Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MIT Boy: Troll. Ban him.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was comparing them in the context of specific output. Recent record holders (production cars of course) have been NSX, F355, S2000, and F458. I think it's completely fair to compare them. I guess I did forget to add that I am only considering naturally aspirated engines.

All that aside, I wouldn't say that there is a clearly better engine between Gen3 small block or ford mod motor. I just happen to like the LS1 more for the reasons I've already stated.

Anyway, back to my turd...I mean swap. Thank you to all of you who have offered words of encouragement about the wiring harness. As soon as I settle into a new house with a shop (should be a couple months) I'll get it all sorted out. Whichever I choose I'll keep the other one around to put into the next car.

Speaking of the next car, I did some searching and found out that a 2000 A4 and a '65 mustang have the same track width and within 2" on wheelbase. I'm going to start finding A4 subframe diagrams. Ken Block would be so jealous!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

So you're thinking an Audi A4 suspension inside a '65 Mustang? Would you use the Audi drivetrain?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Yes, that would be the goal. I haven't done much research beyond the dimensions that I mentioned, but my immediate thought is to adapt the audi subframes (front and rear) to the mustang. There would probably be some floor surgery and tranny/center diff mount customization. I know that those audis had a reputation for hanging the engine way out front, though, so the firewall might be able to stay mostly intact.

I've just always thought it would be awesome to have an old car with AWD. The only examples that I am aware of is the Quadra-duce built by Steve Stielow (probably butchered his name). He used a GMC typhoon center and front diff with a ZF gearbox out of a corvette (can't recall which year) and put it all in a '32 ford. The other example is I THINK that someone put an audi A8 driveline in a very early ford (probably another '32).
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Teching In

The Audi on the Mustang would be a sweet project. Modern driveline on a the classic styling of the Mustang. That would be a great conversion as long as it stays Audi and you don't mess it up thinking of using an form of an LS motor.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Good project pushrod. Looking to see how this finishes out. My 68 has milk in the pan since I bought it and no time to play with toys. Always out to sea and after retiring now working in Iraq. I'll get there someday. Think I'll go with either an LQ9, LS2 or LS3 but since mine has the his and hers 400 automatic I'm gonna try the 6L80 or 6L90E.

Cheers!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Default back in the saddle

I am finally moved into the new house with a new shop. Picture for you all to check it out.

Now....back to that idle problem. What are the odds that it is a bad IAC solenoid/valve? To refresh everyone, the engine will not stay running below about 1000rpm, it needs throttle input to start or run, it is stupid rich, and I did try a crank reset (I think it worked, but I am not sure). I also noticed that one of the four wires to the IAC did not have a good connection to the ECU last fall, but when I jumped the connection it did not make any difference.

I also have a crazy idea that I may have put the cam in a tooth off. Would that make it this rough? I have heard descriptions that it isn't quite this bad when people have done that.

As always, thanks for your input and all of the kind comments!
Attached Thumbnails 1968 GTO LS1/T56 Conversion-img_2521.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Default Shop

Hey Pushrod36, I like your shop...when can I come over and see it in person?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

This POS finally idles! The pain[I]ful[I] wiring harness did the trick. Now I am installing the wiring loom and getting it generally prepared for it's maiden voyage. I really wish I knew what was wrong with the other harness.

Quick Reply: 1968 GTO LS1/T56 Conversion