Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in my 97 Jeep TJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8envy
check your grounds, make sure you have every ground connected also make sure you have a quality ground going from the block to the frame. Kind of the most common problem start there, then let us know what happens!
I did overlook grounding the block to the frame and the body, so I will be doing that on my next visit to the Jeep, I have doubts about it curing the problem, but it is definitly important, and hopefully i'll get lucky! I had zero problems with the last engine in there, so im sure its just one little thing that i've overlooked.. just need to find it
Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

I have 9" of up travel on my FS Cherokee and had to ensure when the housing moves up to the bump stops it doesn't crash into the oil pan. In order to do that I set it up much higher than it appears in your application. My transfer case is an old NP208 so it doesn't have any a VSS in there.
Keep us posted on your progress it looks great.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so havent worked on the jeep in a couple weeks due to christmas and new years vacation. But the last two days I was able to do a couple things... went over my wiring harness and noticed the cam sensor wasnt plugged in all the way, so took care of that, I ran my key/hot wire to the pcm, and I also ran a ground from the block to the frame.

She's turning over but just will not start, im starting to wonder if something is wrong with my coil packs, or my PCM from howell... I know its getting fuel, but I havent checked each plug to see if they are getting spark. Pretty disapointing that it will not start, feel free to comment on what you may think it is, i'll be making some phone calls during the week to try and trouble shoot the possibilities. I thought for sure today would be the first start up.

On top of all that one or two teeth broke off my brand new flywheel while cranking today.. I couldnt believe it. Its the cheaper flywheel that has the outer teeth welded on but still, it shouldnt of broke like that. Good times
Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Launching!

wow that s nice build....keep up the good work...and pics..kinda wana do something like that now.....
Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by H8TO WRK
What is that intake Tube and connectors from? Im looking for something for my TJ swap. I need a tight 90 degree at the throttle body looks like your would do the trick
Same question, but for my station wagon.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Suprisingly AutoZone had my Air intake on the shelf, Its a Spectre Product. I had to do a little customizing to make it work, but not a lot
Name:  100_7159.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  80.7 KB
Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Just might go and have look around....

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

did you finish your install? Fortunately, I am having a 6.0 installed and hope it will be done soon. My question is the pan length. does your 5.3 stick down farther than stock?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

love it
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Any pictures of your exhaust routing?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Little teaser video of it starting up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDME0cEpojc

It wont stay running though... I am trouble shooting it.

Possibilities:

1. VATS- Doubt it though, bought the PCM from Howell and it was bench tested..

2. Fuel Pressure

3. Fluctuating power to the PCM... (Voltage drop) after start-up

ANY other ideas why its doing this??
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 236 Posts

I did the Howell computer and wiring kit and it works great.

Make sure you have 12 volts when you turn the key to start and when you release the key back to run. I wired into two different fuses in the fuse block.

Also did you run the fuel pump 12 volt wire from the wiring harness from the LS1? If you used the stock Jeep 12 volt wire thru the Jeep computer it looks for the engine turning over or running via a sensor on the stock Jeep flywheel or crank sensor I forget which.

Just my .02
Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Teching In

i plan on doing this swap on my yj hope that its similar to tj swap because thats all i can seem to find write ups on
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I did the Howell computer and wiring kit and it works great.

Make sure you have 12 volts when you turn the key to start and when you release the key back to run. I wired into two different fuses in the fuse block.

Also did you run the fuel pump 12 volt wire from the wiring harness from the LS1? If you used the stock Jeep 12 volt wire thru the Jeep computer it looks for the engine turning over or running via a sensor on the stock Jeep flywheel or crank sensor I forget which.

Just my .02

Ya, I need to test my voltage connections Key on and Key release and make sure its always 12v... Im thinking this is the culprit, but not sure yet.

I am still running my stock fuel setup from the Jeep, it is under the recommended 58psi, but quite a few people have run this way with pretty much no issues, I wanted to go this route until I could upgrade my fuel system. I retained the stock jeep computer and wires, so basically im running two computers

So, No I have not utilized the 12v wire from my new howell harness for the fuel pump, should I splice that into the stock wire? Maybe that could be the issue.... This also sounds like it could be the culprit!!

Good suggestions, thank you. yes i'm a newb, its my first build ever :-)
Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spliced the Howell harness fuel pump wire into the stock fuel pump wire. The LS1 computer needs to control the fuel pump. The wire from the Jeep fuel I just cut and taped off.

I ran the stock 4 cylinder fuel pump when I did the first 4.8 LS swap.Ran great no issues. On my LS6 TJ I replaced the stock pump with a Walbro 255.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I spliced the Howell harness fuel pump wire into the stock fuel pump wire. The LS1 computer needs to control the fuel pump. The wire from the Jeep fuel I just cut and taped off.

I ran the stock 4 cylinder fuel pump when I did the first 4.8 LS swap.Ran great no issues. On my LS6 TJ I replaced the stock pump with a Walbro 255.
Oh man, I think you hit the nail right on the head with what my issue is. This makes me very very happy. Its gotta be what the problem is. This also means, I can pretty much toss my jeep computer in the trash, which makes me even happier... only reason I was keeping it was for the fuel pump... im such a newb! lol..
I will be working on it this weekend, and will report back, hopefully with a video of the engine starting and running until I turn the key off. Thanks man
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I kept the jeep computer because it controls a number of things but to be quite honest I didn't spend the time to figure it out how many.

I didn't change the stock dash with the exception of the tach. I transfered the jeep sensors for oil and temp sensors to the LS6. I'm using a Autometer tach that uses a signal from the Howell harness.

It's so much fun when they run!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

can you please give me instructions or pictures to wire up the stock fuel pump? there are 4 wires coming out of the tank and only 1 wire on the howell harness... so i am not sure how to wire it correctly. it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

pulled an all nighter and the motor finally runs awesome im real happy. just waitin on my driveshaft to return then its time for the first test drive
Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome, should be a lot of fun, continue to post pictures and/or videos of the project. I really want to do an ls swap into my cj, however not sure if i will since i have a sbc with less than 8,000 miles that i swapped in a few years ago, always wanted to go ls but at the time it was very expensive.

Quick Reply: LS1 in my 97 Jeep TJ