Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use for a shifter (automatic)???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003 | 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Default What to use for a shifter (automatic)???

I have noticed all of the aftermarket shifter manufacturers (B&M etc.) do not list any application for 4L60e or 4L80e. Is there some sort of electronic sensor on the shifter that is required by the computer to function properly??

Is there some way you can modify the programming with LS1-edit etc. to make the use of an aftermarket shifter??

Have you guys that have done automatic swaps brought over the donor cars shifter as well??
Old 11-09-2003 | 04:02 AM
TECH Resident

Why not just use the stock LS1 shifter with the factory cable? way better than a halfass ratchet shifter IMO..Od also use the E brake handle and console...

good luck,

Jeremy
Old 11-10-2003 | 09:03 AM
Teching In

Thats what I'm going to try bought a complete console out out a TA with shifter and e brake for $45. At first I was going to use IDIT cable conversion for column ($125 from IDIT) but seems like an easier deal to put stock shifter on floor. Besides el camino didn't come with cup holder and I feel culturally deprived without one.
Old 11-10-2003 | 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

On my elcamino I got a console and shifter out of a ss monte carlo. 3 micro switches and a little fab work to mount the switches. Looks stock in the car and works perfect.
Rodney
Old 11-10-2003 | 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Rod,

The monte SS stuff probably looks badass in your car. I love the OE looking stuff versus the b/m ratchet mega ugly shifter looking stuff, did you also snag the monte SS guages with the tach etc? thatd be badass!, I cant believe ididit wants so much for a lousy column hook up deal, the ls1 shifter e cables e handle and shifter with console would probably cost that and look better...

take care..
Old 11-10-2003 | 08:43 PM
Teching In

Rod,

What are the micro switches for. By the way sent you email to your address
Old 11-11-2003 | 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

You can use any shifter that will fit a 700R4 trans. They have the same shift pattern.
Old 11-11-2003 | 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by elcamino
Rod,

What are the micro switches for. By the way sent you email to your address
I did away with the rod that goes from the transmission where the shifter cable hooks on it and goes back to the steering column. With the extra width of the LS1 and header routing I couldn't get it to completely clear everything, so I lost the stock neutral safety and back-up light switches. The other micro switch tells the computer when the car is in park/neutral or reverse/drive so it will adjust the idle rpm accordingly. I found a small sun tach at a Advance Auto that has the same black face and orange needle and mounted it in the dash where the clock is suppose to be, looks original. I looked at the ss dash and was planning on a winter time swap but have decided to do a some touch-up jobs on my 67 nova for competeing in future shows. Anyone wanting to do the dash swap go to MalibuRacing.com for the wiring, complete details.

Rodney
Old 11-11-2003 | 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

We all have opinions, I like B&M ratchet stuff, here is my Pro Ratchet in my stock console (looks nicer now this was when it was first mounted:

https://ls1tech.com/psjpics/griffinpics/griff6.jpg

Quick Reply: What to use for a shifter (automatic)???