Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 69 chevelle, i have a ls1 out of a 02 vette, would the stock manifolds fit in this car or do i have to buy headers, (i did a fbody oil pan swap alrerady), i tried to put in my 72 chevy truck, but hit the manifolds, tryin to go the cheapest route for right now
Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Im using the stock manifolds off a camaro for my swap. im using a CTS-V oil pan, so im not sure if the f body pan would allow you to use manifolds or not
Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What did you do for 02 sensors with those manifolds? I know there is a bung in the driver's side but where did you put the pass?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Teching In

i haven't quite got that far yet, but i was just planning on welding in new bungs on the down pipes on both sides, because i dont have enough clearance on the drivers side for an o2 sensors. im pretty sure you can get just the bungs from summit, and then you can just place them where ever there is enough room.

another issue i am having with the stock manifolds, is that i am having trouble coming up with some exhaust flanges, they are different from older models, and seem to be hard to find in salvage yards, because they are part of the catalytic converters i think.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Question....
can i put an ls6 cam, and stock 02 5.3 liter heads on a '98 block? and will my stock intake still bolt up?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

genIII is genIII common practice is to have the 5.3 heads ported and polished with larger valves and slapping them on an ls1 as a head upgrade
Old 09-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Teching In

what about the push rods? would my stock rods work with the ls6 cam and 5.3 head swap, or will i have to get a different length?
Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Well i have gotten a lot done to the Chevelle! i got the firewall painted, and i dropped the LS back in for the final time. Now i am working on getting everything hooked up and plugged in.

I hit a little bit of a snag with the fuel lines tho... i am kinda new to all of this AN fitting stuff and was wondering what sizes and types i needed to get my fuel system going?

I am running a 3/8 steel hardline along the frame, and need to connect the stock rubber fuel line coming off the fuel rail to my new steel 3/8 line.....

also i bought the Corvette fuel filter/ regulator so i need to connect that filter to my 3/8 line some how.......

the last thing i needed help with was connecting that filter to my fuel pump. i am using a 94 Caprice fuel tank and am using the stock sending unit assembly from that tank also. it just has the OEM style lines coming out of it. Im planning on using braided lines to connect the filter to the fuel pump, but not sure what connectors i need to to that with.

Thanks for any info! i will post some more pictures on here as soon as i can
Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, what did you all do about the little coolant line that runs under the throttle body?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Teching In

I am doing the same mod. I believe the little coolant line is a steam line. I beleive I read that you can drill and tap a hole in the water pump and connect the line to it.

I am not an expert, I just started my swap. LS1 w/ 4L60E into a 68 chevelle.

Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Yeah thats what i was thinking, but wasn't sure if that was the best way to do it or not...?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Default On the road again!

Hi guys, I've not been keeping up to date on here lately, but heres the latest on my swap...

I got all the bugs worked out and have been daily driving the LS1 powered Chevelle for about a month now.

The car got 300 rwhp on the Dyno, and got 20 mpg on short road trip with a lead foot behind the wheel.

I sold my truck and now only have the Chevelle to drive everyday, and it has been incredibly reliable. have had very little issues at all the entire time the car has been drivable!

The entire swap including motor and trans came out to around $4000. I would highly encourage anyone thinking about doing a swap like this to do it!!

I did this entire swap myself, so hit me with any questions!
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-chevelle-2.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-chevelle-1.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-chevelle.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job on the swap - looks awesome! I'm doing my fuel system right now and got the same Impala tank. My tank did not come with a neck so I'm making my own. What is this tube in the picture? Is it part of the neck?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Teching In

yeah that tube goes into the neck above where you put the pump nozzle in. I think its to help the fuel flow better while filling up. I modified the impala filler neck to fit into the bumper where it belongs, but its a pain to put gas into. If the tank starts to get more then half full, it is hard to get the fuel to go down the filler neck without clicking the pump off every 5 seconds... just something to keep in mind when building your filler neck. I will probably try to make another neck myself.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you use ls6 cam? Did you use stock ls1 push rods?
Ls6 is a small base cam... Meaning you need different length push rods. Nice swap!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Teching In

thanks! I didn't change the cam or anything yet. Everything is still bone stock, just got rid of the emission stuff and reflashed the ECM.

I will probably do heads cam and intake on it, and maybe boost it later on... but I will have to get a stronger rear end and trans first!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Launching!

For you guys looking for harness modifications and ECM mod's cheap, check out www.lsx-harness.com
A member of Nastyz28 who is also a member here (JJFarmer) pointed me to them who said he had good results.
They're VERY inexpensive , roughly under $400 for everything to be modified.

Then there's Brandon from www.lt1swap.com who does ECM mods for $150

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
What I did was went to a junkyard and bought a tank off a 95 imapla ss for $50... $50 for the fuel sending unit.... I knew that pump prob was not going to be up to the task so I looked at racetronix's kit and several others which were around $200 bucks..... But I looked at Summit and found the Granatelli kit that came with a 255 lhp pump.... I called Summit and one of the techs told me, "the kit comes with a Walbro 255 pump but we don't advertise it"... So in short I saved about $75 bucks on that..... Then I am running a vetter filter/reg.....

$125 pump kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRN-GM722-2/
$35 filter/reg

I think you clicked on the wrong link on Racetronix website for the B-body fuel setup.
The pump kit from Racetronix is only $125 and includes the same thing you got from Summit for $125
The Racetronix setup has an advantage, because it comes with the flexible fuel pickup tube that doesn't
kink when bent like the rubber hose does which causes fuel supply issues.

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...PA-004&eq=&Tp=

If you click on the image, you'll see it includes the same stuff you got in your Granatelli kit.

The $200 link includes a fuel pump harness ($50) with weatherproof relay and the bulkhead connector assembly ($30)
http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...c=RFPK-004&eq=

Another area I just realized you can save some $$$ on is Rock Auto carries the Vette Regulator made by WIX #33737 for half the price. ~$34
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=488943

Last edited by Aceshigh; 06-18-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brax 69 chevelle
yeah that tube goes into the neck above where you put the pump nozzle in. I think its to help the fuel flow better while filling up. I modified the impala filler neck to fit into the bumper where it belongs, but its a pain to put gas into
Do you have pictures to show an example of what you're describing here ??

I thought this was just a breather tube. Never heard it had to be combined
into the filler tube somehow. BTW Congrats on finishing the swap.
I'm halfway through my 6.0L LY6 / T-56 install in my 1970 442 now, just starting to drop the motor in now.

Another question.....
Did you have to shim your motor mounts 1/4" or more at all for tie rod clearance ?
I've been told using the SBC Chevelle mounts, and the Energy tall and narrow's you have to shim it up a tad for clearance.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I've got the same filling problem on my 72 Olds 442 with a caprice tank. The vent tube in the pic is capped off on mine though. I was thinking of modifying the neck to accept the vent hose. Is yours capped off or tied into the filler neck?
Originally Posted by brax 69 chevelle
yeah that tube goes into the neck above where you put the pump nozzle in. I think its to help the fuel flow better while filling up. I modified the impala filler neck to fit into the bumper where it belongs, but its a pain to put gas into. If the tank starts to get more then half full, it is hard to get the fuel to go down the filler neck without clicking the pump off every 5 seconds... just something to keep in mind when building your filler neck. I will probably try to make another neck myself.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Launching!

That's my partner in crime ^ ^ who showed me the racetronix info and motor mount info

Quick Reply: LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...