Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked Edelbrock carb intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Default cracked Edelbrock carb intake

well, i thought i was ok on the intake deal, i know others had them crack, but when i pulled it to do some other work, i found the bottom piece missing from #3, and #1 has cracked-i was lucky i found the piece, or would have worried when i pulled the intake it fell in the cyl.-tried to call Edelb. and see what they say, but all i got was calls are heavy, call back later-i may just weld it up, all it really needs to do is hold the o-ring style gasket anyway
maybe it couldnt take the boost, lol
the crack seems to start where the cutout is for the gasket tab
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

which intake?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently there were a bunch of these that got machined wrong. Yours is the third one I have seen that's cracked, in the last 6 months.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

i think mine was #29087, box was dated 02/08, so it would have been built a min of 1 year ago-i sent a guy there a bunch of pics, he said he would have to take it to someone, so i'll see what they do-prob would be torn between sending it back and welding it up, wanted to make a pass this weekend and see how the 4l80e works out, but if i send it back, good excuse to pull the motor and swap in the stroker, lol
if they didnt machine in the spot where the "tab" of the o ring is i think it wouldnt break-seems to start there, i would rather cut off the tab off the gaskets
Old 03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

either way no excuse for something torqued as lightly as 12 ft lbs to crack

mine didn't crack that I could tell while bolting it on, I haven't ran mine long enough to check for anything funky though. Just a 10 second start up to ensure the motor made oil pressure.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Veteran

well, Edelbrock never contacted me, so i took the intake to a buddy who is a certified welder, better than me doing it-he welded it right up, left a little extra around the broken area-i knew it would hit the valley cover, but theirs a ton of meat on the cover before it hits the gasket, so a tiny bit of grinding cured that-all back together now, but my valve covers hit the new comp cams 1.75 roller rockers, lol
i bought some spacers off ebay from UMI thurs, had them by noon fri, back on the road-these 1/2" spacers were great, came with all the hardware
i wont use the felpro orange intake gaskets anymore, they deterioated, back to the GM twice as exp. even with a discount ones, lol

Quick Reply: cracked Edelbrock carb intake