Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD-6010, no fire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So can you hook the boxes up to a "keyed" spot under the dash in a empty fuse spot?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as it is hot in run and start positions of the ign switch.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

also to add i had a very similar issue lately with a new "tight" engine and it cranking over too slowly for the msd box to fire. eventually i managed to jump the starter with 24v direct (not to any car wiring) and for a few seconds it span over quick enough to start first time. previously the msd box was showing no signal/no spark when cranking.
msd were very helpful and sent me a new 6010 box with updated firmware free of charge in return for my old box back. the new one has a lower (or removed) cranking limit and worked direct first time using the normal 12v starter and slower cranking speed. that was great service in my opinion from msd, and they shipped the box out in about 4 days to the uk. :-)
Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is pretty impressive. Im glad msd is standing behind their product. Alot of companies would make you buy a new one. It's good to hear that kind of feedback.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by topher455
As long as it is hot in run and start positions of the ign switch.
It is now! Started right up this morning. I let it get up to temp and the dual-pass radiator and spare GN fan kept it right at 195°. Had 50 PSI oil pressure at idle. It takes several healthy pumps of pedal to get it to light off and the idle had to be set at 1100 to keep it running. I'll add a bunch more timing later and it should idle lower. Now I get to replace the rear main seal that I should have done while it was on the stand.

Originally Posted by chris-m
also to add i had a very similar issue lately with a new "tight" engine and it cranking over too slowly for the msd box to fire. eventually i managed to jump the starter with 24v direct (not to any car wiring) and for a few seconds it span over quick enough to start first time. previously the msd box was showing no signal/no spark when cranking.
msd were very helpful and sent me a new 6010 box with updated firmware free of charge in return for my old box back. the new one has a lower (or removed) cranking limit and worked direct first time using the normal 12v starter and slower cranking speed. that was great service in my opinion from msd, and they shipped the box out in about 4 days to the uk. :-)
The MSD tech wants me to return my box for the upgrade (even though it seems to be OK), was that "free" or is there some expense invloved?

Russ
Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im interested in that. Does MSD want to update all their old boxes for some reason?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by topher455
Im interested in that. Does MSD want to update all their old boxes for some reason?
Here's their response on the MSD forum. Looks like it concerns high compression (slow cranking) light-off. My startup curve had 12° through 1000 RPM so it cranked pretty easliy. When I get my rear main seal changed, I'm gonna bump that up and see if it'll stablize the idle. Right now, it wants to die below 1000.

Russ
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

i didnt get charged anything (i had to pay postage thats all from uk to USA to send mine back) which i was happy to do in return for a brand new box. worked first time with a slowish cranking speed and my usual ignition timing. :-)
the good thing was they shipped out the new box first to get me running while i sent theirs back, didnt have to wait
Old 05-27-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll see how mine acts once I get it back together. Im going from 10:1 to 11:1 and I like timing. So we'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: MSD-6010, no fire!