Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ground wire/negative battery plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ground wire/negative battery plan

Hey guys, my LS1 is in my 93 v6 Camaro body (along with TH400 and Midwest Chassis rearend), and based on what I've read on conversions here, I wanted to get opinions on basic grounding from the battery, which will be in the factory location:

• negative battery to front of passenger side head: 20"
• negative battery to passenger side shock tower: 16"
• back of passenger side head to firewall: 4.25"

Does this sound ok? I don't know how people are grounding from the back of the head to the firewall cuz that looks like a REALLY tight fit, but I can probably manage. Thanks for any help/advice guys.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bad grounds cause a Major of Electrical problem that people encounter. I have grounds from my battery to the 1) Body/fender, 2) Block and 3) Frame.

The engine is grounded from the back of the 1) head to the firewall, same location as the PCM (which is inside on the top of my trans tunnel). 2) I also grounded both sides of the engine mount location to the crossmember.

Maybe a bit of overkill. But the engine will be well grounded and pertty much will have no problem finding a path to the engines electrical parts.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Cool, thanks man. Sounds like overkill = peace of mind so I'll probably ground some more, probably the sides of the block/heads to the k-member.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Launching!

On my Spec V I went 1 step further and ran ground cables this way: Fender to battery (some location as factory), battery to TB (DBW), TB to intake (aluminum), intake to block, block to alternator ground, alt ground to frame. Just to ensure I had ALL the bases covered.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Launching!

the original Fbody Batt cables shoot the main ground along with the Starter batt wire together and branch off under the exhaust manifold, the orig ground point is to the engine block a lil in front of the starter, 15mm bolt,

Quick Reply: ground wire/negative battery plan