Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found my patient 1995 impala ss

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010 | 08:31 PM
Teching In

Default Found my patient 1995 impala ss

Ok I have finall found a patient for my ls1 swap its bought paid for and its a heep. But I have some questions I want to my put my ls1 into it and I wanna use the impala trans because the one that came with it is fresh and rebuilt never installed. The other thing I wanna do is carb it and use the msd setup. I know the trans runs off the computer what kind of issues will i have with this swap. Or does anybody have any better direction in which i should go with my swap all info will be much appreciated. Will post pics of this old battle tank soon but we just got hit with a snow storm I wanna document my build as I go thanks
Old 02-09-2010 | 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...ferrerid=24589
Old 02-10-2010 | 10:06 AM
Teching In

The link didn't work I guess the real thing I am worried about with this swap is controlling the trans and fuel system since I will be switching to a carb.
Old 02-10-2010 | 05:22 PM
Teching In

Hey everybody I'm also looking for the truck serpentine drive setup a carb intake a set of cheap heads dished flex plate
Old 02-10-2010 | 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That link should work fine. It's to a post I wrote on ImpalaSSForum.com. If you need any help with it, and have any questions, feel free to ask. Glad to see another Tri-9 Impala SS with some LS motivation.
Old 02-10-2010 | 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Why do you want to go carb? Its cheaper to keep it efi as your fuel delivery is already efi. What you're going to spend on a carb intake and msd box can be put toward finding a complete ls motor with the acc drive. All you need to make the older trans work with the engine is the spacer kit sold by GM, and Hughes and some other companies. Btw,welcome to the real ImpalaSS LS powered family!
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:02 PM
Teching In

Default thanks for your guys replies

I guess I just want to go carb because I dont want to deal with computer tuning when I start doing some upgrades. But I also don't know what problems I am going to have with running the trans and other electrical, like gauges the ignition and **** because it will be carb and running off the msd box thats why i am asking for help it seems more expensive to run injected when you start having to tune **** I dont know
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I_wanna_gofast_ss
I guess I just want to go carb because I dont want to deal with computer tuning when I start doing some upgrades. But I also don't know what problems I am going to have with running the trans and other electrical, like gauges the ignition and **** because it will be carb and running off the msd box thats why i am asking for help it seems more expensive to run injected when you start having to tune **** I dont know
Personally, I think the advantages outweigh the cost when going with EFI vs Carb, but that's all vehicle dependent. For this vehicle, I think it'd be simpler to keep it EFI, as the PCM can control everything including the trans. IDK how you would control the trans with the carb setup, unless you run a vacuum operated trans (TH400, 700r4, etc) unless someone can enlighten me.
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:21 PM
Teching In

Well I just got off the phone with the junk yard and they said they have a 5.3 for parts so i was thinking i would go rip all the stuff i need off it for the efi and **** and still use my ls1 bottom end and heads that should work right
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:22 PM
Teching In

If not I found a place that would sell the complete 5.3 with high miles for 600
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It would work. I think the 5.3L Fuel injectors are smaller than the LS1 ones. Do you have the LS1 intake manifold and fuel rails already? We need to know what you already have, before we say what you need to get.
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:24 PM
Teching In

My only other questions is how bad is the wiring because I am F***ing retarded
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:25 PM
Teching In

I only have the bottom end and heads nothing else
Old 02-11-2010 | 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I_wanna_gofast_ss
I only have the bottom end and heads nothing else
Ok. Wiring isn't too hard. It's just time consuming. The 5.3L intake manifold won't fit under the stock hood, so you'll need an LS1//LS6 intake manifold and fuel rails.

If you want to run the truck accessories, then pull the alternator, brackets, PS pump, etc off the motor. You'll want to get a L92 water pump to clear it you're using the LS1/LS6 intake and DBC throttle body.
Old 02-11-2010 | 05:05 PM
Teching In

Yeah I dont have all the efi stuff but I think I am going to just buy a 5.3 with everything I need and just drop it in the car and get it running and then maybe later I'll pull it back out and use my ls1 stuff I have. I have found a couple resources on the truck stuff for pretty cheap the intake is no biggie I wanted a cowl hood anyway.
Old 02-11-2010 | 05:06 PM
Teching In

What all is involved in the wiring are you guys doing it yourselves or what because I know you can send it out to be done but it would be nice to have a home built car. There is a certain gratification in doing things yourself.
Old 02-11-2010 | 05:15 PM
Teching In

And GA95DCMSS your car is slick hope my car looks that good someday this is my second 95 my first was real hood but I want a fast driver here is a pic of my old one do you have any engine pics
Attached Thumbnails Found my patient 1995 impala ss-imp.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010 | 09:07 PM
On The Tree

If the truck intake clears a cut cowl then why wont it clear the stock hood? Is it the throttle body that interferes?
Old 02-12-2010 | 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by B-Rad420
If the truck intake clears a cut cowl then why wont it clear the stock hood? Is it the throttle body that interferes?
Huh?

The truck intake is tall as hell. A cowl hood is taller than a stock hood - isn't it? (at least I always thought they were) If you lose the truck intake, you lose nearly 5 inches of unnecessary height. Sorry, I'm confused and not quite seeing your logic.

Old 02-12-2010 | 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Haha, no, no, no, I said cowl and stock hood, not cowl hood. You know...the cowl...the thing above the back of the engine that the wipers attach to. The factory b-body COWL (not cowl hood) is pretty low and you would need to cut it to fit a truck intake, so I have read on impalassforum.com. Just wondering why the engine wont fit under the stock hood if it fits under the cowl after its cut. Unless....when someone says cut the cowl they mean to totally remove the cowl area above the engine..then its makes sense to need a cowl hood if you have a giant hole infront of you wipers where your engine sticks out.
If that dosent make sense now then I give up, lol.

Quick Reply: Found my patient 1995 impala ss