Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/T56 In A Subaru SVX...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009 | 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Default LS1/T56 In A Subaru SVX...

Yup, you read that right. Me and my buddy have joked around with this idea for the past year or so and now it's time to get serious. We found a good donor shell in PA on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks and my friend out there is going to check it out for me to make sure it's not rusted to **** underneath. If it's all good I hope to have it back here by next weekend and start getting rid of all the Subaru drivetrain parts as fast as possible.

This will be a mega budget build, we're looking for as cheap of an LS1/T56 as possible. My best case scenario is to find a wrecked F-Body this way we can clear out the engine, tranny, ecu, harness, clutch + accessories and whatever else we may need. My neighbor is an excellent metal fabricator so that should cover the motor/tranny mounts, cross member and whatever other brackets we might need along the way. The only real boundary I can see is the stock rear end, I know they aren't the strongest in the world but should be fine as long as it's treated like a 10 bolt on it's last legs. We were thinking maybe GTO or Corvette IRS setup but that sounds like bucko bucks as we don't have the most money in the world to throw around.

Hell, maybe we can figure out a way to create the worlds first solid rear axle SVX, who knows?

I'm also having doubts of the engine clearing the stock hood as the car is shaped like a ******* wedge of cheese up front and has trouble clearing the flat H6 already in it.

Eh well, I'll post up if this car checks out and we get it back to CT to start the dismantling process. Wish us the best of luck, we'll need it!
Old 06-12-2009 | 12:59 AM

Thats crazy man. Im in the middle of a similar project Getting rid of that power sucking awd auto would really allow the 3.3l to get its grunt to the ground. Ill be adapting the transmission to the boxer 6. Stock 230hp, and with only 7 psi they push near 400hp. And a 7000rpm redline to boot If you want to run the lighter and stronger 3.3l, then you may want to do like me, and pick up a fried subaru 4cyl from the wrecking yard, and strip it down to the basic block and crank. Then you can build your adapter plate for the trans and get it all hooked up outside of the car. And a gutted boxer 4 weighs a lot less than a running boxer 6, so you can tote your project around.

As for the rear axle, look into a jaguar rear Independent setup. A dana 44 center section, and modular design would make an easy swap. Thats the route im heading to.
When we're done, we will have to worlds only RWD SVX's
Im also going to build a Squires rear mounted turbo for our car. It seems that with the t56's .50 overdrive, and the svx's crazy low drag coefficient hitting over 200mph should only require 425hp. Should not be a problem with our cars

Last edited by dcheat; 06-12-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1/T56 In A Subaru SVX...