Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Reuse the Fuel Pump from a 2000 Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003 | 07:54 AM
Teching In

Default Can I Reuse the Fuel Pump from a 2000 Trans Am?

Guys,

My LS1 was bought from a wrecked 2000 Trans Am. The package of stuff included the fuel pump assembly from the TA. I was thinking of using just the fuel pump portion of the assembly as the in tank pump for my application ('71 Camaro). Will this work?

I planned on mounting the TA pump to the stock '71 Camaro assembly that drops into the fuel tank then mounting the '99 Vette fuel filter / pressure regulator close to the fuel tank to minimize the length of the return line, then just run a single fuel line up to the fuel rail.

My concern is that I am not sure how the 2000 Trans Am regulated the fuel pressure. I thought I heard that it accomplished this task by varying the fuel pump output? If this is correct, then is this fuel pump useable for my application?

Whaddya think? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2003 | 09:39 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: Can I Reuse the Fuel Pump from a 2000 Trans Am?

It may be difficult to use the pump that way. If you look at your 2000 assembly, the regulator is right there with the pump (it's the thing with the little torx screw in it). To separate all of that and use just the pump is probably a little tough. I would use all of it or none of it.

You could use a 92 TPI Camaro pump pretty easily or an aftermarket Walbro and mount that in the tank.

If you go that route then you could probably sell your complete 2000 tank assembly for some decent money.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 10-18-2003 | 09:33 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Can I Reuse the Fuel Pump from a 2000 Trans Am?

MIKEM79,
I am in the process of doing this very thing to my 68 camaro. I used the complete fuel pump sending unit & had it mounted in a stock 68 tank. We had to put a mini sump in the bottom & rework the mounting flange, (the 00 pump will only colapse to 9"-9 1/4" tall) I think my stock tank was only 8" tall in the location we mounted the pump. when I had my wire harness made, we kept the factory EVAP system functional.(the pump has a presure sensore that needs to function so it does not suck the pump to the tank) The main reason I had to do this was because I am running a non-vented gas cap.
I am getting ready to install the tank very soon. I will know more then. If you have anymore quaestions e-mail me @ edgarmotor@dtnspeed.net Later, Jeromie

Quick Reply: Can I Reuse the Fuel Pump from a 2000 Trans Am?