See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 Thunderbird Gen III Budget Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats a cool build, fast on a budget, hope it came back together for you.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for asking, I haven't updated this in a while... The car is back on the road in stealth mode. New windshield, fender, light, hood, etc. all back in paint.

The only bad part is I need tires because I have a pair of home made slicks which make the traction problems of that car worse.

I have a few upgrades in mind but they are on a temporary hold as I'm working on a few swap projects for other people and working a ton of hours at my day job.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much will u charge to make another ac and alt bracket?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigchief52780
how much will u charge to make another ac and alt bracket?
I never thought about a cost for duplicating parts because I didn't figure anyone else would be interested so I threw away my templates. If I did make more, I would have to make them differently because the alternator and AC mounts make the lower radiator hose go through the loop of the belt. This means if I pop a belt I can't swap it without draining the radiator. I created this monster when I built the brackets in the car because hood and frame clearance were so limited. As such I didn't realize this was a problem until I tried to put the lower hose on. Since I usually do that stuff on the stand and on cars that are simpler to get the engine in and out of the chassis, it's easier to see things at all angles.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Default it keeps going :)

So I just spent a few hr's reading... Nice Work & right up! kind of wish I had fownd this info some time ago... you know like before you wrote it after what page 6? I was bumed to see the Deth Race 2000 mod Glad your geting it back together!

I sold My 95 LX V8 T-Bird to help out A "friend" in need like 3 years ago but had to repo it.. just gave the car back last year after siting on it for over 2 years wating for my money & tring to find the (dident fill out the lean holder part on the back... ) but thats a Hole nuther story... I'm a die hard Chevy Guy but always did like that body & ended up geting mine from my naber for a $1000 & some fab work on his yoda 4 runer.. it was grandmas car & only had 80k! thay thout it had A trany prob, AS did I! after 6 months it wuld start fine but fall on it's face as soon as u hit the gas... so it got parked do to ford fog 4 maby a year, well i looked for tranys & ponderd Just puting the 02 silverodo drive trane i had in it.. like i sed I'm not a ford guy but a big guy & i did like it, nice & roomy.. just not the drive trane + I had just got my 00 SS so ther was no big hurry. then I had An epiphany "same thing hapend on the TPI swop in my 84 Z28 a decade & 1/2 ago" & I changed the tps! better the tires cherped but not fixed back to reading.. then I cleand the MAS & Bam it ran 10X better than when i got it & the trans was fine.. Hencs the sale to the naging friend with no money! lol sorry getting side traked... I never got to moding any thing on it outher than drild rotors & 17" rims. lol I culdent deal with driving on the sloppy tall skinny 15's it made a worild of difence just going to the 17's evin in stock trim! & thats the 2ed reason I'm posting when i started looking for 5 x 4.25 T-bird rims i culdent find any thing I liked that wasent big $$ & with all that i saw posted no one mentchend why thay had a difrent bolt patern is becuse it's all jaguar parts! after I figered that out I Got back to hunting but this time for 5 x 4.25 jaguar rims but this is what I ended up geting, thay reminded me of hot wheals

It definitly wuld have been lowerd if i had't sold it!

I still have the rims but no use for them, so if your intrested...
but if you wuld like do some hunting your self I think the Jag XJS is what you want to look for but it's been a while
so hears a list I stold from Ebay of all the jaguar's that had the 5 x 4.25 bolt patern
2000-2008 S-Type
S-Type R

2002-2008 X-Type
3.0 Sport Wagon

2004-2009 XJ
XJ8
XJ8L
XJR
XJ Super V8
XJ Vanden Plas

2008-2009 XK
XK
XK cabriolet
XKR
XKR cabriolet
XKR Portfolio

2008-2009 XF
Luxury
Premium Luxury
Supercharged

I hope that helps open up some more wheal opshons for you
George #4
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Jags, Taurus, Windstar, LS, and I think a few of the later BMW cars had the same bolt pattern and spacing.

SWS
Old 07-23-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

Wow! This old thread is still going? I kid, I kid!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Wow! This old thread is still going? I kid, I kid!
Ha, ha, ha!!! Well, the car is still going, so why not?

What's up Chris and Eric, How have you guys been? Long time since we spoke. I need to get to a cruise night or two but work has been crazy.

Thanks for the compliments gorr4. The car is so fun to drive I couldn't let it die.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Just livin the dream. I have been really busy with no free time.

SWS
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would love to see a supercoupe with LS power. Or maybe an SC clone since the real ones are getting really rare. Here is a pic of my old 93 SC which is probably long gone now (i sold it in 2004 with 133k and rusted out rocker panels which i had already fixed once)

It was kind of rare because it was a 93 and was red on red. 93 was one of the rarer years of production. It ran 14.6's and only had a flowmaster cat back, k&n filter, removed air silencer, and probably a shift kit (all of this except for the removed air silencer was done before i bought it in 2000)

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 07-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Launching!

My SC is very similar to that. Red with black insides...but its a 5spd. If you wanna donate a LS style engine and turbo, I would stick it in there in a heartbeat...no pun intended.

SWS
Old 09-26-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

So, any updates on the car? Did you ever do the body work and paint that you talked about before? Any track times? Post some pics if you could, I would love to see how she looks now.

thanks, kevin.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BFK86
So, any updates on the car? Did you ever do the body work and paint that you talked about before? Any track times? Post some pics if you could, I would love to see how she looks now.

thanks, kevin.
The car looks the same as before the wreck... The damage was repaired ages ago and she is still collecting miles like they are going out of style! My buddy came through and installed my new windshield, I ordered a headlight from another friend who sells such things, then I found OEM sheet metal in the 'yard then fitted and sprayed them at home. Nothing really special to report, just basic dirty work.

The track, the weather, my job and I haven't been able to coordinate a day so there are still no times. I want to repaint the entire car in a friends booth as the original sections look a bit tired compared to the new but that will have to come next summer when I can pull it all apart and drive something I won't drive during the winter. If I do it, the whole car will still be factory color and I will make the engine bay neater at the same time. Nothing overboard, just solidify things for the next 100K miles and a few minor upgrades that annoy me.

If I do upgrade this car, I'll post pictures and the story here. Currently my spare time is spent working on a couple of completely different projects. Once they are complete, I'll make a topic for them.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

After all this time there is a small update to report, the car finally has dual exhaust. I can't believe I went this long without doing this but life got in the way.

Original setup was dual 2.25" pipe merged into a single 2.25" pipe adapted to a salvaged factory V8 car (2.5") "I" pipe with dual 2" mufflers at the tail (engine pipes not pictured on the right).

The muffler shop made a T shaped merge to run the left and right banks together which worked but was not exactly high flow. The hole is barely 1" diameter!

He didn't help me at the collectors either...

I smoothed the air path in both collectors...

...and started modifying things to install these... Note on the right the flanges I made so it all comes apart in sections.

Finished product.

At current, the car sounds almost the same because I'm using the same puny 2" factory mufflers. Actually it's a slight bit deeper, but I swear it seems even quieter than before (if that is possible).

I ran out of mandrel bends so I couldn't make an X pipe and I haven't decided which mufflers I want but I'll post a video once I swap them.

One thing to note is the car is much more responsive than before.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great project.I have a 90 Blue Max Cougar.It's all original with blown head gaskets and a spun rod bearing as a result.It's loaded as far as options.The only thing it didn't get was the 3.8SC with 5 speed and 8.8 with rear disc brakes.Best part of the car is it only cost me $80 to get it towed home and $30 to title it in my name.I'm planning the 99-01 5.3 with the original truck tranny.Once shes driving,it's onto the resto with a few upgrades previously mentioned in this thread.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build, I've always liked that body style.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Teching In

This thread makes me want to find a dead or dying Cougar. I came within $500 of buying a new one in 1996, glad I didn't, but sad I have not owned one yet. The great thing about shopping for an LS swap project car is if the motor or trans is shot, it doesn't matter. Even if BOTH are shot, doesn't matter.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Here is mine.It's a first gen MN12 with the vertical rear glass.

The only body damage.

The dog pile Ford considered an engine.

The cockpit display.It's nice but I prefer an Autometer cluster.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlueMaxCougar
The dog pile Ford considered an engine.

I USED to have one of those engines, ha, ha, ha!!! Even in top form mine couldn't outrun a cavalier with a girl behind the wheel.

Nice car, should be an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I USED to have one of those engines, ha, ha, ha!!! Even in top form mine couldn't outrun a cavalier with a girl behind the wheel.

Nice car, should be an easy fix. Good luck.
I own a 98 sundust gold crapilier and it can't get out of it's own way.May need some LS motivation.

Quick Reply: 1997 Thunderbird Gen III Budget Engine Swap