Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fbody + diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxben
4L80 would have to be massively built to withstand even a MILDLY tuned duramax, and even then the overdrive in it is still weak.

ben
The fullsize vans have the d-max and 4l80 stock! The d-max's were detuned alittle!

A built 4l80 will hold that. Some have put 1000hp and tq though them with a turboed LSx. Plus they are smaller than the allsion anyway.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was wondering about the weight issue myself...but can you honestly argue with 1K ft lbs of torque on command? my question would be wtf rear end you gonna put in it..
Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i was wondering about the weight issue myself...but can you honestly argue with 1K ft lbs of torque on command? my question would be wtf rear end you gonna put in it..
14 bolt or a 9 inch. It only matters if it hooks though!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's kind of the wow factor. it's mostly just having an insanely fast car that's still drivable. sure, you can put a twin turbo aluminum short block to 1000 hp, but it won't have much more torque. diesel engines are more efficient. they'll make more power with the same fuel. i'll have great mileage and street manors on the road, and insane track times. what more could you ask for?

as far as trying to get the car to hook i'll run 3.08 gears (to compensate for the stock 3200 rpm red line), i'll have to run huge slicks/drag radials, and the Henessey viper adds more power as speed increases to help with traction, i could probably get a progressive tune like that.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeforton
it's kind of the wow factor. it's mostly just having an insanely fast car that's still drivable. sure, you can put a twin turbo aluminum short block to 1000 hp, but it won't have much more torque. diesel engines are more efficient. they'll make more power with the same fuel. i'll have great mileage and street manors on the road, and insane track times. what more could you ask for?

as far as trying to get the car to hook i'll run 3.08 gears (to compensate for the stock 3200 rpm red line), i'll have to run huge slicks/drag radials, and the Henessey viper adds more power as speed increases to help with traction, i could probably get a progressive tune like that.
sounds like a neat project
im currently 508rwtq n/a, and its hard to find traction in 1st or 2nd, even with dr .
im sure that tq will take its toll on the chassis if u dont upgrade all susp.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

ya, i'm sure i'm going to have to do some awesome suspension mods to it. the cool thing about diesels though, is because of the injection system you can keep several tunes on hand. if i want to just cruise town, i can load up a really mild tune and not have many traction issues, or if i want to haul *** i can load up a powerfull tune and pickup a huge amount of power. even a heavily built diesel can be detuned to not make much power, and then in two minuets bet tuned for full power.

bo158, do you mean the 14 bolt 3/4 ton truck axle?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeforton
ya, i'm sure i'm going to have to do some awesome suspension mods to it. the cool thing about diesels though, is because of the injection system you can keep several tunes on hand. if i want to just cruise town, i can load up a really mild tune and not have many traction issues, or if i want to haul *** i can load up a powerfull tune and pickup a huge amount of power. even a heavily built diesel can be detuned to not make much power, and then in two minuets bet tuned for full power.

bo158, do you mean the 14 bolt 3/4 ton truck axle?
Yep! The 14 bolt FF thats out of the trucks. Might stick out the wheel wells alittle though! Air bag it to handle the weight.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

In diesel power mag there was a duramax powered mid to late 90's model mustang so i would most definately say it would work. Full cage and lots of fab to keep the chassi shraight.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bo185
The fullsize vans have the d-max and 4l80 stock! The d-max's were detuned alittle! .
I realize that. They are detuned a LOT...more than 100hp and 200ft lbs less torque than the pickup versions.

Originally Posted by Bo185
A built 4l80 will hold that. Some have put 1000hp and tq though them with a turboed LSx.
I think you are severely underestimating the way a diesel engine delivers power and how it is so much more brutal on drivetrain parts than a gasser. A 4L80 that Joe Tranny Builder runs problem-free behind his 1200hp big block wouldnt last 2 passes behind a 500hp duramax (which can easilly be obtained on a 100% stock motor, all you have to do is dump a good tune in it and add a 250 dollar extra fuel pump).

You can build a 4L80 all you want, but you are still going to blow the overdrive out of it as soon as it shifts into 4th on a WOT pass, depending on how heavy the vehicle is, what sort of traction you get on launch, and how hot the tune is.

There is a reason all the 7,500 pound 11 second pickup trucks are running allisons and the only guys running 4L80's behind duramax's are the lowly Express vans.

ben
Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

nodular 9" would probably do the trick, depending on how heavy the vehicle is...

just my opinion.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

or, if you want something smaller and lighter than the allison that will still take the power of a tuned up duramax, run a dodge 47re.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

ya, i'll go with the 3/4 ton axle. be the first car in 8 Lug Magazine, lol. if i go with that, and i just might, i'll probably take it to an axle shop and have them cut it down and narrow it some so it'll fit.

well, to end the tranny war going on here, i'm going to use a lly/lbz with an 06+ style 6 speed allison. i'll probably start out with a suncoast stage IV kit, and when/if that goes, i'll jump up to an ATS stage 6 tranny.

i'll keep the dodge tranny in mind for the future, but i figure the best way to do this is to buy a donor truck, like a roll over or something with frame damage, and jerk the duramax/allison/rear end right out of it. that way i have everything and won't need to worry about aftermarket stand alone engine/tranny computers.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Hybrid
I did find tho that the V-10 turbo diesel from the Audi LeManns car which is the same aluminum block and archetecture as the V-10 turbo diesel available in the top of the line Toureg (i was hopin to find a wrecked one) weighs about the same as an iron headed small block. Trans aint too heavy either...

Put that in ur pipe n smoke it.
actually you are wrong! the Audi Le Mans engine was a Ally V12 twin turbo. And the only thing it had in comon with the V10 engine was the fuel used......

Intresting project. would love to see it done!

Chris.

PS. the VW racing Toureg used the Audi V12 engine (mid mounted driving rear wheels) and not the V10 also. V10 is still a greate engine but i bet its about as big as d-max's and probably weighs as much as it is an IRON block...

Last edited by chuntington101; 06-12-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that its an awsome idea!!!! I'm also thinking of swaping a 5.9 into my impala. If they can put them in old corvettes and monte carlos I can do the same. And I keep reading around that about 1000hp and 1900ftlbs is quite doable on the 24v's with just turbo and fueling upgrades. I would have to spend about 40+grand to hit that on gas. And you gotta admit the black smoke looks bad ***!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
I think that its an awsome idea!!!! I'm also thinking of swaping a 5.9 into my impala. If they can put them in old corvettes and monte carlos I can do the same. And I keep reading around that about 1000hp and 1900ftlbs is quite doable on the 24v's with just turbo and fueling upgrades. I would have to spend about 40+grand to hit that on gas. And you gotta admit the black smoke looks bad ***!!!
haha not quite..................

ben
Old 06-13-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
good luck
Old 06-13-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxben
haha not quite..................

ben

I'm taking it that u don't read the diesel power magazine? There's a 2500 dodge in the latest issue that makes over 800hp and 1500ftlbs. Stock internals. Just with a cam, turbo and fuel.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

true, but a cam doesn't count as "turbo and fuel". and that's still a fair bit short of 1000 hp and 1900 torque.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Teching In

If Diesel Power could get 1/8 of the tech crap they post in their magazine accurate/correct, I would read it.

If you think 800+ rwhp is as easy as you are making it sound, you are dreaming. Plus, 800rwhp is scary enough in a 7,200+ lb truck, wtf do you think you are going to do with an 800rwhp diesel in a car? I guarantee a diesel in an f-body with "only" 500-525rwhp would be more than enough to scare the crap out of you. 2wd starts being useless above 450rwhp on a diesel anyways. You cant compare HP levels of diesel engines to gas engines. I know that "hp is hp, doesnt matter which engine", and I cant explain why it is completely different with a diesel engine....but it just is.

Just my opinion.

ben
Old 06-13-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

i think the word you're looking for is torque.

besides, it's not like i'm going to try to launch with that much power. i'm pretty sure i could get a progressive tune, kind of like the viper venom. and even if i can or can't do a progressive tune, i'm going to have several tunes. true, 450-500 rwhp would be plenty most of the time, there's a few times when it won't be enough. i don't want a duramax with just a tune. i'm going to stroke it(mostly just because i want to), cam it, injectors, and twin turbo it, all later down the road. true, i'm never going to need that much power. and i'll probably only use it a few times. but it's there if i ever want it. i'm going to keep a very week street tune on hand so i don't waste my tires every time i try to take off from a stop light. but if i ever want more, it will be there. your signature says you have a 12 second truck. do you need all that power? probably not, but you still have it anyway.

Quick Reply: fbody + diesel?