Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fbody + diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well of maybe not a 1000hp but its still cheaper than getting a gas motor to put that hp out. And I want to put in a 5.9 in my impala to be differant. And I think since its a heavier and a torque motor would do it some good. I will put in a 5.9 sooner or later.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i completely understand where you're coming from. lots of power for relatively cheap, good mileage, and the awesome ability to have this conversation
"hey, you know you're putting diesel in that?
ya, it makes it go faster" lol. i want to see the look on someone's face when that happens.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

this is a good idea ive though it over many times myself to find a donor camaro and try this project. maybe i will in the future but also i know the issue of weight and size and everything can be a problem haha dont shun me but have u thought of find a diffrent diesel motor..... like a powerstroke are even a cummins i know it should be a crime to even think of those thoughts lol but hey it might just work out better. ya never know
Old 06-14-2009, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

there's no way i'm going with a powerstroke. it'd be about the same size as the duramax, but, in my opinion, not as good. the 7.3 would be the same size or bigger, i won't go near a 6.0 and the 6.4's haven't been out long enough to tell. i did half consider a cummis, but then i'd need to drop it in a dodge. i don't think i could bring myself to cross bread a vehicle unless i started from the ground up. it would be like having a dick and *******. it'd be cool, but pointless. i'm going to look into the fbody duramax for now. if it starts to look real bad i'll reconsider the platform.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea a duramax would be a better choice a little lighter and most likely fit easier. And if I tell people I'm puting a diesel to make it go faster. I'm sure ill get I'm a freakin retard response a lot. People still think diesels are dogs. That's another reason I would do it.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

yea i understand i wouldnt do it either but hey u dont always gotta show them whats under the hood i dunno its just a thought a cummins would probaly work the best over a powerstroke since it should be a bit smaller
Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Teching In

definetly do a duramax. Cummins-swaps are for trucks/SUV's. Its not even really worth swapping a cummins into a car. It weighs a ton, is really tall, really long, etc...

dmax fits perfectly in where any big block will fit, doesnt weigh that much more than a big block, little easier to get power out of, you can tune it with efilive, revs faster, and its GM so the wiring, tranny's etc.. all work nicely together

a stroker twin'd dmax in an f-body? Wow...good luck with the 'progressive' tuning there, you would be hard pressed to get any traction at less than 100mph.

as of right now I cant say I would spend 12 grand on the stroker kit. I have yet to see one do something a stock stroke dmax couldnt do. Just my opinion though.

ben
Old 06-15-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

talking really stupid now, but has anyone ever converted a Duramax to Methanol??? i hear its what some of the tractor guys do. Bet that would make a bit of power! lol

Chris.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

duramax is still gonna weigh alot specially with the tranny but its a worthy project itll cost quite a few $$$ but who cares.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuntington101
talking really stupid now, but has anyone ever converted a Duramax to Methanol??? i hear its what some of the tractor guys do. Bet that would make a bit of power! lol

Chris.
what you heard was water-methanol INJECTION (basically just windshield washer fluid) to cool intake charge temps. NOT actually running the engine on methanol...this isnt a gas engine...good luck getting a diesel to run purely on a fuel that was designed to prevent knocking/detonation!

ben
Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Teching In

the 5.9 cummins in the early dodges had a 150lb crank. ive seen a dt466 running on alcohol on a sled puller.

this is somthing different. i think the engine was perfect for such a heavy car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_kjaxIDzc

as for powerstrokes, they have problems developing high hp because of the HEUI pump. i am a chevy guy but when it come to diesel, cummins all the way. my brother and i are rebuild my dad idi 7.3. Then we are gonna experiment with another idi 7.3. if we ever get around to it, i post some info
Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
I'm taking it that u don't read the diesel power magazine? There's a 2500 dodge in the latest issue that makes over 800hp and 1500ftlbs. Stock internals. Just with a cam, turbo and fuel.
Thats BS, It won't hold for very long on stock internals.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Teching In

the cummins 5.9 can withstand some power. only time ive seen one blow up was at a sled pulling event. it hit about 6200rpm before it let go. diesels are built with heavy cranks. if you just wanted a DD, i would do something simple like a 4bt cummins. same bore and stroke as the 5.9 just a 4 cylinder. highest i read about one was about 400hp.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dmaxben
what you heard was water-methanol INJECTION (basically just windshield washer fluid) to cool intake charge temps. NOT actually running the engine on methanol...this isnt a gas engine...good luck getting a diesel to run purely on a fuel that was designed to prevent knocking/detonation!

ben

Ben no i have heard/seen some guys converting a deisel engine to run on methanol! they replace the injector with a spark plus and then pump **** loads of Mehtanol into the engine. i think the idea is that deisel engines are generally MUCH strogner than gas engines. also they are built to run higher comp. ratio that you can run with meth.....

Cheers

Chris.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Ben no i have heard/seen some guys converting a deisel engine to run on methanol! they replace the injector with a spark plugs and then pump **** loads of Mehtanol into the engine. i think the idea is that deisel engines are generally MUCH strogner than gas engines. also they are built to run higher comp. ratio that you can run with meth.....

Cheers

Chris.
ohhh come on...how is that still a considered a diesel????

ben
Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by njkid
the cummins 5.9 can withstand some power. only time ive seen one blow up was at a sled pulling event. it hit about 6200rpm before it let go. diesels are built with heavy cranks. if you just wanted a DD, i would do something simple like a 4bt cummins. same bore and stroke as the 5.9 just a 4 cylinder. highest i read about one was about 400hp.
Theres a 4bt ranger in the latest diesel power mag with 700+hp! i couldnt believe it
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

well, 12 grand buys the whole balanced rotating assembly with bearings. it's still alot, but it will be bullet proof. i know the lb7 connecting rods start to bend at much over 600 rwhp, i don't know what the stock internals of the lbz would take. most of what i know comes from the lb7 because that's what i was going to build in a silverado. but then i started thinking of doing a swap into a car and the late lly/lbz have a revised block to handle more power and be quieter, and they come with the 6 speed. it's probably stupid, but it's a muscle car. displacement matters. what's cooler than a 427 camaro? a diesel 427 camaro.

i havent yet figured out the traction issue yet, but it's all still in the development stage still so i have some time to figure out things like that. it's not like i'm going to be trying to run a ***** to the walls tune on the streets anyways.

i'm not going to have a chance to post up again until august or september when i get out of basic. give me lots to read when i get back.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dmaxben
ohhh come on...how is that still a considered a diesel????

ben
HAha good point! lol Still be lovely to see though!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Restricted User

wow.....

Quick Reply: fbody + diesel?