Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUN, QUICK and EASY LS engine conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Well the first descending opinion on a 3rd gen comes from Jim85IROC,and this one has been suggested several times.3rd gen f body does not really appeal to me. But if cant be done with truck intake and accessories then its not going to make it on my list to be considered..
Like I said before, it really depends on what parts you use. The stock exhaust manifolds might give you plenty of room to fit an exhaust, and the truck intake should fit with a cowl hood. You'll probably have a vehicle picked out by then, but when I get my LQ9 into my car I can take measurements to see what it looks like with my cowl hood.

But... www.thirdgen.org has an engine swap area in their forum. A 5 minute search will probably get your fitment questions answered. A thirdgen is a great car, but like with any swap of this type, you want to be well informed before you decide, and part of being informed includes deciding what parts you want. If you want stock manifolds & intake, your swap might wind up being cheaper and easier than mine is going to be.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Syclone354 just posted a vid of a low 11 sec pass with his AWD ... um... Syclone... it CAN and HAS been done. Oh and he drove it 1300 miles round trip !!! Time to rethink that budget build ?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Bo185 what do you think of the clone Syclone with LS motor.What t-case would you use? Start with a 4x4 then lower it?
I would be more worried about the trans strength as I doubt you will brake the transfer case unless your on slicks.

And the S10 would be much lighter than a full size. Just look for a regular S10 4x4. Add a 5.3L (Turbo), 4l80, and NV149 (AWD) transfer case. And enjoy AWD burnouts!

Last edited by Bo185; 10-15-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Add a 5.3L (Turbo), 4l80, and NV149 (AWD) transfer case. And enjoy AWD burnouts!
That'd be pretty wicked..

Big ol' chevy truck would probably be the easiest route though, gobs of room in the engine bay, for whatever you like.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Spartanv8, checked out your concept design Spartanv8.I like it, I like it alot I've been of thinking of doing C4 LS swap for some time ,already have a very low mile L-33 for it.Bang for the buck and weight wise ,I think this is a excellent choice.Sorry to here about your trans scam,Paypal should have got your money back,or at least implement a policy ,like here in Ohio were a car dealer can not keep more than 20% of purchase price on deposits.Sounds like a outright scam going on down there in Indiana.I bet Paypal did not even investigate it ,that sucks.Can I make a suggestion on your Spartan,if you go with the C4 IRS rear suspension.Get one from a manual trans car, they have the stronger Dana 44 8.5 inch gear.They are harder to find and cost a little more but worth it.It would also be neat to see if you take some design cues from the Ariel Atom,love how its frame/ chasse bows in a canoe shape.That car is rear engine thou ,so you may not be able to take that idea to far ,yours being front engine rear wheel drive.If you can stay on a diet and keep weight under 1600 that will be one nasty bitch to drive,close 3 second 0-60 mph times.How much money do estimate it will cost to construct the frame?Keep us posted on your progress .
Old 10-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks omc8, always nice to have positive feedback =) Paypal got my money back, but the way they acted towards me and another 3rd party in the scam who was innocent, I'll never use them again if I can avoid it. I considered using the Dana44 but got the 36 instead because it was lighter. I'll never get all this power to the ground anyway! I'll admit that the Atom was what originally turned me on to this whole idea, but there are a few similar cars that are just as nice as well. I don't really want to copy anyone's design cues, my design is all me =) Not sure on cost yet, will depend who does the welding. Should be fast enough to chase down your average grocery getter..

Do you have a C4 vette? Why not use that for this swap?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes as a matter of fact I do , a 87 convertible 4+3 with 66k miles. But I don't want to do this car ,just going to keep this one the way it is.Ideally I would like to start with a 89 or later with a ZF 6 speed,for a LS conversion.These with a L-33 will weigh in @ about 2900 lbs ,I believe.No one has suggested this swap yet, but I would like to here from anyone who has.Corvette Fever magazine had a C4 5.3 swap in there project cars section early this year.You can be now buy these C4 cars for as little as 2500,there is a 86 coupe auto 76k for 3500 dollars just down the street from me now, for sale.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one has done a C4 vette, come one some has to know?Want to hear more car conversions too!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Yes as a matter of fact I do , a 87 convertible 4+3 with 66k miles. But I don't want to do this car ,just going to keep this one the way it is.Ideally I would like to start with a 89 or later with a ZF 6 speed,for a LS conversion.These with a L-33 will weigh in @ about 2900 lbs ,I believe.No one has suggested this swap yet, but I would like to here from anyone who has.Corvette Fever magazine had a C4 5.3 swap in there project cars section early this year.You can be now buy these C4 cars for as little as 2500,there is a 86 coupe auto 76k for 3500 dollars just down the street from me now, for sale.
i believe that car would weigh in a bit north of 2900 lbs... I am biased to say convert an s-10 ( i love having a TRUCK that will stomp stock f-bodys and vettes, but thats just me. i think you should try to find something that you look at and say " i could drive that every day" and also " man, that thing would fly with a LSx motor!" if you let everyone else pick, you may end up wishing you had gone another direction when you get into it. but then again... Lsx's look pretty slick in the back of a porche too...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

and one more thing, even if you get an inexpensive corvette, im sure the little nickel and dime parts that go out in that thing over time are going to run you more $$ than a lot of other swap vehicles would. If youre going to spend the money to do nice custom exhaust, parts that fit well, A/C, nice wiring harness, keep everything inside functional, and make everything about the swap as nice as it should be swapping into a corvette, you could be into that swap in the $10k range easily, not including the cost of the car itself. For a few bucks more, you could just buy a 2000+ corvette.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
i believe that car would weigh in a bit north of 2900 lbs... I am biased to say convert an s-10 ( i love having a TRUCK that will stomp stock f-bodys and vettes, but thats just me. i think you should try to find something that you look at and say " i could drive that every day" and also " man, that thing would fly with a LSx motor!" if you let everyone else pick, you may end up wishing you had gone another direction when you get into it. but then again... Lsx's look pretty slick in the back of a porche too...
Yes I do like the idea of a S-10s with a LSx motor.But a C4 on the right diet can get down to 2900 lbs .Coupes start at about 3200lbs and with the right eng and trans selection I believe you can get down close to 2900lbs,With a L-33 or LS-2 aluminum block and then mate that to a Tremec TKO-600 and you be damn close ,right there.I would like to hear from anyone thats done a C4 LSx.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Teching In

If you're serious about a C4, this may help you. I bought my C3 adapters from Trey, the owner, and I am very happy with them.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg75vette
If you're serious about a C4, this may help you. I bought my C3 adapters from Trey, the owner, and I am very happy with them.
Thanks Greg for the link to speedhound.com ,this is the company that supplied the the headers and swap plates in the project C4orce 5.3 LSx swap in CORVETTE FEVER and CAR CRAFT June issue, that i made reference to in earlier post.I love all vettes, have a couple myself.Let us know how that C3 is coming along.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So its safe to assume that you've kinda scrapped the budget idea....so now what ? definitely need to either do something different, odd, or not your typical sportscar. Not the C4.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post12413913
Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kj598bbc
So its safe to assume that you've kinda scrapped the budget idea....so now what ? definitely need to either do something different, odd, or not your typical sportscar. Not the C4.
No I have not scrapped the budget idea . Fun ,quick and easy on the cheap are still the the goals here, for my list .And trucks are still high on the the list because,they are easy and cheaper.But I still want to here more car choices.The C4 vette could make this list because it could be bought for 2 or 3 grand and maybe a LSx swap for another 3 grand .In that budget it may not have all the nice stuff,like the melrose headers and use alot of used parts but maybe it can be done.And old school cars that can be swapped using truck manifold and accessories will defiantly be considered.But I will say it again I want to hear from guys that have actually done this swap.Just talked to a guy in local salvage yard,he told he just did a Astro van with a LQ4 4L80E and I know he did it cheap.

Last edited by omc8; 10-26-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one on the C4,more car choices.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks spartanv8 for the link to LS1 +T56 +C4 = good times,I'm going to subscribe to this thread.I knew someone was doing this C4 swap.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cheapest ,fun ,quick and easy truck swap has to be the GM 96-98.On the car side its a little more difficult to pick .Still want more picks for a car swap ,keep in mind to make to top of the list it has to use the truck intake and accessories.Some past suggestions have been 64-72 A bodys ,3rd gen F bodys, 1st gen F bodys ,G bodys, 68-72 X body, S-10 and 240z-350z.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks Greg for the link to speedhound.com ,this is the company that supplied the the headers and swap plates in the project C4orce 5.3 LSx swap in CORVETTE FEVER and CAR CRAFT June issue, that i made reference to in earlier post.I love all vettes, have a couple myself.Let us know how that C3 is coming along.
I forgot he did supplied that project!

Quick Reply: FUN, QUICK and EASY LS engine conversion