Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTSV Shifter conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTSV Shifter conversion

I bought a 06 CTSV LS2 6 speed conversion for my Chevelle. I have been sorting through tons of swap threads and have yet to come up with a answer as to what I need to convert the shifter to a conventional one. Do I need a GTO shifter? I have read somewhere that a F body shifter is different. I am trying to get the swap done and can upgrade later. I am running the stock buckets and console and can weld/fab/modify whatever I need. I was also looking at some type of conversion that moves the shifter way forward. I just want to choose the right one. Thanks

Dave
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Resident

I am guessing I need to find a T56 guy. I do have a aftermarket shifter from a ?? Once I receive the engine/trans I can take a look. I guess not too many people go that route but maybe it will help someone else out as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am yet to see such a conversion. Maybe changing the tail housing from the CTS V to a camaro type rear housing might work. Otherwise call Tick peformance (check manual trans forum) and see what they have to say.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 338 Likes on 257 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You will have to change the Tail Housing, Shift Rail, and get an Inspection Cover.

Is the Mainshaft the same length?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just from the looks of that tail housing in the picture. I'd say it will also need to change the output shaft and all that goes with the Camaro tail housing.

Might be cheaper to sell off the CTS-V and pickup a F-Body one.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess its been done before

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...l#post11740412
Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A new tail housing would definitely make for a cleaner install, but looking at that picture I would bet you could cut down those 3 bars and weld them back together shorter to get the shifter closer to the trans. All it would cost you is some time.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you. I was thinking of the forward conversion anyway. That means I would have to take the trans apart and I like the idea of a slip yoke for the driveshaft instead of the bolt on flange. I wouldn't mind buying one of those mechanical speedometer drive tailshafts but they are crazy expensive like $750 when a X-drive is less than half that.

Dave
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I got bad news i benn thary trude that it dont work the main case is the same but the gears are deffernt inside unless u find a trans with broken case u are stuck with that shifter un less u MAKE a rea main shaft
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Default Tail Housing Swap

I think you may be able to change the tail housing and main shaft to get a different shifter arrangment. I'm going to try to do this swap on my F-Body trans in a few weeks. I'm doing my swap with Viper hardware in order for the shifter to clear the bench seat. Check back with me in a few weeks and I'll let you know how the swap went. Email me if you want to know where I got my Viper parts or if you want my f-body parts we may be able to work something out.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, trying to make one trans configured to be like another is not worth the effort or Money... just sell it and buy one that will meet your needs.
I was trying to do something like what your doing.. I was looking to use a F-body trans and convert to a different location. And after researching the cost of the parts and labor, I sold it after finding out that a Viper T56 shifter location would fit my location.

So, unless you have the money to spend and the know-now to do the work, look for something else, I did and came out with a better trans and spend less.

Quick Reply: CTSV Shifter conversion