Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Nova's LM7 Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
If you were to depin the circuits from the pcm connector that pertain to the transmission and had your vats disabled you will be fine.

If it is not programmed to a manual transmission you will just set circuit codes for things like shift solnoids and trans temp sensor. Your engine will not be in limp mode nor will your TAC be effected. If you have a check engine light connect (which i assume you wont?) you will never know.

All you HAVE to do to make the engine run/work is disable VATS
How would I do that exactly? And what does VATS stand for? I apologize for all of the questions but I appreciate the help
Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 74NOVA
How would I do that exactly? And what does VATS stand for? I apologize for all of the questions but I appreciate the help
VATS = Vehicle Anti Theft System

As ForcedInduction said it's really the only thing that would need to be tuned out so the car can run (unless you get a "VATS box" but there's lots of varying opinions on those). W/o the VATS the engine is allowed to start and continue to run, and all the PCM will do is throw codes for whatever EGR/rear O2/manual trans/etc. sensors you haven't included in the conversion and thus the PCM cannot detect.

As for the other stuff about de-pinning... I have no idea, I just chose to tune my PCM instead.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by frojoe
VATS = Vehicle Anti Theft System

As ForcedInduction said it's really the only thing that would need to be tuned out so the car can run (unless you get a "VATS box" but there's lots of varying opinions on those). W/o the VATS the engine is allowed to start and continue to run, and all the PCM will do is throw codes for whatever EGR/rear O2/manual trans/etc. sensors you haven't included in the conversion and thus the PCM cannot detect.

As for the other stuff about de-pinning... I have no idea, I just chose to tune my PCM instead.
So if I got my PCM tuned they could get rid of the VATS and all of the other codes (EGR/rear o2/manual trans/etc.)..?

Another question. How hard is it to change fly-by-wire to cable? Do I just need to get the appropriate throttle body? Also, will an LS1 TB fit on a 5.3 intake?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 74NOVA
So if I got my PCM tuned they could get rid of the VATS and all of the other codes (EGR/rear o2/manual trans/etc.)..?

Another question. How hard is it to change fly-by-wire to cable? Do I just need to get the appropriate throttle body? Also, will an LS1 TB fit on a 5.3 intake?
Yes, there is a boatload of stuff that you can tune/tune out on the PCM, including all of what you mentioned.

You would need the cable throttlebody and possibly a different sensor connector at the TB end of the wiring harness, not sure on that though. Would also need to tune out the TAC/pedal throttle position input in the PCM. Obviously you would not need to source a DBW pedal and TAC box though, which is nice if you don't already have one.

I'm not positive whether an LS1 cable throttlebody will fit on a truck intake, but I believe the LS1 TB is 75mm and the truck TB is 78mm, and they both have a triangular 3-bolt pattern, so I would guess that they are interchangeable.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by frojoe
Yes, there is a boatload of stuff that you can tune/tune out on the PCM, including all of what you mentioned.

You would need the cable throttlebody and possibly a different sensor connector at the TB end of the wiring harness, not sure on that though. Would also need to tune out the TAC/pedal throttle position input in the PCM. Obviously you would not need to source a DBW pedal and TAC box though, which is nice if you don't already have one.

I'm not positive whether an LS1 cable throttlebody will fit on a truck intake, but I believe the LS1 TB is 75mm and the truck TB is 78mm, and they both have a triangular 3-bolt pattern, so I would guess that they are interchangeable.
How do I disable the VATS system exactly and what will I have to do to the wiring harness and PCM to run cable drive instead of fly-by-wire?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Got my engine/complete harness delivered this weekend:

even included the o2 sensors and stock flanges :

Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know exactly how to convert drive-by-wire to cable..?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 AM
On The Tree

I did it on a newer drive by wire manifold, I had to cut off a vaccum nipple and plug it on the passenger of the manifold because the vaccum line is part of the throttle body on drive by cable. I just found a plug for the hole and used RTV to hold it in place(black), can't even tell there was a hole there. I also had to add a stud on the newer manifold to hold the throttle cable bracket in place on the top of the manifold. It would be easier to find a cheap good used one. Why not go with drive by wire? Whoever does your harness can give you everything you need to make it work or tell you where to find it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Teching In

I'll keep an eye on this...I'm eventually throwing an LS something into my 74 after I get the dang 53 swap done.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 70Nova SS
I did it on a newer drive by wire manifold, I had to cut off a vaccum nipple and plug it on the passenger of the manifold because the vaccum line is part of the throttle body on drive by cable. I just found a plug for the hole and used RTV to hold it in place(black), can't even tell there was a hole there. I also had to add a stud on the newer manifold to hold the throttle cable bracket in place on the top of the manifold. It would be easier to find a cheap good used one. Why not go with drive by wire? Whoever does your harness can give you everything you need to make it work or tell you where to find it.
A friend of mine is doing all of my wiring so we want to figure out all the specifics we can. So what has to be done to the PCM..?

And do you have any pictures of the cable-driven setup?

Last edited by 74NOVA; 02-24-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Additional Question
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

bump. any help?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would PM John Spears. He's very knowledgeable and if anyone he's be able to help ya, assuming that doesn't go against his business morals!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Is it better to run a fuel pressure regulator closer to the fuel cell or the engine?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for a return-style regulator, having it closer to the fuel cell cuts down on the length of the return line, making it a lot less cluttered under the car. it makes no difference otherwise, and it doesn't matter for dead-heads (which i wouldn't run anyway). i plan to run a corvette-style (WIX PN 33737) filter/regulator.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
for a return-style regulator, having it closer to the fuel cell cuts down on the length of the return line, making it a lot less cluttered under the car. it makes no difference otherwise, and it doesn't matter for dead-heads (which i wouldn't run anyway). i plan to run a corvette-style (WIX PN 33737) filter/regulator.
That's what I thought. Thanks alot for the part number. I was trying to find those FPRs for a good price and couldn't.. Why is the outlet so big?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use RUS-640850 on the fuel inlet, RUS-640860 on the return line, and RUS-639210 on the outlet - they are expensive as hell though. I don't know what you mean by the outlet being so big?? It's 3/8" in, 3/8" out, and 5/16" on the return line.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Use RUS-640850 on the fuel inlet, RUS-640860 on the return line, and RUS-639210 on the outlet - they are expensive as hell though. I don't know what you mean by the outlet being so big?? It's 3/8" in, 3/8" out, and 5/16" on the return line.

I don't know maybe it just looks big to me haha. Anyways I just ordered one. Can't I just use FI hose with FI clamps?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

the one side "looks" so big because it is a 3/8" female quick connect fitting. It is the opposite of the other side which is the 3/8" male quick connect. of course the return is 5/16" male quick connect.....

Rob
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by robbied31
the outlet side "looks" so big because it is a 3/8" female quick connect fitting. It is the opposite of the input side which is the 3/8" male quick connect. of course the return is 5/16" male quick connect.....

Rob
Thanks man, gotta start eating breakfast before I post up.. Haha
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Use RUS-640850 on the fuel inlet, RUS-640860 on the return line, and RUS-639210 on the outlet - they are expensive as hell though..
Just FYI, Summit sells equivalents to all of those fittings for a couple bucks less each if you're really on a budget (like me ).

Nevermind.. Just looked it up and they just sell the RUS-639210 equivalent (SUM-2200077)

Last edited by 74NOVA; 02-26-2009 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Correction

Quick Reply: My Nova's LM7 Transplant