z_104277.htm

PS - I have an LS1 in my Z but had to share this one

Cameron
Old 02-14-2009 | 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they shoulda used a 69 firebird and told people they modded the origanal OHC straight six!! LOL!
Old 02-14-2009 | 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

putting a 2jz in a 69 camaro is like giving a girl breast reduction surgery it was given this gift by god they smaked him in the face with it. shure it makes 1000 hp but to do that it must be making at least 35 to 40 psi if not more. and at that point you've lost you're street manners. plus the turbo is so big that it probiblly never ever spools up so yea it makes 1000 peak hp but avg hp is probiblly junk. i understand why they get mad when we put our engines in there cars but to me it makes sense....why put a huge turbo on a little motor and only make peak hp when you can just have some extra cubes and make power everywhere. as far as rotary engine swaps go i actually understand them the most, although i hate rotarys they are not to common and i could see how a enthusiast would hate to see them thrown away. but over all the the biggest problem with this camaro is the sound. if i ever herd a ricer flyby and turned around to see a camaro doing it .... i think i would cry .....end rant
Old 02-14-2009 | 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think it was kinda out of taste to do it to a 69. ive always wanted to take a supra and a camaro and switch the drivelines out. ls in the toy and the 2jz in the camaro. just to **** everyone off haha
Old 02-14-2009 | 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

i dont like like the car really i just dont agree with th emotor its totally out of place and like mentioned before that cant be a driver....it just shows that with enough money anything could be done....whats next a camaro hybrid?
Old 02-14-2009 | 03:32 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Bunch of whiny bitches around here.

Sean
Old 02-14-2009 | 06:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Broke EF

Sean
Old 02-14-2009 | 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by petechapter50
putting a 2jz in a 69 camaro is like giving a girl breast reduction surgery it was given this gift by god they smaked him in the face with it. shure it makes 1000 hp but to do that it must be making at least 35 to 40 psi if not more. and at that point you've lost you're street manners. plus the turbo is so big that it probiblly never ever spools up so yea it makes 1000 peak hp but avg hp is probiblly junk. i understand why they get mad when we put our engines in there cars but to me it makes sense....why put a huge turbo on a little motor and only make peak hp when you can just have some extra cubes and make power everywhere. as far as rotary engine swaps go i actually understand them the most, although i hate rotarys they are not to common and i could see how a enthusiast would hate to see them thrown away. but over all the the biggest problem with this camaro is the sound. if i ever herd a ricer flyby and turned around to see a camaro doing it .... i think i would cry .....end rant
Dude, I can't read this thread with all the sand flowing from you guys.

Engine swaps that make ridiculous power are awesome no matter how you cut it. Especially with all the work involved in brand swapping. If you can't appreciate a car with a swapped motor and 1000hp then don't consider yourself a car nut; more a GM nut, ford nut, yota nut or whatever motor you prefer.

I'd never do it, but it's cool nonetheless.
Old 02-14-2009 | 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

thats deplorable
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Broke EF

Sean
Originally Posted by iansane
Engine swaps that make ridiculous power are awesome no matter how you cut it. Especially with all the work involved in brand swapping. If you can't appreciate a car with a swapped motor and 1000hp then don't consider yourself a car nut; more a GM nut, ford nut, yota nut or whatever motor you prefer.

I'd never do it, but it's cool nonetheless.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:44 PM
On The Tree

1 - Sick car, interesting swap. Thumbs up.
2 - It's a 67, not a 69.
Old 02-15-2009 | 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

yea I dont care if its a toyo motor. Thats is one sick swap that really interests me. Not to mention it makes huge HP and looks extremely fun to drive! I'd take it! lol.
Old 02-15-2009 | 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Real gearheads do these types of swaps to be unique. I put an LS1 in my RX7...so what. I plan on putting a rotary engine in a 240Z... who cares??

I do it because I love fast cars. I love building cars to suit my taste, not yours. I think that this is an awesome swap. Bravo to a job well done!
Old 02-15-2009 | 02:05 PM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 91ZLS6
Check the facts. The -GTE version in the Supra was 320 hp. The 2JZ-GE (non-turbo) made between 215 and 230 hp depending on application. My point is that they make no power N/A - anyone can throw turbos onto an engine and make huge numbers. It's still a nicely-done project, though.

The addition of twin turbochargers, jointly developed by Toyota with Hitachi, in sequential configuration had raised its commercially-cited output from 225 hp to the, then, industry maximum of 280 hp at 5600 rpm. In its first appearance, torque was advertised as 320 lbft to be later recited as 335 lbft with the introduction VVT-i in 1997. The mutually-agreed, industry-wide output ceiling was enforced by Japan's now-defunct "Gentlemen's Agreement" exclusively between Japanese automakers selling to the Japanese domestic market. For the North American and European markets, power was raised to 320 hp DIN (229 kW) at 5600 rpm.
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine
Old 02-15-2009 | 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

Speaking of that...has anyone swapped and LS into a Vega?
Workin on it, slowly but surely

Mike

Quick Reply: A taste of our own medicine