Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I had an audi lying around.. and a 5.3...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great choice for the host vehicle. Should be alot of fun and comfortable. Keep us up with your progress.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

holy effing awesomeness batman lol this will be one great built. keep up the work!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thirdgengta350
holy effing awesomeness batman lol this will be one great built. keep up the work!
Setting up my drill press to be a DIY mill today, hopefully will find some flatstock and make the mounts for the a4, s10, and the new shop resident datsun z car in the next few days. Got the harness all nice and pretty, new coilpacks, waiting for some more connectors (thank you ups/usps for being slow as ****). I'm trying to make all of the mounts as bolt on and non invasive as possible, will post pics!

Anyone have any good sources for 5.3s in miami? They're all overpriced around here!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Mockup motor and trans on the way. FTW
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet Build!!!
Ya know, if GM would check out some of the threads in this forum (conversions and Hybrids) they would get some good ideas for vehicles and be in a better financial position.

Hey GM, Lightweight, V8 powered, rwd, coupes and sedans, ..keep those manuals transmissions around... throw in an AWD for the hell of it...and leave room for for a turbo....or two, FTW.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hefftone
Sweet Build!!!
Ya know, if GM would check out some of the threads in this forum (conversions and Hybrids) they would get some good ideas for vehicles and be in a better financial position.

Hey GM, Lightweight, V8 powered, rwd, coupes and sedans, ..keep those manuals transmissions around... throw in an AWD for the hell of it...and leave room for for a turbo....or two, FTW.
I agree. I think GM should just abandon every other motor and put LSs in everything. Cheap, ftw. I'd love an awd lsx car that doesn't blow up.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

It fits! Mockup motor came along with the mockup th400, tons of trans tunnel room, not too much room in front but I'll make it work. This is sitting on the crossmember no oil pan, add about 2" for the pan I plan on running. Intake will probably be a victor jr with an elbow or I'm going to put this one on backwards and run an intercooler where the battery is. Should be fun!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

Update (not that anyone reads it)
Motor mounts will be milled today with any luck, doing some other work here and there. Rossler TH400 and Precision 3600 stall coming soon, with a transbrake of course. I need to get the a4 up in the air and machine a new diff carrier for the 8.8 rather than the strange little rearend thats in it now. I'll get pics soon I swear lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by themachasy
...Rossler TH400 and Precision 3600 stall coming soon, with a transbrake of course...
Got to say, that's a strange combination for a touring type car!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:37 PM
8 Second Club

definatly more pics !

can you get some under car shots and maybe some of the engine mounts.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Her is a link to some connector information I am working on with a link to Mouser fo purchasing the connectors and pins.

A WORK IN PROGRESS
Old 02-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Teching In

This is going to be sick. Im jealous!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cobra198
This is going to be sick. Im jealous!
ahh.. matt
Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Thealien
Her is a link to some connector information I am working on with a link to Mouser fo purchasing the connectors and pins.

A WORK IN PROGRESS
Thanks for the link!

You guys really make me want to finish this thing asap! It's great when everyone likes the project. I haven't posted it on the audi boards yet, not until its done. As for under the car shots, i need to raise up the coilovers a LOT before I do that. Thing is still on the ground. I think I'm going to use welder series mounts (PM me if you want the address, I don't want to skirt any advertising rules). I mean, look at these things!!!!

They come in a kit so I can weld em up myself. I got some waterjet pricing and was pretty shocked at how high it was. The motor plates alone were $18 a piece. (just the small 4 hole mounts) These are over 100 but they're bent, laser cut, and perfect!

Wanted to know also, how fast have you seen people go on 255 ET street radials? I'm not sure im going to be able to fit a 275/50/15, I can definitely fit a 255/50/16 without a problem at all. Think that'll be enough?

Last edited by themachasy; 02-06-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Nice looking mounts.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Nice sleeper! You can go very quick on a 255. A few of us V8 Volvo guys used to run around on 245's, even, and if you get 'em sticky enough you're going to move.

Are you leaving the battery up front? If not, is there a reason why you didn't channel into that first section of bulkhead to get the engine set farther back? From what I can see in the B5 Passat I'm thinking about this swap for, it looks like this is just a 'dummy' bulkhead that isn't terribly structural. I could be very wrong, though.

Thanks for any info! Subscribed, of course.

Also, the pre-cut 'weld yourself' mount kits are the way to go. I used a set on my Volvo project (for SBC, not LSx) and it saved me a ton of time. Just made the base plates, a few cuts, and welded 'em. Done.

Keep posting!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sikbrik
Nice sleeper! You can go very quick on a 255. A few of us V8 Volvo guys used to run around on 245's, even, and if you get 'em sticky enough you're going to move.

Are you leaving the battery up front? If not, is there a reason why you didn't channel into that first section of bulkhead to get the engine set farther back? From what I can see in the B5 Passat I'm thinking about this swap for, it looks like this is just a 'dummy' bulkhead that isn't terribly structural. I could be very wrong, though.

Thanks for any info! Subscribed, of course.

Also, the pre-cut 'weld yourself' mount kits are the way to go. I used a set on my Volvo project (for SBC, not LSx) and it saved me a ton of time. Just made the base plates, a few cuts, and welded 'em. Done.

Keep posting!!!

The dummy bulkhead is being removed a bit, however the steering rack is right under there in the back. Makes plumbing a turbo up front absolute cake, can't setback the motor too far though without some very different setups. I think it'll be fine. Thanks for the advice on the 255s, I'll try em out!

The battery will be moved to the back if I can't fit a decent water to air in the engine bay easily. Kinda nice having everything right there and not having to run a rear firewall (the rear seats fold down and are rather useful!).

Last edited by themachasy; 02-07-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Chatted with Carl Rossler today, got a th400 with a brake and a few other toys on the way. Theyll find their home in the s10 but will go into the a4 for testing sometime soon as well =)

Should be able to fire up the megasquirt testing rig tonight and see if this bitch works lol
Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First very nice build. We put 5.3s with megasquirts in everything.

On the connectors, depending on what you need, you can get kits from ballenger motorsports.

We have 255 60 15s M/T drag radials on the Novawagon. This is off the foot brake. http://www.1320video.com/img/DW09Wed...0315.sized.jpg

This was a 10.00 run with a 1.5 sixty, the car weights 3850. Stock 6.0liter with 2 60 mm turbos.

If you have any problems with getting the megasquirt working PM me.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man! Just wrestling with the IAC right now, didn't wanna work. Need to break out the multimeter and see if I hooked up one of the lead pairs backwards (I'm sure I probably did) Crank trigger and cam trigger are hooked up, got my 12v feed from my computer for now. Thing works pretty damn good, I'm excited. Using ms2 extra fw, should work pretty good. Slowly getting there.

Originally Posted by atomic 6
First very nice build. We put 5.3s with megasquirts in everything.

On the connectors, depending on what you need, you can get kits from ballenger motorsports.

We have 255 60 15s M/T drag radials on the Novawagon. This is off the foot brake. http://www.1320video.com/img/DW09Wed...0315.sized.jpg

This was a 10.00 run with a 1.5 sixty, the car weights 3850. Stock 6.0liter with 2 60 mm turbos.

If you have any problems with getting the megasquirt working PM me.

Quick Reply: I had an audi lying around.. and a 5.3...