Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

How is that C3 project coming?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're referring tome, it's going, but slow. I only work on it about once a week due to a pretty busy life. Now that winter's coming and no garage...

As of now, I have the old engine/ trans out, the dash out, working on the clutch master cylinder, and the modified trans crossmember. I still have to 'refresh' the engine and have all the stuff, but that won't be until spring. I plan on dropping the engine in during winter for mock up.
Most of the issues have a solution that I've either bought or are waiting to buy. The only real snag right now is the fuel system. I want to install a fuel cell, but for the C3's stock location is a bit on an oddball size in the fuel cell world. I don't want to cut the body or any major frame components. I still have some stuff to figure out with the harness (I know very little about wiring), but that's what I'll be working on over the winter.

If you're thinking C3, I would think twice. They tend to be high maintenance in themselves. The swap is much more straight forward than most, but the car can suck you dry. There really aren't too many swap specific parts for the C3 either, but you don't need many (modify the water pump, an '85 1 ton truck clutch MC or Z bar, some sort of trans x member solution, etc). I would go to a corvette forum and check out the problems a C3 will have. They can be annoying and an absolute b!tch to paint. But you won't find another car like it. It's a very tortured love/hate relationship, haha.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hang in there I know what you mean .I love cars, but sometimes I hate them too.I have had to put one project on hold for now ,too many cars to work on .Just going to do one at a time.I keep telling myself !
Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omc8
The cheapest ,fun ,quick and easy truck swap has to be the GM 96-98.On the car side its a little more difficult to pick .Still want more picks for a car swap ,keep in mind to make to top of the list it has to use the truck intake and accessories.Some past suggestions have been 64-72 A bodys ,3rd gen F bodys, 1st gen F bodys ,G bodys, 68-72 X body, S-10 and 240z-350z.
Want to here more suggestions for car LS swaps even its an odd ball.Lets here from you, tell us about it ?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

93-97 FBody
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
93-97 FBody
Ok tell us about your LS-1 swap in detail !
Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the best non LS-1 4th gen F body to swap a LS engine into?Ive heard there is some advantage to use a 98 or later Firebird they have a different body harness. Is this true ?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

C3 Project car here...

Second motor for me. I ran a Carbed LS1 for 2 years.

Now I am running a Stroker LS3 418ci with a CARB !!!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Want to here more suggestions for car LS swaps even its an odd ball.Lets here from you, tell us about it ?
This fits the oddball category. My 1997 Thunderbird... check my sig for the link.

Cheap = yes
Quick = mostly
Easy = depends on your fabrication skills and tools
Fun = Heck yes! Have you ever surprised a Mustang owner?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

What is the best non LS-1 4th gen F body to swap a LS engine into?Ive heard there is some advantage to use a 98 or later Firebird they have a different body harness. Is this true ?
Are you wanting to keep the creature comforts? Factory guages, HVAC, etc...
The less factory stuff you keep, the easier it gets. I'm using aftermarket guages in mine & all the HVAC stuff has been deleted. The only creature comfort I kept was the power windows.

I'd say the best non-LS1 fourth-gen to drop an LS1 into is any one of them that doesn't have one already
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Are you wanting to keep the creature comforts? Factory gages, HVAC, etc...
The less factory stuff you keep, the easier it gets. I'm using aftermarket guages in mine & all the HVAC stuff has been deleted. The only creature comfort I kept was the power windows.

I'd say the best non-LS1 fourth-gen to drop an LS1 into is any one of them that doesn't have one already
I would like to keep as many as possible, what gauges did you use and how much? It appears that if you stay the same year it makes things alot easier. Check this site out [www.tacreationsusa.com 3 4 3 8 V6 to LS1.htm] if you dont get direct link,go to bottom of there home page click F body info then click on engine swaps

Last edited by omc8; 12-16-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rx7, 280z is what i would do.. you can find a non running rx7 for around 3 grand.. 280z for damn near free!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by johnzss
rx7, 280z is what i would do.. you can find a non running rx7 for around 3 grand.. 280z for damn near free!
Geez, with one internet search I just saw a 1987 RX7 GL 2+2 5 speed with 206K on the clock within 75 miles of the hacienda for $2450 that actually RUNS and doesn't appear to have any rust or missing / broken interior! According to my second search those cars weighed under 2850... With a stock 300 HP 5.3 engine, decent traction and a decent driver mid 13's would be easy.

Hmmm.... I need to finish some projects, generate more money and build a larger workshop.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Default c4

Hey Spartanv8, checked out your concept design Spartanv8.I like it, I like it alot I've been of thinking of doing C4 LS swap for some time ,already have a very low mile L-33 for it.Bang for the buck and weight wise ,I think this is a excellent choice.Sorry to here about your trans scam,Paypal should have got your money back,or at least implement a policy ,like here in Ohio were a car dealer can not keep more than 20% of purchase price on deposits.Sounds like a outright scam going on down there in Indiana.I bet Paypal did not even investigate it ,that sucks.Can I make a suggestion on your Spartan,if you go with the C4 IRS rear suspension.Get one from a manual trans car, they have the stronger Dana 44 8.5 inch gear.They are harder to find and cost a little more but worth it.It would also be neat to see if you take some design cues from the Ariel Atom,love how its frame/ chasse bows in a canoe shape.That car is rear engine thou ,so you may not be able to take that idea to far ,yours being front engine rear wheel drive.If you can stay on a diet and keep weight under 1600 that will be one nasty bitch to drive,close 3 second 0-60 mph times.How much money do estimate it will cost to construct the frame?Keep us posted on your progress .
I have never figured out why there is not a kit for the C4 vettes......good looking and lite and will handle with many cars?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnny rocket
I have never figured out why there is not a kit for the C4 vettes......good looking and lite and will handle with many cars?
You dug this old thread of mine up from the dead !
Well Speedhound.com had motor plates and headers for this swap .But I think they went out of business.

Quick Reply: FUN, QUICK and EASY LS engine conversion