Sponsored by:

Driveshaft shortening question for a 66 A-body LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:18 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft shortening question for a 66 A-body LS Swap

A few questions about modifying my existing driveshaft.

I currently have a 200-4R in my 66 Chevelle. It came with a powerglide long long time ago. I never did have to modify my driveshaft. Now i'm going 4L60E. It's my understanding that I only need to shorten my driveshaft for the 4L60E swap and flip the trans crossmember.

questions:
1. Approximately how much should I shorten? I know it varies based on how far front/back your motor mounts are. I just need a baseline figure. 3"? I know the 700R4 swap requires about a 3" shorter length shaft.
2. Does anyone know of a good way to measure optimal driveshaft length? I know it's probably U-joint to U-joint but don't know exactly how much play to leave behind for suspension travel etc.
3. Will the yoke fit into the output shaft without any spline count issues?
4. Anyone know of a good driveshaft guy in the San Gabriel, CA area?

Thanks again for any inputs.

I'll be busy pulling the front clip tonight so I should really send out my driveshaft soon
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Start here, some good info on all tranny lengths etc.....

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/trans_dims.asp

You insert your driveshaft into the yoke with about 3/4" left sticking out. Ask your driveshaft guy where to measure, when you find one......everyone does it different......mine wanted outside yoke to inside of bearing housing on differential.

Yoke splines should be the same, try your current driveshaft in the 60E to be sure....

T,
Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Make sure you have your motor & trans installed in their final placement before considering driveshaft length. Whoever you choose to shorten your d/s will tell you how to measure (different d/s shops have different measuring procedures). I used Inland Empire Driveline for my d/s. They are in Ontario, not too far from the San Gabriel area. Their website is http://www.iedls.com. They have alot of good info on their site about measuring, driveline angles, etc.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Thanks for the good info

Quick Reply: Driveshaft shortening question for a 66 A-body LS Swap