Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...

its been a while since i posted any updates on my swap, so here it is...

first off, i got the motor sitting right where it needs to be using the CTS oil pan and raising the motor up about an inch total. Everything clears great!
The stock Fbody AC compressor and alternator even clear in their stock locations without any cutting or notching what so ever. i was even able to hook the AC lines to the back of the compressor!

While i had the oil pan off i got an oil pick up tube girdle from BRP for about $30 total. it makes the pick up tube feel much more secure than the original setup...

I had to modify the trans. tunnel just a bit to get the engine into the car, but once its was in there it fit great! I used my stock crosmember and trans mount for the 4l60E.

I will soon pull the motor back out and paint my frame and firewall.

Right now im working on the gas tank. I am using a 94 Caprice gas tank which is really similar to the stock 69 Chevelle tank. I have to modify the strap mounts and trim up my frame rails that the tank sits in between for it to fit.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-chevelle-ls1-013.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-chevelle-ls1-017.jpg   LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...-chevelle-ls1-010.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you are making some good progress.

Check to see if the tank will fit before you trim the frame rail. I did not have to trim mine.

Also, can you update one thread instead of making a new one every time. It will make it much easier to follow.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you raise it up one inch? I am doing a 1971 Chevelle.

How does the CTS oil pan compare to a corvette oil pan. I am going with the LS3 crate motor with 480HP and it comes with a corvette pan.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

your probably not going to be able to use that vette pan.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Teching In

i raised it an inch by welding a 1/2 inch plate of steel to my cross member where the motor mount sit, and made a 1/2" alluminum adapter plate to bolt the mounts to the motor with. with this setup the CTS pan fits perfectly. you just put your mounts on the motor when you drop it in, and mark where you need to drill new holes into the cross member once you got the motor in place.

i used the short energy suspension motor mounts that are made for the old motors, and just bolted them to the adapter plate i made. I will post some pics when i go back out the garage.

I have not tried a Vette pan, but just by looking at them it seems that they will not fit near as good as the CTS pan.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Whats the best thing to do about the EGR systems on these swaps? do i need to leave it all on there, or can i take the EGR stuff off?

also... I am looking at a wiring harness from haywire for like $560 or so. they said it is what you need to run the engine and transmission, has anyone used anything like this? im just curious as to what all it runs, and how easy it is to install.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can elimiate the EGR/AIR stuff, wires and then flast those code out of the PCM.

They market block off plate or can just weld them shut (on the exhaust manifolds). I am using the CTS-V pan will give you some good clearnance but need to raist the engine a bit more that a notched F-Body pan. You might look into aftermarket or the RetroLSx swap pan, its model after a LH8 pan, but shorter.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

what benefits come with eliminating the EGR stuff? does it make the engine run any better?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Launching!

you can do more search on wire harness, I got mine for $500 with the ecm flash with whatever you want.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lamdenali
you can do more search on wire harness, I got mine for $500 with the ecm flash with whatever you want.
Where did you get your harness from?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Teching In

i just ordered my wiring harness the other day. there is a local place called haywire that builds these harnesses. its gonna cost about $700 and take a few weeks for them to get it done. but its just a plug and go harness so it should be pretty simple to hook up.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

can you be a little more specific with what your doing for a fuel system? i'm looking into doing nearly the same thing on my '74 with a 5.3
Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brian.harmon1974
can you be a little more specific with what your doing for a fuel system? i'm looking into doing nearly the same thing on my '74 with a 5.3
I know you asked brax69 but if this helps you:

from 90-96 the:
Buick Roadmaster
Chevy Impala
Chevy Caprice
Caddy Fleetwood

all use the same gas tank....

The 95-96 came equipped with the EFI sender for a 5.7L

What I did was went to a junkyard and bought a tank off a 95 imapla ss for $50... $50 for the fuel sending unit.... I knew that pump prob was not going to be up to the task so I looked at racetronix's kit and several others which were around $200 bucks..... But I looked at Summit and found the Granatelli kit that came with a 255 lhp pump.... I called Summit and one of the techs told me, "the kit comes with a Walbro 255 pump but we don't advertise it"... So in short I saved about $75 bucks on that..... Then I am running a vetter filter/reg.....

$50 tank
$50 sender unit
$125 pump kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRN-GM722-2/
$35 filter/reg
$260 on fuel system

I used my old line that I had upgraded from a previous build from my 468 BBC...

Goodluck

Last edited by bozzhawg; 03-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Teching In

im basically doing the same thing. i got a fuel tank out of a 95 caprice. it came with the stock fuel pump and sender, but i need to change the pump out. ive been looking around at pumps, but have not decided on one yet. on the fuelines, i already ran an aluminum line that fed my carb. motor. i will probably use the aluminum lines for my return, and run new steel fuel injection lines for my feed. i have not installed my fuel tank yet, but it shouldnt be too hard. i just have to make some custom straps, and cut an access panel in my trunk floor. if you can find a good used OEM fuel tank that is already set up for fuel injection and will fit in your vehicle, it will save you a lot of money that you can use on something cooler than a gas tank. they make stainless steel tanks for fuel injection, but those usually cost around a grand... i just couldn't see my self spending that much on a fuel tank.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Teching In

well i got a few more things done to the chevelle in the last few weeks...

first off, my wiring harness came in. i ordered it from haywire in Joplin and it cost $740

i also got my fuel pump. i ordered it from summit. someone posted a link on this page for a fuel pump, and thats the one i got. i got it sitting in my 94 caprice fuel tank now. i also ordered the corvette fuel filter/regulator so that i only need a short return line for the fuel... its cost about $80

I have not got fuel lines yet... i heard that orielly's can make some, so i might hit them up next week.

i checked my gear ratio, and called a guy named jesse about reprogramming my ECM. he said that it wont take long to do and will cost about $90, so i may send him my ECM soon.

I made a new tranny tunnel and am now cleaning up the fire wall so that i can paint it soon before i drop the motor in for the last time.

i will take some recent pics and post them soon!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Default Harness

Hey I'm out of wichita, Do you know if that guy could puy me a harness together for an LQ4?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

ya he should be able to. just tell him exactly what motor you have and all that stuff. im not sure how he does his shipping or anything. i just drove to his shop to pick up my harness. their number is 417 623 1950. it took about a month for him to get my harness done, but it looks good!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

thanx bosshawg ive been busy with school doing finals and just had a chance to look at stuff again
Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Teching In

im looking for a throttle cable and a shifter cable now.. anybody have any ideas?

I need the throttle cable that fits the Chevelle gas pedal at one end and the LS1 Throttle body at the other end.

and for the shifter, i have a B&M floor shifter and im running the 4l60E tranny

anybody know where i can find these?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Check out Lokar. They should have something for you application.

Sam

Quick Reply: LS1 Chevelle updates and pics...