Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*vids on pg 5* 6.0L LSX/T56 in a 1991 Z28 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.. that thing is really nice.. that has always been my favorite body style. and love the color of it
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

i had to trim my eibachs 1.5 coils. do you run your factory tachometer? havent hooked mine up yet and was wondering if you had any trouble getting it working.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Remember, it'll settle some just rolling the car forward and backward a bit. When you unload the suspension completely the tires tuck in a fair amount and they don't go back to normal until the car rolls a revolution or two.

My tach doesn't work either but I'm hoping the resistor mod will fix that for me. *crosses fingers*
Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Teching In

You did an awesome job on the car nick. I can't wait to see what you and your dad do with his new toy. I can't wait to get started on my notch now!!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Teching In

i have been watching your build for a while, looking great. quick question... once you put the shorter crank in, did you simply order a flywheel/clutch/pilot bearing etc. for a 98-02 f-body? thanks. ( i have a short crank and t56 so curious)
Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevynutss
You did an awesome job on the car nick. I can't wait to see what you and your dad do with his new toy. I can't wait to get started on my notch now!!
Thanks Cory! Me and my dad can't wait to pick up his new toy on Sunday. I've been hunting around craigslist for interior parts all week.

Originally Posted by 1973LQ9T56
i have been watching your build for a while, looking great. quick question... once you put the shorter crank in, did you simply order a flywheel/clutch/pilot bearing etc. for a 98-02 f-body? thanks. ( i have a short crank and t56 so curious)
The "shorter" crank is simiply a stock LS2 crank (which I had the reluctor wheel from the stock crank put on the LS2 crank because the LS2 uses the 58x wheel. LS1's and LS2's use the same pilot bearing, and I bought an LS1 T56 and it came with an LS1 flywheel/clutch. I hope this answers your question.

I'm SO excited now. I finally got to take the car down to get some exhaust put on it, and have some other things buttoned up. The throttle cable had a lot of slack in it because 3rd gen cables are shorter, so the shop is going to fab up a bracket to put the cable on so that it has tension on it. They're also re-bleeding the brakes for me because the pedal went all the way to the floor when I was loading the car on the trailer. Also they're doing an alignment which it needs REALLY BAD, it looks like the car was in a bad accident because the front wheels are so bent out of alignment.

I should have it back in the middle of next week, just in time to get the plates renewed and drive it around to my in-laws house for Christmas and show it off.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Teching In

That blue looks amazing on your car. I'm thinking sonic blue or the mystichrome color for my notch when I get it painted.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Nice job i was wondering when it would be done. I saw you were looking for alot of parts on fast. Im stuck waiting on parts right now.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Ya it took me a while to get all the parts I needed, but it came together pretty nicely

Cory, the sonic blue would look awesome I think.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cangrats Nick! Im ready to get mine done lol

Hope you dont drive that thing in a monsoon, that CAI will suck some water up! lol

Last edited by Zach79Z; 12-22-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Damn pretty damn cool
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Congrats man. Its nearing completion! Your damn lucky to drive it for christmas. I wish I could take it outside just to snap a pic or two from a distance but theres about 2 feet of snow out the door. I guess Im gonna have to wait some more.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Launching!

I should be getting it back from the exhaust shop on Wednesday or Thursday! And it's supposed to warm up to about 35* LOL....which should be at least warm enough that I *MIGHT* be able to drive it with my tuner in the passenger seat without my a/c delete/heater box installed. I haven't got that yet
Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Ok, I got to drive the car home tonight with my tuner in the passenger seat. Man I have to say it was the most exciting feeling!

I have a few issues I need to resolve before we got out and do some WOT tuning... I'm hoping some of you can chime in and help me figure out what to do:

1- The brakes are horrible. They've been bled twice now, and are not leaking anywhere. The funny thing is, when the car is not running, they feel firm. When I start the car and drive it, it will still stop like normal, and won't roll on an incline with me pushing on the brake pedal, but I do have to push in the pedal much further than I used to, and they just feel flimsy. I'm thinking maybe the booster is bad now, but it's kind of random that it just stopped working out of nowhere?

2- The transmission to driveshaft angle is way out of wack. The guys at the shop showed me how the bolts holding the motor mounts onto the Spohn pedestals have a washer on the nut end of the bolt, and these two washers are keeping the tabs on the GM mounts from sitting flush with the pedestals. This is causing the motor to sit about 1/4" too high in the engine compartment. On top of that, I need to make about a 3/4" spacer to put on top of the transmission mount on the cross member. When you look at the angle of the output shaft going to the driveshaft, it's inverted from how it should be. The trans is angle down, and so the driveshaft is angled down going forward to the trans. It caused a slight vibration to start occuring from 70mph+

3- When I got it home, I had it sitting in the driveway for a few minutes while I went to open the garage door. When I pulled it into the garage I noticed a pool of oil! I'm hoping it's just the filter or something that is loose. I can't imagine that it would be a rear or front seal because the block literally only has 30 miles on it from me driving it home tonight. I'm gonna check on it on Thursday and post my findings.

4- My left turn signal isn't working. I'm not sure what should happen if one of the turn signal bulbs burns out, but what is happening is the turn indicator in the gauge cluster is staying on constantly, and the bulb in the front bumper won't blink, it just stays on on the regular driving light position, not bright as if it were flashing. The rear amber bulb will just flash and stay on constantly when I hit the left turn signal. It's really wierd. I may have to get a short video to show you guys what I mean. Is this a bad bulb, flasher, or? The passenger side turn signal seems to be in good working order.

Now on the for positives:

1- It pulls like a bat out of hell. I pulled out of a QT in first gear, just easing into it making a right hand turn. Once I got out on the open road in 1st, I romped on it and it spun loose and went to the rev limiter in the blink of an eye, something I'm not used to with the old 305. :driving:

2- It is getting a lot of attention. I drove it home without a hood on it, and between stopping at an AutoZone and a QT, I had 2 different people recognize that it was an LS1 and their reactions were priceless. :waveman:

3- The exhaust not only SOUNDS totally awesome, the install job looks incredible. It's all stainless, goes into a y-pipe and into a single 3" Magnaflow bullet. What I am pleased about is there is ZERO raspiness like you hear on a typical LS1 fbody. It sounds incredible. I can't wait to get some driving videos for you guys.

Here's how the exhaust looks, sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures. I'll get better ones later this week/weekend!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where is st charles at from KC? is that redline performance as in chungs shop? Car looks great man
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Launching!

St Charles is 25 minutes west of St Louis, so it's on the other side of the state from you. And that is Redline Performance, as in Andy's shop
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't wait for some good pics of your exhaust. I'm sure it'll be very helpful down the road when I have mine done.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Launching!

well im absolutly blown away. this has to be the most beautiful 3rd gen car ive ever seen. love the color. nice job!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I can't wait for some good pics of your exhaust. I'm sure it'll be very helpful down the road when I have mine done.
I'm definitely gonna get some better ones soon. I want to fix the small issues I ran into last night first and get the tags renewed so I can drive it then I'll post better quality photos.

Originally Posted by colt_impala
well im absolutly blown away. this has to be the most beautiful 3rd gen car ive ever seen. love the color. nice job!
Thanks, I appreciate that!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueZee28
St Charles is 25 minutes west of St Louis, so it's on the other side of the state from you. And that is Redline Performance, as in Andy's shop
ah, i got it mixed up, the one in KC is reVline not redline. either way, nice to know your semi-close to me I suppose. I'm over in the topeka region of kansas, so probably 4 hours from you.

Quick Reply: *vids on pg 5* 6.0L LSX/T56 in a 1991 Z28 convertible