Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/T56 in a 1968 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003 | 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1/T56 in a 1968 Camaro?

What's it gonna take? I'm sure this question has been asked before although I'm not sure how because the search option is turning up nothing for 'LS1 1968 Camaro' in any of the forums. And I can't say...'in a 1968 Camaro' because it won't let me use 2 letter words. Whatever

So the search option has been tried. So what do you guys know? What am I going to have to modify or purchase to get this done? Anything need to be taken into consideration before doing this? I do not have the engine and trans yet, but that configuration is what I want to put in there.

Also, in the 'conversions' section, someone noted that a stock LS1 with T56 transmission in a 1968 Camaro with 3.43 gears would do high 11's low 12's. I find this very hard to believe. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks in advance
Tony
Old 11-12-2003 | 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on doing the exact same thing in the not to distant future. Basically you'll have to make or buy some motor mounts to get the motor to bolt in. Probably relocate the tranny crossmember, shorter or longer driveshaft, wiring (either harness or butcher it), probably some exhaust work, possilby notch the frame to clear the accessories (depending if it's an f-body or vette LS1). Figure out the clutch setup (either convert to a hydraulic setup in the 68 or convert to mechanical in the t56. Then figure out the guages and fuel system.

I'd suggest looking at http://www.pro-touring.com/index.htm as many people on there have done this conversion. They make headers for this application. One thing I'm planning to do is mini tub my camaro and I'm thinking of using a 4th gen tank that will hopefully fit between the leaf springs cause the stock tank wont. Using the 4th gen tank will allow me to use the stock fuel pump for the time being.

If you read in the conversion section, many problems are the same from one car type to another.
Old 11-12-2003 | 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

We have discussed this a few times in the Conversions & Hybrids forum. I am doing the same swap on my '69.

BRP engine mounts
Year One tranny cross member
Custom clutch master cylinder bracket (to firewall)
Custom modified clutch pedal arm (to attach master cyl rod)

My site: www.ExtremeG.net

Tony
Old 11-12-2003 | 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a nice site you have there.
Old 11-12-2003 | 07:30 PM
Teching In

Year One did a 69 w/ an LS1 and Auto trans. Even put in the console from a fourth gen. I saw it at the Bristol Bash and it was featured in HotRod a while back.
Old 11-12-2003 | 09:53 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Someone was posting about it in the gears/axle section. You might be able to talk to him.
Old 11-13-2003 | 05:01 PM
Banned

We did a conversion in my 69. Check it out at www.ls1speed.com

Tom
www.ls1speed.com
Old 11-16-2003 | 03:22 AM
Teching In

You guys are my new best friends. You have no idea how long I have been trying to find someone that has actually done the conversion. I have soo many questions about the set-up. Nine Ball I have had your site linked in my bookmarks for months now. If it is not too much to ask could you guys give me a ball park at what kind of money I should be looking at. I don't want to start and run out of money half way through the project. I realize you can't answer everything but a ballpark figure would be nice. And also what did you guys do for the rear suspension. Thanks a whole heap for any info.

Quick Reply: LS1/T56 in a 1968 Camaro?