Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Do you have pictures to show an example of what you're describing here ??

I thought this was just a breather tube. Never heard it had to be combined
into the filler tube somehow. BTW Congrats on finishing the swap.
I'm halfway through my 6.0L LY6 / T-56 install in my 1970 442 now, just starting to drop the motor in now.

Another question.....
Did you have to shim your motor mounts 1/4" or more at all for tie rod clearance ?
I've been told using the SBC Chevelle mounts, and the Energy tall and narrow's you have to shim it up a tad for clearance.
I had to weld 1/2 inch plate steel under my mounts to gain the clearance i needed for the oil pan. otherwise the cts-v pan i used would hit the crossmember. I also used 1/2 inch mount adapter plates, which raised the engine a lil more.

and on the vent tube, it is easier to just tie it into the filler neck like it is originally because otherwise pressure would build in the tank while filling and would be trying to escape around the gas pump nozzle. and if its not routed back into the tank you would have lots of gas fumes coming out of it.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
I've got the same filling problem on my 72 Olds 442 with a caprice tank. The vent tube in the pic is capped off on mine though. I was thinking of modifying the neck to accept the vent hose. Is yours capped off or tied into the filler neck?
mine is tied into the neck, but i still have problems filling. I think that the filler neck is just not high enough compared to the top of the tank.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn, looks like I'll just have to get used to holding the pump handle.
Originally Posted by brax 69 chevelle
mine is tied into the neck, but i still have problems filling. I think that the filler neck is just not high enough compared to the top of the tank.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Default dakota digital gauges

I put some new dakota digital guages in the Chevelle this weekend. they worked out really well and weren't very hard to instal. They read the factory speed and tach signals from the computer. and came with the oil and temp sending units, as well as all of the fittings to adapt them to the LS1 engine.

These are really good gauges to use with this swap because they come with everything to monitor a modern engine ( unlike many other gauges out there)

They also have a 0-60 and a quarter mile timer as well as quarter mile speed built into the gauges.

everything is adjustable so you can make sure you always have good readings.

The kit I bought was $695 total
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-dash.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-guages.jpg  
Old 09-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Default new fuel rails and coil pack covers

I haven't done much to the LS swap lately, just been enjoying driving it. still running good, not had any problems with it since i finished the swap. took it on a lil road trip, got 22.8 MPG, nothing to complain about there!

I did put some aftermarket fuel rails and chrome plated aluminum coil pack covers on it. cleaned up the engine bay a lil.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-232323232-7ffp73464-nu-85-6-6-258-wsnrcg-344-536557349nu0mrj.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-car.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 AM
Teching In

Great thread and glad to hear someone who has made the install of these digital gauges. I've been looking at these for some time now!!! I'll be sure to add this to my build list when the time comes on my 69 chevelle swap!! Keep up the good work!!!

Originally Posted by brax 69 chevelle
I put some new dakota digital guages in the Chevelle this weekend. they worked out really well and weren't very hard to instal. They read the factory speed and tach signals from the computer. and came with the oil and temp sending units, as well as all of the fittings to adapt them to the LS1 engine.

These are really good gauges to use with this swap because they come with everything to monitor a modern engine ( unlike many other gauges out there)

They also have a 0-60 and a quarter mile timer as well as quarter mile speed built into the gauges.

everything is adjustable so you can make sure you always have good readings.

The kit I bought was $695 total
Old 09-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

thanks man, yea those gauges are nice and real easy to install in a car with a gen III engine, bout the cheapest way too if you run a late model transmission with no speedo gears in the tail shaft.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My neck was low as well and gas would splash out when I accelerated so I cut half the neck off and made a new one angled a bit higher. So far so good. The car I got the new end from (a 90 camaro I think) had that extra tube thing inside the neck. I couldn't find a gas cap to fit the spectra tank so I had nothing to lose. Not very pretty though - https://ls1tech.com/forums/15268858-post214.html
Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride, now its time to start planning for boost!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was just catching up with your threads.. and saw that you guys were having issue with your filler neck with the B-Body tanks..

I was able to use all of the B-Body filler neck parts. I cut down the rubber hose and the filler next.. and bolted mine up and have no issue with filling or gas spilling out.. I did also connect up the smaller vent hose to the top of the filler neck.

Hope these photos help..

BC
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice project
Old 10-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Cool build!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Finally Painted the Chevelle. its been my main daily driver for about a year and a half now. I have been very happy with the LS swap, not had any problems out of it. everything is still bone stock in the motor and tranny, just been playing around with some tuning with EFI Live.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-photo06121730.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-photo04091721.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-photo04091720.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Default Looking for Digital Dash...

Your car looks great!!! i am looking to convert my dash to the dakota digital like the one you have. I was wondering where did you purchase it from. Was the installation difficult to make it work with the LS? What other parts are needed for an ls?

Thanks in Advance!!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Teching In

thanks man, i bought my setup directly from dakota digital. it was pricey, but it worked out really nice. it was easy to instal. it came with all of the sending units, and adapters to make them work on the ls. the gauges have their own computer that all of the signals go into, and reads the tach and speedo from the ecm for the motor. the gauges for my car were around $750, but it comes with everything to make them work on a ls engine.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Car looks great! I have seen 23 mpg from my LQ4 as well. And what great driveability.

Quick Reply: LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...