Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS 1 type engine in a Late model Astro Van?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003 | 03:26 PM
Teching In

Default LS 1 type engine in a Late model Astro Van?

Has anyone put a LS1 in a late model Astro Van AWD? Need to stay Smog legal here in Kalifornia.
Old 10-12-2003 | 03:53 PM
Launching!

Default Re: LS 1 type engine in a Late model Astro Van?

They sure have, I dont remember the member's name offhand, but I believe you could find it if you were to search this forum.
Old 10-12-2003 | 07:22 PM
On The Tree

If you are in no hurry it can be done. I have been driving my 94 Astro AWD since Feb of 2002. Runs great. GM should install LS1's at the factory and they would sell a lot more. I started on Oct-9-2001. I can give you more details if you wish.

A 5.3 engine may be easier but it is also heavier. The major difference between a 94 and a 02 is the front clip which gives abit more room under the hood.
Old 10-12-2003 | 10:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks to both of you. I did see one Astro that had been done in this forum but it was the older style. The main difference is the smog equipment. The newer vans are obd2 and have a lot more smog stuff on them. Calif. smog laws are real picky and all have to be there and work like the donor. The engine has to be the same year or newer than the van. I have not had much luck finding mounts etc., older style is easy to find, or any info on making the obd2 all work off the new engine. One reason I thought of the 5.3 is that the LS1 is now only in the Vette and it is too wide with all of the accessories. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-13-2003 | 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

ummm..don't you just have to put a 2002 in there? if so, they made plenty of LS1 F-bodies. You could also just get the accessories and drive from an F-Fody of Truck
Old 10-14-2003 | 10:52 AM
Teching In

On to the work, thanks for the ideas
Old 10-29-2003 | 12:57 PM
Teching In

sanctions1, check out www.astrosafari.com we have several members with LS1 in new style vans.
Old 10-30-2003 | 07:59 PM
Teching In

Been there and you are right some do have the LS1 in a newer van but not a BDS2
New world with that smog stuff.
Old 11-01-2003 | 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Sanctions1

I don't understand your problem.

If you are installing an LS1 into a late model M-L van you will have to build your own motor mounts (It's easy) and you will have to use the LS1 PCM or go Speed Density with an aftermarket ECM.

The PCM for the M-L body will not work with the LS1 as it is a 6 cylinder. (this is my interpretation of your last post. Correct me if I am wrong)

Also, by using the LS1 PCM and harness you retain ALL of the pollution equipment for the LS1 engine. I even kept the AIR system capabilities.

The amount of wiring you will have to do to mate the two systems should be minimal, but you will need the wiring schematics for both vehicles.

You will have to raise the engine about an inch front and rear to retain the proper drivetrain angles.

You may have to modify the oil pan and the differential suspension bracket on the passenger side but that is fairly easy as well.

Engine accessory brackets will have to be fabricated as the truck accessories are different as you are probably aware of.
I fabricated my brackets out of block aluminum with a die cutter and my trusty Black and Decker router with an aluminum cutter.

I used the Astro AC compressor, but if it ever fails I will go to the LS1 AC compressor which means building a new bracket, but so be it.

I have patterns of most of my work if you are interested, or if I can help, let me know.

Neil

Last edited by LS1 PWRD; 11-01-2003 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2003 | 04:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks Neil and yes I would be interested in your patterns. What year of Astro did you put the LS1 in and where are you state wise? My problem is I am in California and according to the state smog board I can't do this swap. They say that the 2002 Astro Van AWD, my year, is smogged by the chassis and not the engine so the only engine I can put in is the 4.3 V-6. I have checked with a local inspector, that is real good on this stuff, and he says that if I do it and get the right inspector at the referee station that it stands a good chance of passing and from then on no problem but it might not also. I will have to use all the smog equipment from what ever the LS1 comes from and even then it is a maybe. I haven't been able to find anyone here local that has done a swap in a 2000 and up Astro to talk to and see what they went through. So any help is appreciated. Also I have had back surgery since I started this and that is slowing me down real bad, actually stopped the work but still doing the thought process. Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2003 | 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I think if you check with the smog people the replacement engine has to meet or exceed the specifications of the vehicle. That is the way it is here in Ontario, Canada. The LS1 engine will exceed the limits required for the the 4.3. In other words the LS1 readings will be lower than the 4.3 readings, so there should be no objection. I believe if you ask them to look up their readings for the LS1 and compare them to the 4.3 readings they will have to agree with you.

Our rules while not as sticky as California's are based on the California regulations as I believe most are. We also have 4 different classes that vehicles can fit into. We also have inspectors going around doing spot checks. I know of several guys who had to pay a fine plus having to install catalytic convertors because they had removed them from their cars.

Check with the smog people, I may be wrong but I have found government employees are usually very helpful if they are approached properly.

Let me know what your e-mail address is and I can get off some pictures, etc. to you.

The only difference between your van and mine is the amount of bodywork hanging over the front axle. (front clip)
Old 11-02-2003 | 12:34 PM
Teching In

No you don't understand the 2002 Astro AWD Van is smogged by the chassis. The smog people do not care if the newer engine is cleaner, only that the chassis is what has been smogged. I have two letters and several emails from the smog board on the subject and they are very exact in what they say about it. My only chance is to find a referee station that will do as you said and check the engine out and then decide on what is or is not to be. The state says no but the final say is the referee station. This comes right from the California smog people. So here is to hoping that the referee station is cool.
Old 11-02-2003 | 01:29 PM
On The Tree

So what you are saying is I can't take a '57 chevy and stick an LS1 powertrain it, if I was to move to California.
Old 11-02-2003 | 02:09 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sanctions1
No you don't understand the 2002 Astro AWD Van is smogged by the chassis. The smog people do not care if the newer engine is cleaner, only that the chassis is what has been smogged. I have two letters and several emails from the smog board on the subject and they are very exact in what they say about it. My only chance is to find a referee station that will do as you said and check the engine out and then decide on what is or is not to be. The state says no but the final say is the referee station. This comes right from the California smog people. So here is to hoping that the referee station is cool.
Well I guess if you're not allowed to do it, you can't do it. But from a smog equipment standpoint you already have everything in place already, which would make the actual swap and hookup pretty easy and straightforward.

We've done California legal systems that had to ADD all of the fuel tank features that you already have on your van. You wouldn't have to touch your fuel system, just interface it to the LS1 harness. You might have to add the LS1 A.I.R. pump setup, but I think that would be it. (you even have the correct computer already, but the harness is all wrong).

Like I said, if you're not allowed to do it, that's one thing, but as far as the OBD2 part of it goes, there's nothing there that hasn't already been conquered.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 11-02-2003 | 03:37 PM
Teching In

You can do anything you want, almost, to a 57 but to a late model you have to go by a different set of rules. Anything 30 years old or more is smog exempt, as I understand it, but late model cars are smogged and each is done different. Some are smogged as the chassis, mine included I never heard of this before getting into contact with the smog board, some by the engine, which makes it easier to do. This is the way it was explained to me by the smog board.

I think I can put in the LS1 with the donor trans and use the harness and computer too. Change the out put shaft of the trans to except the transfer case and using all the smog equipment that came on the donor and the van I may get away with it. Once again depending on the referee smog station. I will make it look as near factory as I can, hopefully that will help.
Old 11-02-2003 | 06:27 PM
On The Tree

You shouldn't have any problem making it look "factory".

The only item I didn't use from the LS1 setup was the AIR pump and had I needed it, to pass the smog test, I was going to build a compartment for it under the van where it would be out of the elements. I have it wired and plumbed ready to go into service.

I had to meet the requirements of my vehicle because I had them list me as a "hot rod" with a 5.7 engine. They didn't care what 5.7 engine it was as long as it past the requirements for a 94 Astro and it did that easily because the 4.3 engine is not a "clean" engine, whereas the LS1 is a clean engine.

If I can find my copy of the test I will send you a copy.

One other thing that may be in your favor is the AWD. Here in Ontario they are unable to do the "E" test on an AWD because the dyno is for a 2 wheel drive vehicle, not an all wheel drive. What they do here is, the test that is normally done on the dyno under load is done in neutral at the same RPM and the idle test is the same as the 2wd vehicle.

I understand that the newer tests coming out are going to be a visual test and a hook up to the OBD II connector to make sure none of the pollution equipment has been bypassed or removed.

I'll have to go along with John's comments but it sure goes against the 'grain' of an old 'hot rodder'.
Old 11-02-2003 | 07:50 PM
Teching In

I agree about going against the grain of an old hot rodder. I have a hot rod it is a 1930 Chevy two door sedan. It isn't any where near done but it also doesn't have any smog equipment on it and doesn't need any because of the age.

As far as making it look factory, I have seen two swaps here local both are older vans than mine and the installs look like a hatchet job. since they are older I guess the inspection isn't as tough. One is a 1990 and the other is a 1992. Both are using the old style 350 not even a LT1. Both are fast but under the hood look bad.

Mine will be my daily driver when finished or when my truck sells which ever is first.
So it will have to be done right and look right I can't stand the hatchet look.

Thanks for any help all of you have given me. Hopefully I will be well enough to do it right after the first of the year. Until then I will just get everything I need and do the research for the swap. A LS1 will set in my van one day soon.
Old 11-04-2003 | 01:14 AM
Teching In

Has anyone put a LS1 in a late model Astro Van AWD? Need to stay Smog legal here in Kalifornia.
Where in Kali are you
There is a shop in whittier that will help you wire that beast 562 945 5300 the guy also pointed us to the local F BODY parts house.
Old 11-04-2003 | 09:53 AM
Teching In

I am in Ventura so Whittier isn't that far away. What was the name of the shop? Thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-2003 | 12:39 PM
Teching In

I am in Ventura so Whittier isn't that far away. What was the name of the shop? Thanks for the info.
The name of the shop is DT Motorsports

Quick Reply: LS 1 type engine in a Late model Astro Van?