Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying junkyard engine tomorrow.advice???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-Body
Since your th350 convertor has the longer LS1 style nose you will not need longer bolts.

I don`t think that any of the chains will have a dowel pin. I picked mine up from the dealer when I bought my motor (only had 1 in it just like yours, they stick in the trans all the time). IIRC it was less than $10.
thanks for the info. I'll go to the jy. if they dont give it to me I'll just use the one
Old 10-18-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can buy dowel pins anywhere. I got a set of offset dowel pins to align my manual trans from Jegs.

I know the dowel pins are crucial with manual transmissions. There is an alignment procedure to make sure the trans shaft is centered properly. If not it can wear out the trans in short order.

I don't know if there is a similar procedure with auto transmissions.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
No, you should have two. The other must have come out with the trans. You can steal one off another engine, however they really aren't absolutely necessary, they only make life easier.
actually dowel pins are very important. The crankshaft, torque converter and transmission input shaft all share a common center line. If one of those components is offse, then side-loading will happen. Usually this will cause damage to the bushing inside the pump, in the transmission.

I see this issue a lot. I do warranty failure analysis for a larger transmission re manufacturing company, and one of the things I see from time to time caused by missing dowel pin is bushing related problems, cracked flex plates.

The dowel pins are the same that are in any small block or big block chevy. The press into the block fairly tight.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Having 5 or 6 bolts in the bellhousing isn't enough to make certain that everything is alligned properly???????????????
Old 10-18-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by busta9876
actually dowel pins are very important. The crankshaft, torque converter and transmission input shaft all share a common center line. If one of those components is offse, then side-loading will happen. Usually this will cause damage to the bushing inside the pump, in the transmission.

I see this issue a lot. I do warranty failure analysis for a larger transmission re manufacturing company, and one of the things I see from time to time caused by missing dowel pin is bushing related problems, cracked flex plates.

The dowel pins are the same that are in any small block or big block chevy. The press into the block fairly tight.
I will try and find one tomorrow. can I just tap it into the block with a hammer?
Old 10-18-2009, 11:58 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul57
Having 5 or 6 bolts in the bellhousing isn't enough to make certain that everything is alligned properly???????????????
Nope, if you removed the dowel pins and put the bolts in loosely you could still move the trans slightly as the bolts do not fit into the trans bellhousing snugly, there is some slop there.

Yes you can just tap the dowel pin in with a hammer. I usually do it with more hits but softer, I don`t like to just whale on it because it worries me that I could crack off that piece of the block. I feel better giving it 20 little taps in.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Duh...

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
No, you should have two. The other must have come out with the trans. You can steal one off another engine, however they really aren't absolutely necessary, they only make life easier.
Originally Posted by busta9876

Idiot moment, forgot about the REAL reason the dowels were there. I've had them come out before but I always put them back.

Quick Reply: buying junkyard engine tomorrow.advice???