Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen IV Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gen IV Wiring Questions

I'm in the middle of a 5.3 swap into an '86 Chevy Silverado. The donor is a '07 Chevy Silverado. I've got the complete LY5 engine, 4L60E transmission, factory engine/trans harness, underhood fuse block, DBW pedal assembly, E38 ECU and transmission controller.

I want to modify my own harness to make it stand alone. I've tried to do my homework and have answered most of my initial questions. I bought the Alldata schematics for the donor truck and scoured the forums for information, but I'm still looking for a few answers.

1) I don't have the BCM, but could get it. Is it necessary for the engine and transmission to run? (If the answer to this question is "yes", some of the following questions may be irellevant)

2) Can the ECU be programmed to ignore the alternator controls? In the Gen IV setup, the current draw is monitored by the BCM which commands the ECU (via the CANBUS) to switch on the alternator's regulator.

3) Is the fuel level signal to the ECU necessary? Can the ECU be programmed to ignore it?

4) Is a terminating resistor required on the high speed bus at the DLC? I ask this because I will only be using the ECU and TCM. The ECU has a built-in termintator, but the other end of the bus (at the DLC) won't have one unless I add it.

5) Is the accessory wake-up signal to the ECU and TCM necessary? From the schematic, it appears to be a 12V signal that is passed through BCM when the switch is in the "run" or "acc" position (instead of serial data).

Thanks in advance for any direction on the questions above.

Last edited by dayj1; 06-04-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dayj1
1) I don't have the BCM, but could get it. Is it necessary for the engine and transmission to run?
No, I'm pretty confident (99%) that it's not. IIRC, lots of people run without the BCM.

3) Is the fuel level signal to the ECU necessary? Can the ECU be programmed to ignore it?
Again, I'm 99% confident that it's not required (and I'd better be right on that, since that's how I have MY swap planned out!).

BTW - I'm not being critical, but you have two #3 selections in your original post...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Again, I'm 99% confident that it's not required (and I'd better be right on that, since that's how I have MY swap planned out!).
I couldn't think of a reason why the fuel sender would be needed, but I found this post a coule of days ago that made me second guess myself; https://ls1tech.com/forums/11607662-post15.html If it is needed, I don't see why wou couldn't just put an appropriate sized resistor (in my case 40 ohm) between ground and the fuel level input to the ECU. That way the computer would always see a full tank of gas and I could just run my sending unit wires to the stock gauge.

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
BTW - I'm not being critical, but you have two #3 selections in your original post...
I fixed that. Thanks for your input!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) I don't have the BCM, but could get it. Is it necessary for the engine and transmission to run? (If the answer to this question is "yes", some of the following questions may be irellevant)

I dont run one with my E38

2) Can the ECU be programmed to ignore the alternator controls? In the Gen IV setup, the current draw is monitored by the BCM which commands the ECU (via the CANBUS) to switch on the alternator's regulator.

I run a 2 wire truck alternator. I cannot get my gen light to work, but the alternator charges stand alone without the current sensor.

No codes found on mine without fuel level

4) Is a terminating resistor required on the high speed bus at the DLC? I ask this because I will only be using the ECU and TCM. The ECU has a built-in termintator, but the other end of the bus (at the DLC) won't have one unless I add it.

Dont know

5) Is the accessory wake-up signal to the ECU and TCM necessary? From the schematic, it appears to be a 12V signal that is passed through BCM when the switch is in the "run" or "acc" position (instead of serial data).

Should just be key on +12v
See above
Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks alocker.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 AM

Hey, I'm trying to do the same swap right now and was wondering where you got the wiring diagrams and pinouts to be able to modify the harness? And what steps you need to make the stand alone harness. I have the e38 ECU and factory harness but i guess i still need to get the gas pedal and fuse block. Do you need the fuse block? Is there a TAC module aswell on the 08 5.3 LY5? If anyone has info on the wire diagrams and pinouts though it would be great if you were willing to share them with me as i've searched high and low on the board here and connot find them for the LY5

thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatt
Hey, I'm trying to do the same swap right now and was wondering where you got the wiring diagrams and pinouts to be able to modify the harness? And what steps you need to make the stand alone harness. I have the e38 ECU and factory harness but i guess i still need to get the gas pedal and fuse block. Do you need the fuse block? Is there a TAC module aswell on the 08 5.3 LY5? If anyone has info on the wire diagrams and pinouts though it would be great if you were willing to share them with me as i've searched high and low on the board here and connot find them for the LY5

thanks
Here is a link to the factory manuals for $5 for a 24 hour period. http://www.repairprocedures.com/login/

Quick Reply: Gen IV Wiring Questions