Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Mustang LQ4 Swap Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway...so here I am now. With a running LS-Powered Mustang. Wanted one for years. Always been a fan of southeast 1/8th mile small block nitrous cars...but in cali its tough to find that. So whats a boy to do?! Well, I'm gong to enjoy the car as it is for right now for a bit. But after watching so many blown and high compression street corvettes cleaning house on the highways out here...I had enough. Time to plan for the next phase.

I have a problem.

Blow-through, E85, non-intercoolered, waste-gate on the intake tube, and cog driven. Thats the plan.

Will have to get a new convertor, add another fuel pump, get a new carb, fab up some brackets, get the ....**** I got alot of work.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Long time no updates...the car is running...again. I'm putting some shake down miles on it right now. I will hopefully be getting some video of it since I really have none. Anyway, in anticipation of the increased fuel demand with E85 and 2-kits, I added a second pump. Car runs off the magnafuel pump and then when the nitrous is activated, the black pump will kick on. It "Y's" in the existing fuel system...all -10 line.

Not really a fan of UPR's stuff but at the previous shop, I was given this after cutting it out of a customer's car...free is better than nothing. UPR Anti-Roll bar. Put that in after the rear was filled with 3.55's and C-Clip elims.

Fresh drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, lowering springs (eibach) replace the drag launch springs and a fresh set of 275 Mickeys.

Exhaust I made. V bands at the front into 3" mandrel bends, flowmaster hushpowers, and dumped. Sounds fresh as ****. Also the 3" chomoly driveshaft with chromoly yoke and upgrade ujoints (uses an 03/04 cobra flange)

Patrick at ProSystems came through again. Carb and regulator...set up for E85.

Finished package....just need to do some wiring for the nitrous and test out the spray. Right now, its jettted for about 180 on the fogger and 200 on the plate. Provided I don't run out of gearing, it should fair pretty well on the airstrip event coming up.

The car as it sits now. Yeah, the stickers maybe a tad excessive for some but...they cover up the peeling flaking shitty paint underneath (Use flex additive and/or adhesion promotor).

AND finally, our new spot. Me and a few friends rented out our own shop for personal use. 1250 sqft, commercial zoned (empty on the weekends for dirtbike fun in the dirt lot behind building!), lift, office with a flatscreen and xbox....MANCAVE. hard to get stuff done with all the distractions but we manage. We dubbed it the Honeycomb Hideout.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** yea Ry getting it done!! I hope that 3.55 gear will be enough for you. I doubt it though especially for a 1/2mi race. Good luck man!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89L98T56
**** yea Ry getting it done!! I hope that 3.55 gear will be enough for you. I doubt it though especially for a 1/2mi race. Good luck man!!!
i think so too...**** it.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Welp...that was fun. Something broke this weekend at the airstrip event. On motor I was trapping high 150's in a half mile. Sprayed it on the 4th pass with the fogger (just under 200) and something let go. Lost oil pressure past the stripe and its knocking. Put it on the trailer and ignored it after I pulled the plugs. All plugs look the same. Kinda hard to get a GOOD reading on E85 after only A pass. I'll post updates this week when it gets pulled apart.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM
8 Second Club

I know that feeling. Sorry to hear about it.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

I'm dumb. Oil pump bolts backed out on the driver's side (the main feed to the block) and the pump deflected away from the block and starved the motor. I ******* suck...Wiped out all the bearings, two rods for sure, and the crank. Got a new crank already, block is getting re-worked (line honed, decked, cleaned, etc), and trying to source some rods. Probably just get a couple rather than a full set if I can. I may deck the heads and bump the compression while I'm at it and its apart.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM

Awesome build! Sry to hear you hurt it.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Learn to gas weld and you'll be a good tig welder, that's the rule. Too many people put too much heat into their weld and screw it up. You can get a cheap tig from Harbor Frieght that's capable of nicer welds than the most expensive wire feed, just saying..Sorry about your motor (Lock-tite?)
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 64post
Learn to gas weld and you'll be a good tig welder, that's the rule. Too many people put too much heat into their weld and screw it up. You can get a cheap tig from Harbor Frieght that's capable of nicer welds than the most expensive wire feed, just saying..Sorry about your motor (Lock-tite?)
I'll be purchasing a TIG after my upcoming deployment. As for the loc-tite...i swore i did. Only the driver's side bolts backed out. I'm going to drill the heads and safety wire the bolts this time for extra insurance as well as the pick up tube.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

HOLY **** has it been a year? Well 7 months deployed to the desert and a little R&R....and now we are back at it.

This is where we left off children.

Basically, I built a 6.0/TH350 nitrous combo with a carb and E85. The oil pump bolts backed out b/c I'm stupid and it ate two rod bearings and rods. Rebuilt it while I was in Afghanistan and was going to just come home and reassemble...but that wasn't good enough. Started the mock up of the new combo...

This might cause a hood issue....

So setup is going to be a .060 over iron block, wiseco pistons, eagle rods,CNC'd 317's with 2.08/1.60 vavles, ported Super Victor, Wilson Elbow, 92mm FAST, Borg Warner S480 w/ 96mm 1.32 T6 Turbine side all ran off a MicroSquirt. Pump gas with AIS Water/Meth Injection. 4L80 with 300m inputshaft, valve body mods, ran by an Optishift. Endstate? Compete in Dragweek in 2015. Right now, this is a mock up motor. Changing pistons out next week and getting rotating assembly respun. Continuing the mock-up/fab as well.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

The side view looks like a periscope lol. Cars looking good man. Things going to be a ******* monster!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Half way done with the hotside. REALLY pained me to hack out the inner fender but a turbo there looks better than the shaved inner fender any day. Waiting for tubing for the wastegates (twin tial 44mms), then I'm gonna spray bomb it all and wrap it all with titanium colored exhaust wrap. I had my buddy weld on the V-Bands for me since the truck manifolds are cast steel and I wanted to ensure it lasted...and looked good. Everything else is mild and MIG'd by me. I'm no pro but I think it came out decent. I have tons of clearance everywhere I could ever need it. Still need to fab a frame mount to support the turbo then begin the downpipe. Still a LOT of work to do but at least we have progress.

Going to spray these black and polish the stock heat shields and stainless hardware.

Don't know why its upside but...here is the tensioner setup and alternator bracket now. Was a BMR. Learned something new...The alternator was a leftover from a C6 vette and worked great with the BMR bracket...a factory style F-Body bracket...not so much. So I'll be searching for a deal on one of those.

Passenger side. Yes...I had to cheat a bit on the bends and put a little "extra" weld in there but nothing much. Again, I'm not a pro.

Yes...thats duct tape on the V-Bands. Don't buy chinese clamps...

Boom. Airfilter fits too.

Till nextime.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Alright. Got the turbo mount done. I notched and plated the frame rail forward of the strut tower. Welded a 5/16" plate on top of that to both the turbo flange too.

Wastegates are tacked in position now as well. Got to plumb the dump tubs still as well.

AAAAAnd now...to avoid the dust and **** flying everywhere at the shop, I brought the engine building to the house. I built the shortblock at my good friend's shop, EVOD Garage in their engine clean room under the supervision of their engine builder/lead mech. I asked a lot of questions but ultimately, my hands were the only ones to touch it so that feels pretty good. Anyway, brought the short block home and starting putting parts on in my spare time under the watchful eye of Leroy.

This time the motor has Wieseco flatops. Compression comes in around 9.5:1 with 72cc 317 heads and a .051 Cometic.

Rebuilt both heads as they were used just to check them out and add new seals. Cleaned and lapped the valves.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

For those who remember what happened to the last combo...I am making damn sure it doesn't happen again. For those who don't know, my stupidity and/or lack of attention led to the oil pump bolts backing out and the pump deflected away from the block, starved the bearings and wiped out all the crank and rod bearings. Sooo...being an aviation mechanic and taking a suggestion from a fellow junkie on here, I did this.

And now...the completed motor.

I was debating forever on what to color to paint it. Then I saw an ammo can sitting in corner and the light buld came on. Should be a pretty sweet contrast to the orange of the car.

Quick Reply: 94 Mustang LQ4 Swap Build Thread