Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Hellraiser: 1988 RX-7, LS1-T56

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Halloween 2008, I talked my friend Chris N. into driving me to Fargo to make a flight for Nebraska:

After a long flight that took me to Colorado, then to Nebraska, Brandon picked me up from the airport and we went to see my car.

When I first seen it and heard it I was jacked. A quiet idle, but when I stood near it, I gotta admit. I had goosebumps. We hopped in and found a road that wasn't too busy and I took my first rip.

Using half-throttle my little tires blew out, I let off and my heart was beating. The fastest car I drove before this was a bolt on STI. So I was jacked. I spent the entire weekend driving it, feeling out the car before my 10 hour drive home. I do admit, it was the fastest car I've ever driven, and I was a little nervous at first stretching out it's legs.

Whodyautomotive had nice FC's and FD's galore:

The weekend was a blast! Sunday morning however, was time to leave. We said our goodbyes and I headed back north:

I made the drive home in about 9 hours. I averaged 28MPG going 70 MPH. Along the way I barely listened to the radio, just the sweet engine notes. I think I went 70 to 120 about 10 times on the drive back. The car was exactly what I wanted!

Last edited by JaGSpeed; 10-26-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

After I got my RX-7 back from Nebraska last year I realized that the stock cam wasn't all too good with the 4:10 gears and lightness of the car. I wanted more pep up top.

I looked at and learned about cams. I wanted a setup somewhat matched to what I had. So I eventually tracked down Josh (RX-7 guy) and asked him about the cam in his car. I asked him if he'd ever sell it and he told me he would. We made a handshake agreement and I 'bought' the cam.

The cam was similar to an older SLP grind, but was ground custom by comp a few years ago, the specs where.

236/236
.589/.589
112LSA +2 of advance ground into the cam
3200-6800 RPM range

He also sold me a set of springs he used in his build to. Comp 26918's or 918's, also called 'Beehives'. I wanted these because of their price and the fact that they're light.

I also wanted to up the oil pressure and have a better flowing pump to help combat the LS1's oiling deficiencies, so I bought a Melling '296'"oil pump that had the high pressure spring. I also picked up the assorted gaskets and bolts for the swap and an LS2 timing chain for extra insurance. Since I'd be spinning more RPM then before.

Also, I always use Jesse, at Overkill Customs in Hines, to work on my car. A super nice guy who is kind enough to put up with my bs and does great work and pays attention to detail. I've never been disappointed in his work or have had a complaint about Jesse. Plus it's hard to find people to trust and I trust Jesse with my car.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Pics!

Project start! Various parts I needed and a tool Corey let me borrow (thanks Corey!)

Starting point:

Janzter ported throttle body:

Front accessories off, coil packs off, started on the valve springs:

Damper off:

236/236 .589 .589 112LSA camshaft before cleaning and lubing:

Had to pull the motor out a little ways to get the oil pan loosened for the oil pump pickup, removed the timing chain, cam sprocket, oil pump, and a few little things.

Muddy car at Overkill Customs!

Ls2 timing chain and Melling '296' pump with high pressure spring installed, cam installed:

Coming together:

LS6 intake manifold and Comp Hi-tech push rods installed, new water pump also:

Back together!

Also installed some eBay brand "Sokie Tech" hood struts:

Worked amazingly, installed in about 10 minutes. Woo! No more hood prop! Not like I can use one anymore because of:

You can see it in the pics above too. Jesse made it out of 14 gauge steel and its just to hold the top part of the radiator from moving and putting tension on the Whody Automotive radiator mounts that where tig welded to the radiator. Now I can't budge it. Woo!

Video!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

The following Wednesday Jesse, Seth, and I all ran down to Andy Wicks at Dynotune USA in Watertown, South Dakota. Anyways onto the dyno and pictures.

I was ecstatic with the results and can't be any happier with the tune and the way it drives.

Big thanks to Jesse, Andy, and Seth for what they did with the project.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Hey,

I had my car dyno'd again at my friends fundraiser. Modifications didn't change other then I added a SLP underdrive pulley purchased from HinsonSuperCars.

Car specs:
1988 Mazda RX-7

2002 LS1-T56, 33K on the clock
-236/236 .589/.589 @ 112 LSA, Comp custom grind
-stock 241 heads, 918 springs
-7.4" Comp pushrods
-Factory LS6 intake with ported TB
-3.5" intake with K&N filter
-SLP pulley
-JTR 1 3/4" headers with 3" primries, custom 2.5" dual exhaust with x-pipe and 7" round Magnaflow mufflers
-No PS/AC or anything of the like
-Dynotune USA tune

Car has an aluminum driveshaft and 8" stock Mazda 4.10 LSD rear end. The car did run a 12.7 @ 119MPH with a 2.3 60ft on 225/50 Kuhmo MX's, I need better tires . The car weighs in at 2760 without me, 2960 with me in the car.

Car picture:

Dyno pull:

Graph:

Track run just for ***** and giggles:

Quick Reply: Project Hellraiser: 1988 RX-7, LS1-T56