Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 camaro wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 68 camaro wiring questions

im about to put a LS1 engine into my 68 camaro but nobody around here wants to take on the job of wiring it up. i have somebody that will put it in but he knows about as much about wiring as i do, which isnt much. anyway if anyone knows a way of simplifying everything or knows of somebody around the center florida area that could do this for me that would be great. even somekind of diagram would be good. thanks
Old 11-03-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jdmille5
im about to put a LS1 engine into my 68 camaro but nobody around here wants to take on the job of wiring it up. i have somebody that will put it in but he knows about as much about wiring as i do, which isnt much. anyway if anyone knows a way of simplifying everything or knows of somebody around the center florida area that could do this for me that would be great. even somekind of diagram would be good. thanks
Do you have a set of helms manuals for your year? it is almost a must. It is not all that complicated with them. You need to get ignition positive voltage to the coil packs and injectors usually pink wires). Hook the wire that controls the fuel relay from the PCM. ( usually green with white stripe) Get battery power to the PCM (orange wire). And hook up all the grounds. What did you do for (VATs)???
Old 11-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Are you using a stock or aftermarket wiring harness?
-Gordon
Old 11-03-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Street & Performance makes a 'painless wiring harness' for GM conversions. Give them a call and ask for Mark. He's very helpful. Ask them for a catalog too. You'll love it.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/
Old 11-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1swap
Do you have a set of helms manuals for your year? it is almost a must. It is not all that complicated with them. You need to get ignition positive voltage to the coil packs and injectors usually pink wires). Hook the wire that controls the fuel relay from the PCM. ( usually green with white stripe) Get battery power to the PCM (orange wire). And hook up all the grounds. What did you do for (VATs)???

its a 98 Ls1. it was carefully took out a camaro. it has everything that makes it work with it. its just a maker of making it work. im not sure what VATs are?
Old 11-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
Street & Performance makes a 'painless wiring harness' for GM conversions. Give them a call and ask for Mark. He's very helpful. Ask them for a catalog too. You'll love it.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

thats for the help. i clicked on the page listed above and went to the 69 camaro they put the ls1 in and the wiring harness only had basicly four wire hook ups. Harness also includes relays, Vats by pass, and diagnostic link. so all those wires that were scarying me with the stock wiring harness arent needed. everything will work correctly with the aftermarket kit?
Old 11-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Yes, and there are MANY aftermarket harnesses available. Mine is from TPIS who is supplied by by howell engines, I dont reccommend it. Speartech is where I would go (links on this page) John is just about the most helpful guy anywhere. Also Street and Performance and painless if you want more options.

VATS stands for vehicle anti theft system, its must be bypassed or removed in order to start the car.

-Gordon
Old 11-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS-1st-Gen
Are you using a stock or aftermarket wiring harness?
-Gordon

i think im going to buy a speartech harness.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

John (Speartech) can also take care of the pcm tuning unless you were planning on getting LS1edit (removing rear O2's, fuel pressure, VATS, etc.)
Old 11-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 68LSS1
John (Speartech) can also take care of the pcm tuning unless you were planning on getting LS1edit (removing rear O2's, fuel pressure, VATS, etc.)

how does the pcm tuning work?

Quick Reply: 68 camaro wiring questions