Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L 64 Impala

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L 64 Impala

6 Months ago I decided to purchase a 64 Impala which I received a hell of a deal on, $3000, original SS, 44k miles - VIN # originates in back to being manufactured in New York.

*Most recent pictures of my car are shown above*

So I've decided on swapping the tired old stock 327ci engine to a more updated LS1 - rather an LQ4. From my understanding of countless days reading LS1tech articles the LQ4 swap would be easier retrofitted into my vehicle since the accessories sit up higher and it will less interference with the Steering box.

Now I definitely understand that this isn't going to be the easiest endeavor but it is manageable. My budget I can say is about $3000 for the engine swap alone - this doesn't include disk brakes, performance suspension etc.

Before I digress, I wanted to create a part list or my thoughts on what I'll be using during the swap and after and hear your thoughts for or against using that specific part.

So here it goes (I would like to use this thread as a diary of my progress to come if that is okay with the MODS)

Engine and tranny: LQ4/4L60e combo - will be using LS1 intake

Wiring Harness: Will use stock wiring harness (the salvage yards here in new york sell the engines with wiring harness and ECU for $950). Once I'm done with the swap I'll try a painless wiring harness.

Oil Pan and Accessories: From what I have read off you threads the LQ4 truck oil pan and accessory mounts should not give me any difficulties - please correct me if I am wrong.

Exhaust Manifolds: According to BPR - I can utilize stock exhaust manifolds from the LS1 platform - specifically from a 98 camaro.

Throttle Body: LS1 Throttle Body.

EFI Fuel Rails: I have read that the LQ4 Fuel rails do have a return line that I can use - please correct me if I am wrong.

Fuel Pump / Fuel Tank and Plumbing: To stick with a budget, I decided not to spend $1000 On a Rock valley pump but instead read a thread where they put a "Tanks" Internal Pump and Sump - link below - as far back into a New Stock tank as possible. The pump is $250 and the new Tank is about $150. The lines should be 3/8 leaving from the pump and returning.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

Motor Mounts: Classic Performance sells Motor mounts and plates specifically for this swap. Part Number: AT1003 or I can go with the S&P Mount Plates (not sure of part number). The cross member bar I can order from S&P as well. Does anyone have an idea of how far back this will put my floor shifter?

Radiator and Cooling: Thought about using the Stock LS1 radiator and using the same fan shroud - any inputs on this?

Thank you for all your input: I know that there are a couple of threads where guys are putting the LS1 into 62 impalas and there are several threads dedicated to making the LS1 swap as simple as possible. I have read these and have asks questions - which is why I have decided to take this endeavor - any informative input would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Beautiful Car and what a good deal!!!!!!!! Im doing a LS 2 swap into my 62 impala. I think im going to use the S&P mounts. Havent decided if i want to spend $ on a new harness or just usethe original. I have to see how much room i have with the stock harness. i want to try and keep everything hidden, so i guess I will see when I do the mock up. Keep up the good thread cuz I will be following it.

This is my thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...62-impala.html

Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 62pala
Beautiful Car and what a good deal!!!!!!!! Im doing a LS 2 swap into my 62 impala. I think im going to use the S&P mounts. Havent decided if i want to spend $ on a new harness or just usethe original. I have to see how much room i have with the stock harness. i want to try and keep everything hidden, so i guess I will see when I do the mock up. Keep up the good thread cuz I will be following it.

This is my thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...62-impala.html

Thanks

Btw you definitely have a great looking car. Your 62 was one of the ones i had been reading about lol. I've been kind of lurking the past few months just trying to gather information on the swap. Any tips?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a good plan. For your shifter, you should be able to make your floor shifter worker. The shift lever on the trans is in about the same location as other GM automatics. You will need to make some adjustments on the shift indicator and maybe the amount of travel it needs. Should not be too difficult.

Pat
Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Sounds like you have a good plan. For your shifter, you should be able to make your floor shifter worker. The shift lever on the trans is in about the same location as other GM automatics. You will need to make some adjustments on the shift indicator and maybe the amount of travel it needs. Should not be too difficult.

Pat
So you don't think Ill have to modify my trans tunnel?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Wow makes my wish i had kept my vert. 64' SS (burned in a garage fire)
Old 02-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

That's crazy! Sorry to hear that.

As I write this I am accounting to see how much stuff I can order this week. This is what I will order within the next week or two:

Classic Performance Mounts (PN: AT1003 - 136.99)
S&P Cross Member for the 4l60e (Haven't priced and no part number)
Fuel Pump from Tanks (PN: #PA-4 - $225)
New fuel tank from Classic Industries (PN:GM31 - 159.95)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

I realized that I don't have the room to do the swap myself, called a shop called D1 here in New York to get in estimate if I bring all the parts - hopefully I can get a good estimate... they seem to do great work from what I have seen.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Keep us updated with what you end up doing. I've been getting my part list together for the last while, it seems to have a lot in common with yours.

I'm doing a full frame-off restoration/upgrading of my '64, but chose to go with a cam'd L33 backed with a 3400 TC and a beefy TH350. My goal is to get a reliable NA 400 RWHP/TQ. "What's under the hood? M'eh, a mild.... more or less stock 327 and a 3 speed."

I'll be starting my own thread once the L33 gets here in about a week. I plan on getting it swapped in as-is and try to make do with the truck accessories and manifolds. LS6 intake and long tubes headers will come into play before it goes in for a final tune.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Nice... I'm going for a TT setup - starting off with the Lq4 then when I move back to FL ill be ready for the TT setup since there are a lot better roads than NY and the cost of tuning is a lot less.

My goal is to break 800wrhp

3700lbs @ 18 1/2ft of sheet metal flying down the strip

-----------------

D1 never got back to me on cost for the swap, they said they have to see how many billable hours to charge me... I wish there was someone here in New York who could do the swap for me... I just don't have the room.

Last edited by redz88; 02-16-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Teching In

I was really tempted to do another custom turbo setup, but this time I just want it to be a clean and simple NA project.

Anyway, I thought I'd share an alternative fuel tank for 61-64 Impalas. If you're retaining the OEM location, you can always use a spun aluminum tank. You can get them with internal baffles, sump, sending unit flange areas, male or female NPT or AN bungs in just about any size..... lots of options.
Here's one vendor w/ reasonable prices and a fair amount of options. http://www.coyote-gear.com/12inch.html

A little creativity and you can have a sweet, low cost solution that will fit in the OEM location. I am pretty sure this is the route I'm going to go with. Only I'm going to mount it running length wise with the frame, under a modified trunk pan so I can still have room for 3" exhaust running all the way to the back of the car AND have 10"-12" wide wheels. I am tired of seeing modified 64's with the exhaust running out infront of the rear tires or even popping through the lower front of the rear quarter (which is kinda cool.....but played out).

Got a shoe horn handy? lol
Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

64', yeah. brings back some high school memories !... but that is another story for another time ...LOL..

$3000 for the swap, it could be done if you did all of the work youself, if you took it to a shop, I would think that most of your $3000 would used up just in the bill for labor.

I would recommend going with a different oil pan, the LQ4 (or any Truck) one is going to hang down a bit too much, look into the Hummer one, LH8 pan, CTS-V or F-Body ones. To make the LQ4 pan work you would have to sit the engine up pertty high or end up cutting about 2-3" off of the bottom of the pan (IMO, not a good idea).

What front accessories are you going to use ?..the LS1 intake and Throttle Body come into contact with the Truck water pump, not sure of all of the detail, but do some research on it and there are ways to get it to work.

If your going to use the LS1 intake, you should just use the LS1 fuel rail, it is returnless, but that way you don't need to run a return line back to the tank. Just use a 99' Vette Regulator/Filter near the tank and that way you only need one feed line to the engine. You can also use after market Regulator and a filters too.

You can try and also look into other late model fuel tanks that are already setup for EFI and would fit in the stock location with minor modifications. I ended up using a 94-96 Impala tank on my Chevelle. I just replaced the internal pump with a Walbro 255 pump that I picked up from Racetroix along with there wiring kit.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee

I would recommend going with a different oil pan, the LQ4 (or any Truck) one is going to hang down a bit too much, look into the Hummer one, LH8 pan, CTS-V or F-Body ones. To make the LQ4 pan work you would have to sit the engine up pertty high or end up cutting about 2-3" off of the bottom of the pan (IMO, not a good idea).

What front accessories are you going to use ?..the LS1 intake and Throttle Body come into contact with the Truck water pump, not sure of all of the detail, but do some research on it and there are ways to get it to work.
I don't know about the truck oil pan being too big for 58-64 x-frames. The crossmember is pretty tall, so I'm pretty sure it'll be fine without mod'ing it or switching over to an alternative pan.

You can use a car intake with truck accessorie setup. It just takes some extra steps. Here's a good write up http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...t=LS6+manifold
There are a few more How-to's that show slightly different methods of getting around the obsticals on PT.

Also, I'm building an L33 with a TR224 comp cam w/ comp cam PR's and LS6 springs, LS6 Intake/INJ/Rail/TB, gaskets and TTY head bolts, new alt and starter, aftermarket harness, motor mounts/uni. crossmember, PCM, and the misc bits to adapt my TH350 for $2000. That includes the purchase price of the L33. Do a little research, deals are out there and it will pay off.

Last edited by swazo; 03-08-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Teching In

any word on this project
Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah.. any info on the Truck pan for the other 64' guys that are thinking about the swap and using the truck pan !????
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

i used the stock radiator off a ls1 camaro and the same fans.....not 1 problem with that...good luck man...should be a bad *** ride
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry for the late response... Ive been extremely busy with work... regardless thanks for all the interest.

Synopsis of the car: I have the car at a family friend's restoration shop here in New York, The car is going to be there for about a month or so and will be painted 2009 General Motors black. The Side moldings are being removed, as well as the antenna in the rear quarter panel. The Fender, Impala, and SS emblems will all be retained. The picture above is from a recent contact I made, a photographer who shoots for Suicidegirls.com, and is most likely featuring my car (after its painted) in his next photo shoot in the area - His name is Steve Prue, you can see his work at teamrockstarimages.com - the picture above is a 67 mustang that my friend is restoring, but has done little work to - if any... I think he just gutted the interior... long story short on that car... the guy dropped it off and seems to be having a hard time coming up with the money for the restoration (maybe he'll sell it... hmmm a Vert 67 Mustang :-P)

Engine Swap
: The LS1 swap is going to be my next modification, since I am still in the process of research all the tidbits involved in the swap. The only reason I decided to paint the car first is because my friend is 75 years old and honestly... If he dies soon... then I'll have to pay retail for a paint job and I don't have $10,000 in my pocket lol. He is doing the work for $2,500 - which we all know is an amazing deal.

swazo: Thanks for the alternative option to the fuel tank, however by using the tank instead of modding an original tank, I will in turn have to create mounting straps a new fuel neck etc. By modding a new stock fuel tank with in-tank sump and pump I eliminate a lot of guess work.

Bczee: Thanks for the information. According to S&P, I can retain the stock LQ4 oil pan. They recently swap an LQ4 into a 63 impala, using their mounts of course... The parts guide that I listed above is mostly from speaking with Mike at S&P - He his extremely helpful. The good thing is I can use stock Camaro Exhaust manifolds and save myself a bunch of money - at least before its turbo-ed

Lineman: I apologize for the late response lol. Work is HORRIBLY busy. I am a recruiter for temporary staffing agency in New York and we are hosting a major event in New York. I am in charge of hiring 239 people for the show - and come April I will have to supervise them as well lol.

59Camaro: Thanks! I Just added you on myspace.

To All: I recently realized that 3k is definitely a hard budget to stick with here in New York, if I was back in Florida it would be 10x easier. I would have more space, where I can could do the swap at my leisure, unfortunately I do not have that luxury at the current moment. After parking my car in the back yard for the winter, I realized that I only have 1 1/2 - 2ft of room in front of the nose of the 64... Definitely not enough room for a EFI Swap. The good thing is I have recently made a couple of contacts who do have the extra room and would be willing to do the swap for me... not free of course but at a reasonable price... I'm sure I can find someone to do it for me for 1k, as apposed to paying a local shop 3k+ (I've been shopping around). I even got an estimate from a local tuner shop just for the hell of it... (they usually work on imports - specialize in imports actually), and they informed me that they have a $900.00 flat fee rate for engine swaps... I seemed really concerned since they definitely seemed eager to insist that included the wiring harness, ecu mount, fuel setup etc... I dont trust anyone who decides that a 4 cylinder swap and blueprinting a EFI setup should cost the same amount lol.

I'm honestly on myspace more than LS1tech... feel free to add me there if you would like.

P.S.: Thanks for all the feedback once again. I am really open minded to new ideas, so please keep them coming.

Last edited by redz88; 03-16-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Oh on an additional side note... I know someone who is selling a 64 SS inline 6 (honestly it's really shitty condition but drivable --- piston rings are going, so the car is smoking lol) for 5k... honestly the kid doesn't know **** about cars... He originally told me that he paid $500 for the car... which is believable considering the condition - then told me he bought it for $6,000 then the next day he said he bought it for $5,000. This also went with the story that he wanted to keep the car original (he doesnt have the money to order and parts), and asked me if I knew anyone who would rebuild the inline 6 for him... I gave him a number to a local shop who specializes in engine rebuilds and they are quoting him $1,800 - for a COMPLETE rebuild. He can't come up with the money so now he wants to sell it... for 5k... its worth like 1k maybe... regardless the car is here in New York, I'll forward you the kids number if any of you are in the area and are interested in the car.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redz88
Oh on an additional side note... I know someone who is selling a 64 SS inline 6 (honestly it's really shitty condition but drivable --- piston rings are going, so the car is smoking lol) for 5k... honestly the kid doesn't know **** about cars... He originally told me that he paid $500 for the car... which is believable considering the condition - then told me he bought it for $6,000 then the next day he said he bought it for $5,000. This also went with the story that he wanted to keep the car original (he doesnt have the money to order and parts), and asked me if I knew anyone who would rebuild the inline 6 for him... I gave him a number to a local shop who specializes in engine rebuilds and they are quoting him $1,800 - for a COMPLETE rebuild. He can't come up with the money so now he wants to sell it... for 5k... its worth like 1k maybe... regardless the car is here in New York, I'll forward you the kids number if any of you are in the area and are interested in the car.
that guy is nutz....lol well good luck bro...n trust me ur 3k budget is a joke wen i started my 67 i said mine would be a 10k budget n it turned out to be close to or over 20k...lol i dont regret it tho...i love the car
Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 59 camaro
that guy is nutz....lol well good luck bro...n trust me ur 3k budget is a joke wen i started my 67 i said mine would be a 10k budget n it turned out to be close to or over 20k...lol i dont regret it tho...i love the car
lol well 3k is just for the engine swap, the paint alone is just $2,500, not including rims (i want Vintage Wheel Works V45s - $1200) and tires which are additional... etc. lol.

Oh not to mention tubular arm controls... have any of you priced them for a 64 impala? Talk about an arm and a leg lol.

My car (not really mine but you know what I mean), with V45s... these are 16x8s... They are coming out with 17x8 this summer so I'm going to order two 17x8s for the rear and two 16x8s for the front, to have a nice stance.

By the way, The car above is essentially what my car will look like without the molding across the car.

Last edited by redz88; 03-17-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.0L 64 Impala