Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 El Camino Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my 85 radiator.

I have no cooling problems in fact if anything it runs alittle to cool.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep I used my 85 radiator too. eventually I swapped in a plastic tanked aluminum replacement radiator from autozone.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Does anyone have pics of how they ran the hoses?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Bottom hose to thermostat housing. Top hose to top inlet.

I used the hose from the donor had to cut the top hose.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 AM

I used the 01 tahoe hoses that came with my motor. The top one fit, but I trimmed one or both of the ends for an even better fit and now it looks like it was made to be there. The bottom one required some trimming to fit, and it still touches the frame. I put a piece of split loom covering over that portion and figured I would find a better solution soon.......well its been that way for over 50k miles now LOL.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-Body
The new face/decal was a printout of an image that was designed by another member on this board. He happened to be doing the same swap I was, except that he had the skill needed to photoshop a speedometer design. I just had it printed on a piece of cardstock and stuck it to the speedo.
Hey G-Body,

I am going to try that Autometer swap have you got anymore
info on how to do it or do you remember the members name so
that i can contact him??..
Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM

I can send you the speedometer graphic files if you want, I will have to dig a bit, but IIRC I have both the 82-85 and the 86-88 ones.

Basically I bought a 3 and 3/8" 120mph autometer speedo. Mine was an old time model so it had the mechanical odometer.....I would avoid that one as it misses mileage all the time especially when its cold. I pried the retaining ring off the front lens and pulled the guts out. I pulled my factory speedometer needle off the gauge and took the mechanical guts out from behind the elcamino gauge. I then re-drilled the elcamino gauge face to match up with the screws on the autometer gauge. I had the background printed out on cardstock (I did it at a kinkos the first time and it was ok, I later had it reprinted at a local neighborhood printshop and it was much sharper and higher quality there.) I didn`t even glue the cardstock onto the elcamino gauge face, I just have it held on by the 2 screws that hold the autometer electronics to the back. I also had to file out the odometer hole on the el camino gauge plate so that it would line up with the odometer on the autometer electronics. Once I got the autometer mechanicals mounted to the gauge face I found that I had to grind away a little bit of the el camino dash board bracing to clear the electronics, but it wasn`t too bad.
Attached Thumbnails 84 El Camino Swap-speedo-autometer-front.jpg   84 El Camino Swap-speedo-autometer-side.jpg   84 El Camino Swap-speedo-finnished.jpg   84 El Camino Swap-speedo-cluster.jpg   84 El Camino Swap-speedo-reface.jpg  

Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks G-Body,

I think I can figure it out from there. Your instruction are great and the speedo
looks like it was made for it.
I don't quite understand the cardstock dial was a black made by using the Autometer
face as a pattern?.

I see SW and Autometer speedometers on ebay for about $150 to $300.
SW and one call a Buell somewaht cheaper will they work?.

I
Old 11-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Alright so I am getting further into this and I came across another question...Throttle cable will the one I have work with modification or will I need to get a different one? Does anyone have any advice or pics?
Thanks I really appreciate all the help.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM

Yep, the autometer spacing was copied onto cardstock so that it would have the correct spacing for the 120 speedo but would look more stock. Any electric speedo that will accept the 4k per mile signal, or the sine wave signal from the VSS will work. You just might have to have someone make a face for it.

I used the stock truck throttle cable. You have to slightly enlarge the hole in the firewall and bend the pedal a bit to get full throttle.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks G-Body,

I'll put it to work. SunPro just came out with a electric speedo retail is about $150.00.
Ebay has them for $119.00 I think I'll go that route.

I used a Lokar unversial throttle cable. Easy hookup and looks and works good'
about $40.00.

Lookin for a 2" steel cowl hood for a 85 El Camino, if anyone knows of one?

Quick Reply: 84 El Camino Swap