Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t56 crossmember and hooker headers question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t56 crossmember and hooker headers question

ok i got a 67 camaro and im workin on puttin a 5.3 and t56. i got two questions im hoping someone can help me with.

first has anyone tried the hooker headers? i built motor mounts but there not the ones that holley make, i made the ones that the front bottom ls1 mount bolt also goes through the old school sbc mount. i believe s&p make the same ones.

also anyone have an idea of how to modifythe th400 crossmember to fit the t56? or does anyone have any plans or pictures of a custom fabbed one? any help is really appreciated
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to the top
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

Default Check out my Project at Pro-touring .com

69 Camaro LS3 transplant.

I believe your motor mounts will need to be a tad bit further forward to keep the hooker headers from hitting the steering petman arm. You won't be able to use the same bottom hole of the sbc mounts into the LS bolt hole on block. Your mounts will need to be about 1" further forward, hence the Carshop Moutns = 1" setback.

You can also check out a Crossmember I fabbed from a kit for $50 bucks.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Default CarShop Mounts

I was looking at the mounts on the car shop web site. They look like the bottom hole is used for the 3 bolt mount. Also, what crossmember did you use to modify for the t56?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your mounts will need to be about 1" further forward, hence the Carshop Moutns = 1" setback.
its backwards.

hooker mounts

s&p (carshop mounts)

the hooker mounts move the engine right against the firewall. the s&p style mounts move it an inch from the firewall.

i am running a t56 crossmember form ATS along with my hooker headers. lots of room. also, my hookers needed to be dented and i also took a little metal off my pitman arm. the headers are designed to clear the steering box by setting the engine back.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks alot i got my hooker headers in today looks like if i put a small ding in them they will clear the steering box and the pitman arm was fine but im thinkin maybe on going rack and pinion. does anyone have this? does it make it steer like a newer car?

Quick Reply: t56 crossmember and hooker headers question