Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 knock sensors on gen IV engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 knock sensors on gen IV engine

Im using a 2000 ls1 harness and computer with my gen IV 5.3. I know the knock sensor hole on the left bank has to be drilled and tapped for the ls1 knock sensor. I was confused about the right bank. Is the ls1 knock sensor on the right side going to be too close to the starter? Ive tried to search this but maybe im not looking in the right place. From what i have gotten out of it it looks like the left bank goes in the original knock sensor hole but the right bank maybe goes in another hole on the right side? anybody who has done this please chime in. thanks alot!
Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the the knock sensors were in the valley cover????????????
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Launching!

they are in the valley cover on the ls1 (gen III engine), but on the gen IVs they changed the style of the sensor because the ECM uses a different signal from the knock sensor and they located them on the bottom sides of the block down by the oil pan.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought you could use the GEN IV sensors in the stock location and tune the Gen III PCM to work with them.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Launching!

That I am not sure about. Im sure it is possible but i already have the gen III knock sensors and the PCM is already tuned for my cam and exact setup so I would like to use those. Thanks for the info though. keep it comming I still need info on where i need to put the right bank knock sensor.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask in the tuning section about using them. All you would need is the Gen IV knock sensors if it will work. You have to extend the wires anyway as well as the cam sensor harness. It might be the other way around the Gen IV ECM will tune to the earlier ones. I can't remember but thought I read it on here.

I am interested in this as I was looking to run a Gen III 5.3l block with a 58x reluctor wheel and E38 ECM to run a 6l80.

Quick Reply: ls1 knock sensors on gen IV engine