Try this place, they claim to use the car's PCM to operate it
http://www.icomitalia.it/lang1/index.html

I'm not sure if they'll sell to the states
http://www.icomnorthamerica.com/

Ken
Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good info you guys are posting, thanks.

-SS
Old 02-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Well, it's not LPG but the Honda Civic GX uses CNG as its sole fuel source. Might be another avenue to research the technology as I'm sure they're not using mixers like the old Dodge utility trucks used to.

Cool topic.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LPG (propane) has a storage pressure of approx 120psi. A full tank of CNG (natural gas) can reach pressures approaching 3000psi.
Safety standards be damned, which one would you rather have under your *** when some moron decides to pile into your ride?

Ken
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd vote LPG too!

-SS
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Banned

Forklift part work great for a cheap propane conversion. They just dont work very well much over 6000 rpm. Had a 496BB in a crawler I had That was 12 to 1 with a tunnel ram with 2 Impco 425's (flow 425cfm of propane, will support approx 450hp each) on Holley DP baseplates and 2 model E's. Propane mixes evenly with the air, so even with a tunnel ram it made great low end. Also, every mixer set up Ive seen is boost refferenced, so they work great with a blow through turbo's. Propane burns very clean (oil will look new with 10,000 miles on it) and burns at a low temp. Ive got a propane set up right now that will eventualy make its way on to an built old school VW stroker motor. Lower burning temps work great on air cooled motors. Its 105 octane and resists knock like 117 octane fuel.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool redneck, like hearing someone with experience. Thanks.

-SS
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hotrodscrap
Cool redneck, like hearing someone with experience. Thanks.

-SS
Not a whole lot, but some. Lots of research before my first converson so I didnt screw up anything. Propane is pretty simple to work with. Search it on Pirate4x4.com, lots of info and guys who have done a lot with it.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Forced induction and lpg is a match made in heaven.
From my 5 lpg powered cars, i run 2 with boost (turbo and vortech)
One thing you have consider is that lpg doesnt like high temperatures(both intake air and convertor temp) , this reduces octane rating and revert lpg particles back into oily / sludge substance
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeejee
Forced induction and lpg is a match made in heaven.
From my 5 lpg powered cars, i run 2 with boost (turbo and vortech)
One thing you have consider is that lpg doesnt like high temperatures(both intake air and convertor temp) , this reduces octane rating and revert lpg particles back into oily / sludge substance
Thats why I like the regular propane system. You are running the gas instead of liquid. The liquid makes it to the vaporiser and converts back to gas. You plumb either coolant or oil into the vaporiser for the heat you need. This helps cool your motor even further. People I know running turbo's on propane told me the intake charge was cool enough that running an intercooler only cost you power. I also got away with running a Miata radiator on a big block that would have the idle set at 3000rpm all day long in 4 low in the rocks.

Im sure the more advanced LPG systems are capable of more power and better mileage, and tuneability, but I like simple and cheap.

BTW, you can make your own propane kit from used/rebuilt parts from anywhere that services forklifts. Less than 200 for everything but the tanks if you are good at searching the net.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Yep, Im interested in this now.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

It is done here in Australia with a direct injection LPG or propane, On a LS engine it makes more power than a petrol engine. Here is your answer.

http://www.ragelpg.com.au/

http://www.profire.com.au/
Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

I fix forklifts for a living, right now our 4 cyl and 6cyl vortec Gm engines have direct propane injection. The system runs at about 15 psi, converted down from tank pressure. Ecm controlled, O2s, map, iat, ect, all the same sensors on the gas burner. Yes it is higher octane, but has a lower btu output, reduces engine output by about 10% compared to gasoline, requires about 10* more timing, and is very clean burning.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zipster
I fix forklifts for a living, right now our 4 cyl and 6cyl vortec Gm engines have direct propane injection. The system runs at about 15 psi, converted down from tank pressure. Ecm controlled, O2s, map, iat, ect, all the same sensors on the gas burner. Yes it is higher octane, but has a lower btu output, reduces engine output by about 10% compared to gasoline, requires about 10* more timing, and is very clean burning.
The only reason you lose horsepower is if the engine isnt built for the higher octane. Like running race gas in a street motor, it will cost you HP, unless you have the compression to use it. The difference caused by the lower btu output isnt even 2%. The lower temp allows for even more timing, making up for that small drop. If you are limping a high compression race motor around on pump gas, with the timing dropped way back, then propane would put it back to track performance (6500 rpm or lower) on a cheap, clean fuel. And it would run cooler.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Teching In

More info on liquid injection:
http://orgs.kettering.edu/orgs/lpgvan/SAE-LPG.html

BDE Ltd. of Lake Lillian, Minnesota did a bunch of the liquid injection groundwork and was later acquired by Schwan's, and became BI-Phase:
http://www.bi-phase.com.

This was also used by Roush Industries on some of the Roush Fords.
http://www.automobilemag.com/green/r...uck/index.html

Another example:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty_file

Quick Reply: Propane Injection on gas motor for primary fuel