Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 camaro ls1 swap, what headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
ya i'm pretty sure i'll need the 1 7/8" header tubes but thanks for the tip I've never seen a motor not pick up HP when they're around where i'm at by going to bigger primaries.
i agree with larger diameter tubes, but for basic swaps imo 1 5/8 and 1 3/4
will be support more than enuff for the basic swap guy.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I modifed hedman headers for my car. Didnt want to shell out the bones for stainless works peices.

If i do another project, ill put a Procharger on it, and fabricate some 1 7/8" headers
Old 08-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Default headers that fit

all fourth gen headers will and do fit our 3rd gen cars, you just cant be a b*tch. the reason they dont "fit" is due to the engine mounting points, "the stock engine mounting points". I moved mine just a smidge car rides fine, has 500whp 6.0L torquer v.2 tsp 1 7/8" headers and carb set up.

no squeaks, no noises, just rumble
Old 08-02-2009, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bradenb19
all fourth gen headers will and do fit our 3rd gen cars, you just cant be a b*tch. the reason they dont "fit" is due to the engine mounting points, "the stock engine mounting points". I moved mine just a smidge car rides fine, has 500whp 6.0L torquer v.2 tsp 1 7/8" headers and carb set up.

Post pictures then because you will be the first ever to have done it. I don't think its possible given the way the drivers side angles away from the center of the car on the 4th gen headers.

Also, what brand 4th gen headers did you use? You have supposedly accomplished something that several hundred people have tried for the better part of 10 years to do, with zero success.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Amen.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are wrong. The reason why they don't fit is because of where the collector is. It turns directly into the frame rail. If your idea of a "smidge" is cutting the collectors and header flanges off and putting all new primaries on, then maybe you did make it work.

I tried several brands of 4th gen headers, and none even came close. It was easier, and took less time, for me to make my own long tubes, then it would have to modify a set of 4th gen ones.

Now the 5th gen long tubes...those might work.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I'm using a set of pacesetter shorties,(i live in california so long tubes are out). When i was doing research most shorties are advertised to be direct replacement for the factory cast iron exhaust manifolds and those fit fine on my 92. So i picked up a set of used pace setter shorties here on the board for pretty cheap and they fit pretty good. I am using a Spohn k-member and the number one tube rubs the k-member at the motor mount but not that big of deal. I think this is only a problem on the pacesetter header because the #1 tube on the pass side comes way down before it make the turn hence coming right in line with the motor mount. All the other i looked at have tighter bends and dont come near the motor mounts, but it was all about price and getting the car running when i purchased the pacesetters. Another option i considered is getting a set of 3rd gen specific big block headers and changing out the flange that way the collector is sitting in the right place. I think if you do a search some have already done this but dont quote me.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a set of hookers... similar design. could fab a set of scratch easier than to mod a 4th gen header.
this is my opinion.
as stated above. lets see some proof.(pics)
there is a reason hundreds have tried and failed or not bothered.

Quick Reply: 1991 camaro ls1 swap, what headers