Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 camaro with ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 camaro with ls1

I know this has been covered before but I want to make sure that I understand everything I have read before I spend all this money.
First buy an engine with the harness and pcm. Send both the harness and pcm to speartech to modify. Buy engine mounts from brp or year one. Exchange oil pan and buy headers from s&p. I'm staying with rear steer so If I understand corectly The mounts will work with ac. what do I need to do with the fuel lines? What kind of controls for throtle control do I need? The last question is what have I missed? Thanks for all and anyones help.

Mark
Old 10-13-2003, 10:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: 69 camaro with ls1

if you use an f-body type serpentine belt system, the A/C should clear the k-member with the BRP/YearOne mounts. Corvette belt system might require a notch added to the cross-member.

Fuel lines depends on the level of hp you are planning. Get a new stock tank sumped, go with a good inline or in-tank electric pump.

LS1 f-body cable-driven throttle body. Even a truck LS1 throttle body will work. The electric motor driven Corvette ones are to be avoided though.

Tony
Old 10-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

hey nine ball doesnt your 69 camaro have a ls1
did you do the swap youself i have a couple questions about it to
Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'm in the process of doing the swap. Check out www.ExtremeG.net for progress and photos. I'll start tearing the car apart next week, just finished gathering all the parts.

Tony
Old 10-14-2003, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gas tank depends on budget.. sump a stocker or get a sumped/baffeled one made up ($900 with pump)

Like Tony said on the rest.. BRP for the mounts and check out the 69 LS1 on the Year One site.. lots of info there. Im running the factory gearbox with S&P headers as well. You will also need to figuer out the radiator situation, where to get guage info from and stuff like that.

Im running from the fuel tank to a 99 vette filter/regulator (with return to tank) then a single line to the fbody fuel rail. S&P makes a nice hard fuel line off the fuel rail. I will be running the fbody alt and PS pump.. no a/c.

Good luck
Old 10-14-2003, 07:01 AM
Teching In

thanks guys, Steeve2000ss how did the headers fit with the gear box? Tony, I've talked to you before at pt.com. Right now I just want a low milage engine and I'll rebuild(modify) it in a few years. I just want to get this thing on the road again, Its been four years.
I was'nt going to do this swap but I think all of you have talked me into it. When I start the install I'll get some pics together so others can see how it goes together.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 10-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Hey nine ball are going to do a write up on the swap, or anything like that. I am in the process of finding a car right now that would be a good car to do a partial restoration, and the LS1 swap. I am hoping that by december to janurary I will be ready to do the swap and I could use all of the Info i could get.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Are the S&P motor mounts different than the year one mounts?
Old 10-21-2003, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I will be taking tons of photos of the swap, as well as listing part numbers used for the conversion. Should be helpful for future LS1 1st gen swappers.

Tony
Old 10-25-2003, 02:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ventura
Are the S&P motor mounts different than the year one mounts?
Here's a few pictures of the S&P mounts. I had to modify them a little, but I am not using the stock subframe so I can't say how they'd work in the stock one....

- Jeremy

Old 10-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Default 69 camaro ls1

My car is a 72 Ventura(same subframe as the 69 camaro). I sent my ls1 pan to S&P for the modification. Now they want to know how much to remove. How much did they remove from you other guys pan. I wanted to use the year one mounts and the S&P headers along with my rear steer. They seem to doubt that,that can be done. They say their headers are designed to work with their motor mount plates and they don't seem to know if that will allow me to use the original alternator etc.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Launching!

QUESTION FOR yagrmiestr ...HOW DID YOU FIT THE C5 ROTORS AND CALIPERS INTO YOUR SUSPENSION ? ...WAS IT A STRAIGHT BOLT ON ? THANK YOU
Old 10-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gEtyOPaPiOn
QUESTION FOR yagrmiestr ...HOW DID YOU FIT THE C5 ROTORS AND CALIPERS INTO YOUR SUSPENSION ? ...WAS IT A STRAIGHT BOLT ON ? THANK YOU
I am using an aftermarket subframe (www.waynedue.com) that uses C4 a-arms, hubs, and spindles. I got a C4 to C5 brake conversion from vette brakes, so it was bolt-on since I had the C4 suspension on front. This subframe also converts the car to front steer (5.0 mustang rack believe it or not!) so I didn't have to deal with the whole oil pan problem. I did have to build my own headers though.

Last edited by yagrmiestr; 10-28-2003 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info...did you get just the brackets for the conversion or you had to buy the whole brake set up .... I have a C4 and C5 suspension but still deciding which would be cheaper to install on the original subframe
Old 10-28-2003, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info...did you get just the brackets for the conversion or you had to buy the whole brake set up .... I have a C4 and C5 suspension but still deciding which would be cheaper to install on the original subframe
I don't think vette brakes will sell just the brackets, but this place will. http://www.electro-dynamics.com/

gEtyOPaPiOn, good choice of color. I have a 01' SOM SS. Good to see another nice first gen in the bay area.

Last edited by yagrmiestr; 10-28-2003 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ventura, Just tell S&P to make your oil pan the same as a 1st gen camaro. They did mine without asking me how much to take off. I am also using the S&P mounts and headers. Everything fits good. The stock alternator (02 camaro) fits with no problems.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Teching In

OK, thanks 68 ragtop. Thats what I'll do. Where did you put your a/c compressor, or do you have one? S&P said something about a kit to move it in closer to the block that might work.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Oh just noticed you are from the bay area too LOL.....well you have a nice project goin on .....i dont think mine gonna be as nice lol but ill work on it ....seen yours and now i have to go back to the drawing board lol
Old 10-31-2003, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Oh just noticed you are from the bay area too LOL.....well you have a nice project goin on .....i dont think mine gonna be as nice lol but ill work on it ....seen yours and now i have to go back to the drawing board lol
Thanks!.. your's looks like it will turn out just as nice. You're certainly moving faster than I am

Quick Reply: 69 camaro with ls1