Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting my LS1 Panoz (cobra 4.6L Mod) Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009 | 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eric1h
Thanks...

Carbs will almost always make more power, EFI is great for Fuel economy and emissions, but a well setup carb can and will usually make more power. On top of that it adds a level of simplicity, less stuff to fail, easier to tune at the track if needed. In racing in order to finish first, first you have to finish!

So the less stuff that can fail, the better off you are!

The 4.6 was painted blue by Panoz Auto Development, they take a stock aluminum 4.6L add forged internals and a few goodies and use them in thier cars.
I disagree with you on almost all of that.

Also like Andrew said the MSD boxes have a horrible habit or failing even in street driven applications. I cant imagine they would perform any better with the demands road racing can put on components.

At the very least remote mount the box, the intake manifold mount is asking for trouble.

What are the specs on the 3550. Isnt the torque rating only something around 450ft/lbs for those?

Last edited by NoClassic; 06-06-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2009 | 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

honestly, with a roundy round car, its already efi, i'd say keep it that way. that car pulls ALOT of g's around those corners, and carb floats might have a hard time keeping up with that. but to each his own! cool build and cool car.
Old 06-07-2009 | 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoClassic
I disagree with you on almost all of that.

Also like Andrew said the MSD boxes have a horrible habit or failing even in street driven applications. I cant imagine they would perform any better with the demands road racing can put on components.

At the very least remote mount the box, the intake manifold mount is asking for trouble.

What are the specs on the 3550. Isnt the torque rating only something around 450ft/lbs for those?
My box never failed in the year i drove it on the street. I had no issues at all.

I agree carbs can make more power than the EFI WOT but any part throttle numbers and the EFI is going to take it as far as fuel ecconomy. Even with the setup in my sig just carbed, with a 750 i manged to get about 20mpg from my carb setup. Im just finishing up my EFI swap now to let you know what performance differences i come up with but a carb setup is nothing to sneeze at man. They are pretty bad ***.

I think with my intake and 4150 TB i will be very close in the power of EFI, but alot more efficient. Plus it's a semi unique setup

Quick Reply: Starting my LS1 Panoz (cobra 4.6L Mod) Swap