Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hanks S13 LS2/T56 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

havent done a whole lote lately...just finished putting the rear susp together and hubs n wheels back on. And decided to clean up the gas tank. At first I tried EVERY kind of degreaser you could think of....even tried aircraft stripper. Couldnt get the gas tank clean...then i had a thought....use gas. And WHAM...gas will take anything off...and it was SHINYYYYY. Then hit it with some primer and chassis black paint...

Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

subscribing
Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Nice build man. I can't wait until I get my headers in so I can start my build thread
Old 10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am just in the middle of the LONG drawn out process of block sanding.....so I dont really have any updates. I did take out the windshield and the quarter glass so I can properly prep for paint. Other than that....its on schedule I guess haha.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Very nice work. You're pretty much rebuilding the whole car haha
Old 10-28-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I the car was in great shape when I got it...but one thing led to another, and the OCD kicked in and it ended up being torn completely apart and rebuilt from scratch haha. I ended up doing the same thing with my S10. I am just too picky about it, so it gotta be perfect, which means its just easier on me to rebuild it all
Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

*NOTE still trying to FOR SURE decide on paint colors, DEF want black top, but main color is up in the air, still want HOK Tangerine....but EH open to insight. So any ideas let me know*

OK yeah its been forever since I got anything posted back up on here. The holidays have killed me, and barely got to work on the car for the last 2 months. I did finally get the body panels all on and gapped how I like them. Hood layed on to get an idea of how I wanna run cusom headlights. Also I got the motor and trans now, stripped it down to do some test fitting and decided to just make my own mounts. those will come in a week or 2....maybe haha. Here are some pics though...

Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice! I say do that Green color you want. Looks sick!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

got the front bumper back on and aligned somewhat, still needs a little tweaking but ok overall. Also laid the hood on to see how I would have to mod it to make the Silvia hood fit the US bumper. Wont be too hard at all. Then can start on custom headlight forms for the vacuum molding process. Coming together finally.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhankinson
Then can start on custom headlight forms for the vacuum molding process.
I'm curious about this part...
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

FINALLY Got some more work done....starting to mock up for motor and trans mounts. Also checked the clearance of the LS2 6.0 vette exhaust manifolds and WOW they fit like a dream.

Then hooked the trans up and test fit it all again

Then got it mocked up to start building the mounts

Now this weekend hope to build the mounts...get the trans mount done and start on other things
Old 02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well looks like the car will be taking a back seat for a while. I just found out yesterday my wife has a tumor in her uterus. So every dime i have will be focused on her health and getting her better for a while. I still have a crap ton of parts waiting to be put on the car so it wont be to bad. will still work on that stuff as I catch time.

But until we find out all is well with my wife, She will be my number one for a while.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues. Hopefully, she will have a speedy and full recovery.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well found some time to get some stuff done over the weekend while the wife was resting. Got the brakes on, havent had time to swap over to the Ichiba 5 lug hubs yet, but they are coming. And got the mockup motor mounts made up and heavy tacked together so they will hold for mock up. Also got the Trans X-member in and holding. And then test fit the hood. All clears with about 1/4 to 1/4" extra. And then some shots of the motor in.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got some pics of the motor mounts and trans mounts. Got all the filler plates cut out to boc back in the crossmember. then it will be one more test fit, then off to powder coat and engine will be in for good.

Got some more done tonight. Got my throttle cable modified. Its a hybrid between the stock 240 cable and the GTO stock cable. Car end of the 240 one and cable and TB end of the GTO one. Also got my FPR mounted in a slick spot on the firewall. And preliminary stock fuel lines bent....should work out slick as hell

Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well all the mounts worked out freaking awesome. I made up some jigs to remake them if I needed to. And have an unlimited supply of Delran and a lathe and vertical mill. SO I am thinking of making about 10 sets of motor&trans mounts and powder coating them and selling them for a decent price.

Also I got some LS2 manifold flanges made with a 2.5" exit, so I might see what kind of market those will have. So people who dont want to spend $500-$1000 on long tubes can run a stock motor and LS2 manifolds and dual 2.5" exhaust.

PM me if anyone is interested.

Josh
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Teching In

THis looks like its gonna be an awesome build. Ill be following this closely.

Your motor is an 04 goat LS1 though, right?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Teching In

I'd be in for a set of mounts if you decide to make more.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

OH I am already making more...figured heck if I have the Jigs...might as well just make a set. Eventually they will sell. I should have them done in a week or 2. If everything goes right. I will let everyone know when they are done with powdercoating and ready.

The motor was out of a 04 GTO but the actual long block is a 6.0 LS2. I know its a miss match of crap. But I got it for a HECK of a good deal. I dont think the guy I bought it from realized it wasnt just a LS1 block. I will change to a FAST intake anyways...so it really didnt matter to me.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

As promised some pics of steering rack clearance. It is tight...but in reality it is between 1/8 and 1/4 all around on average.

And then I got some Made-for-you T-Clamps for the Brake lines. Because I HATED the look of the stock brackets. Looks good to me.

Here is the way I mounted my Taurus fan. This fan kicks *** IMO and fits like a glove with just a light amount of trimming.

And then put it in the car. EEK tight fit but I can lean the radiator about 3/8" further forward so it will be about 1/2" total clearance when done. Plenty enough room there.

And then finally some pics of the LS2 manifold flanges I am making now. 3/8" Steel with 2.5" exhaust. Should be very nice.

Quick Reply: Hanks S13 LS2/T56 build