Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one radiator fan or two?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one radiator fan or two?

I see plenty of people running either one or two fans on their swaps.

Why would a person prefer one setup over the other?

sound level?

power draw on the alternator?

cooling ability?

Not sure why people go one way or the other.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes its a fit issue, other times its a cooling issue, but I prefer two fans, since on low paeed you can run them in series and its a lot quieter, plus wired in series, they're alway drawing air over the whole width of the radiator
Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the more cmf your fans pull as a whole = better cooling... If you can fit 2, go with 2... make sure you get a quality fan, too. Lots of r&d goes into blade pitch, which = more efficient fan.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd try for the best core coverage you can get, either two small or one large depending on the core size. I used a single 16" (from my old Buick GN) and have no issues with cooling. That's on a Jeg's dual-pass 16" x 22" core with A/C and a huge trans cooler in front of it, SE TX heat and humidity to boot!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends too if you are running Air Conditioning. With AC it is a good idea to have a second fan that comes on with the AC or when the AC reaches a certain pressure level. You can control that with a trinary switch. For basic cooling I run a single 14 inch Spal type fan and it works fine, though you can definitely hear it.

Pat
Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like all stated above, running two gives more surface cooling area, and if you wire them in with the PCM they will kick on low speed (both) at a preset PCM set temp then high speed at another preset. For one thing, its quieter as most rarely come on high speed at idle and another thing is if wired in with the PCM and you have AC, they come on low speed when the compressor clutch is energized.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The trick is just finding something that works. I have a two speed Taurus fan, but don't have the high speed setting hooked up. The low speed setting is all I need. Most people seem to get by with just the low speed.

I went with the Taurus unit because it is a good fit with my swap and you can't beat the $20 pick and pull price.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you that use the PCM to control your fans, what fan-on and fan-off temps for both low and high speeds did you program your PCM to?

Thanks,
Andy1

Quick Reply: one radiator fan or two?