Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A taste of our own medicine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me want to put an S2000 motor in a 70 Chevelle SS. Just to really **** people off.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

well after last years AMC revival article for the April issue maybe they thought that camaro was a joke too....
Old 02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

i really honestly like it, while i am not a big fan of how most import motors sound, the 2jz's actually sound pretty nasty with a good bit of work done to them, especially once they come into boost. hell, at last years ADRL races they had a tube chassis supra running mid 4's in the 1/8,. and it sounded SIIIIIIIIIIICK

and like has been said before, who cares wjhat brand it is? 1000 hp is 1000 hp, no matter how you make it, and most of the people complaining will never own a car that makes near that, and it definitely would not be as streetable as most of these big power 2jz's
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 79nova
to all there own ,i dont like they started with restored rs/ss car
X2 I don't care either way but to start with that nice a car....... should have bought an ebay junker and rebuilt that
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I work at an elementary school and don't see this much whining.

I don't care if it has a Ford, Toyota, or GM motor, that car is badfreakinass!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a wad. I think its pretty effin sweet.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The Hot Rod article on it says it only develops full boost @ 4000rpm+, and lists it as getting 823rwhp on C16 race gas and 529rwhp on street 93-octane.

Impressive? Yes. Have these motors pushed well beyond that? Yes.

...but I don't know where the 1000hp claim is coming from, at the crank maybe, but that isn't outrageously impressive for these motors.. When I first read this I thought that was @ the wheels on street gas, but now with those new numbers, I'm not quite as "oh wow, cool!".
Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TORK?
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I work at an elementary school and don't see this much whining...
Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Im sure I can search this site and find a ton of cars making over 530 on pump gas and a very healthy handful of cars that make over 850 on race gas. The novelty of this swap came and went after Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift came out with the Mustang.... I think its a lame swap thats cons outweigh the pros. It makes power the way imports do.. its peaky and on the ragged edge. MAking 800 hp for 500rpm is not that impressive. Even the 1500hp supras out there have pretty lame dyno curves. Look at em and you will probably agree, they make less than 400hp for 90% of the powerband then all of a sudden at the very last second peak incredibly to over a 1000hp and then its over. All high hp 4 cyl motors are the same way and it sucks. Those are dyno queen numbers and nothing more.

Then you have the whole thing about supporting a foreign brand. It may not have been an issue in the past but nowdays there are people losing their jobs to foreign car companies everyday. These are people like us that are blue collar and rely on manufacturing jobs to feed their kids. Buying from Toyota (especially a 2jz which is not american made in anyway) takes money away from the people that need it right here at home.

Third.. Why down grade? Multple V8's from a ton of manufacturers make over 800 hp with a turbo strapped to it why make life harder with a straight 6? I havent seen alot of Camaros with a hemi swapped into it. Wouldnt that be a little cooler than a 6 cylinder?

I could go on about why its not that cool to run a low displacement turbo motor and touch on multiple areas. I started with imports (VWs actually) so I have first hand experience with small turbo motors making impressive hp/l numbers. They arent reliable and peak hp numbers are worthless IMO. I give an otherwise awesome car two thumbs down.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by matty b
Then you have the whole thing about supporting a foreign brand. It may not have been an issue in the past but nowdays there are people losing their jobs to foreign car companies everyday. These are people like us that are blue collar and rely on manufacturing jobs to feed their kids. Buying from Toyota (especially a 2jz which is not american made in anyway) takes money away from the people that need it right here at home.

Third.. Why down grade? Multple V8's from a ton of manufacturers make over 800 hp with a turbo strapped to it why make life harder with a straight 6? I havent seen alot of Camaros with a hemi swapped into it. Wouldnt that be a little cooler than a 6 cylinder?

I could go on about why its not that cool to run a low displacement turbo motor and touch on multiple areas. I started with imports (VWs actually) so I have first hand experience with small turbo motors making impressive hp/l numbers. They arent reliable and peak hp numbers are worthless IMO. I give an otherwise awesome car two thumbs down.

Wow. Just wow. Seriously? Swapping a 'yota motor into a 40 year old domestic is "supporting foreign brands" ? How the hell do you figure that? Toyota hasn't made the Supra in a decade and how long has it been since they've manufactured the 2JZ? It's not like they got a commission check for this build. I'm not even going to waste my time with your other points. Go home to mommy and cry because a car you can now buy in a crate is getting a 1k hp motor that you don't like.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

My car isnt being made in a crate, got a 64 Malibu I cant even buy repop door skins. The 2jz was being issued in the I300 until the end of its life which was a couple years ago (not a decade sorry). Every time a part needs to be ordered for the aforementioned motor thats not 10 years old, that cash goes to Japan not the US.

BTW that car isnt making 1000hp although that motor is capable of it just like that 2000+ hp LSX that was featured in Hot Rod as well.

As far as my other points being moot, fine who the hell cares about the weight distribution from a motor that hangs so far past the front of the wheels? Who cares about the finite lifespan of those motors running on their race gas tunes? Who cares about how much that motor actually costs for the hp is produces?

Those are valid points that you obviously dont give a sht about. Ill assume you havent even driven a twin turbo v8 versus a high hp import motor. The driving experience is very distinct between the two. One pulls through the gears and the other you have to worry about what gear your in. Hell, nowdays you cant even use gas mileage as an excuse to go foreign since the gen 3/4 motors are equaling or besting the competion on that front as far as hp to mpg go.

Im not gonna cry to mommy, Im just gonna shake my head about why its such a stupid way to go with a car
Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 79nova
to all there own ,i dont like they started with restored rs/ss car
That's the only thing that bothered me about it. If they would have started with some BS 6 cylinder car thats another thing. I wouldn't put an LS motor in that car, let alone a 2JZ.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i mean... lets be honest... there are a few very amazing engines out there, the first three that usually come to mind are the lsx, the 2jz and the ford mod motor; and really, in any swap (especially for a magazine), the engine is gonna be hella built, and ill probably have respect for it whatever it is.

that being said. 6 cylinder in a 1st gen?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

I thought that in a sub forum dedicated specifically to CONVERSIONS and HYBRIDS, people here would be a little more accepting of this swap. Sure, you could call it the bastardizing of a early Camaro, or you could call it pretty damn sweet that somebody had a dream of pumping up a 3L toyota engine and stuffing it in a badass ride, and actually executing it to perfection.

When i started my triumph wagon/ls2 swap, nobody in the UK rolled over in their grave...

It if keeps another car on the road, and means publicity, why the hell not?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my personal issue is id rather not want to drive a car that you HAVE to run 37psi. wayyyyy too peaky. id rather the leave the 1st gens alone but whatever. 8xxrwhp on race gas isnt TOO outrageous, but at least its clean nonetheless
Old 03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by deathbyspoon
I thought that in a sub forum dedicated specifically to CONVERSIONS and HYBRIDS, people here would be a little more accepting of this swap. Sure, you could call it the bastardizing of a early Camaro, or you could call it pretty damn sweet that somebody had a dream of pumping up a 3L toyota engine and stuffing it in a badass ride, and actually executing it to perfection.

When i started my triumph wagon/ls2 swap, nobody in the UK rolled over in their grave...

It if keeps another car on the road, and means publicity, why the hell not?
this is a site devoted to the LS1 and variants. There probably wouldnt be a grumbling if this was on supra forums or if this site was called 2jztech.com. IMO if your gonna be throwing a 3 liter anything into a first gen camaro it better have been used in an open wheeled race car that runs in the IRL.

As far as legendary motors are concerned, why hasnt anyone talked about the Hemi? Its variants make over 7000 hp with mechanical injection. The skyline Rb26dett is capable of the same power as the 2jz and its almost a half liter smaller so go figure.

The 2jz isnt the end all be all of magical motor designs by any stretch of the imagination. And let me reiterate this again, just cause you can tune them up to a 1000hp they dont last long, built motor or otherwise. They have durabilty issues at that power level and may last a little while in a drag car but you arent gonna get over 500 miles on the motor running it like that. Nobody ever talks about when they grenade or how many motors were trashed on the dyno trying to hit 4 digit power levels. A forged LQ9 with a single turbo can hit 1000hp and keep on rolling if you want to compare them dollar for dollar spent on the engines. I can comfortabley say that for 15k you could easily churn out 1100hp on a built lq9 but only hit 8-900 for the 2jz at the same cost.

So reliabilty, cost and hp output are all worse with the supra motor. Tell me again why its so great??
Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Launching!

You can say whatever you want, these engine are very good and sound awesome..

i personally could not care less , if an russian submarine engine would have the power i want , and availability / weight etc. is good , i'm all for it

but right now the ls1 is my "russian submarine" engine
Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Well, there is supposed to be a guy that stuffed a Sherman tank engine in a early Mustang...........

*Edit* Found it!
http://www.mustangblog.com/blog/1017...an-tank-engine
Old 03-02-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i got nothing against it really, i would have prefered a ls engine or a tt bbc
but it doesnt matter anyway.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by matty b
this is a site devoted to the LS1 and variants. There probably wouldnt be a grumbling if this was on supra forums or if this site was called 2jztech.com. IMO if your gonna be throwing a 3 liter anything into a first gen camaro it better have been used in an open wheeled race car that runs in the IRL.

As far as legendary motors are concerned, why hasnt anyone talked about the Hemi? Its variants make over 7000 hp with mechanical injection. The skyline Rb26dett is capable of the same power as the 2jz and its almost a half liter smaller so go figure.

The 2jz isnt the end all be all of magical motor designs by any stretch of the imagination. And let me reiterate this again, just cause you can tune them up to a 1000hp they dont last long, built motor or otherwise. They have durabilty issues at that power level and may last a little while in a drag car but you arent gonna get over 500 miles on the motor running it like that. Nobody ever talks about when they grenade or how many motors were trashed on the dyno trying to hit 4 digit power levels. A forged LQ9 with a single turbo can hit 1000hp and keep on rolling if you want to compare them dollar for dollar spent on the engines. I can comfortabley say that for 15k you could easily churn out 1100hp on a built lq9 but only hit 8-900 for the 2jz at the same cost.

So reliabilty, cost and hp output are all worse with the supra motor. Tell me again why its so great??

There are plenty of people over on supraforums that daily drive high hp supras with no problems. Not sure where your durability claims come from but whatever. Also the rb26dett "can" make good power but on average no where near what they're getting out of 2jz's, With the rb26 they're using at least a 2.8 stroker setup and it's much harder/expensive to make it and only a handfull of people know how.

Quick Reply: A taste of our own medicine