Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS power into 1980 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce4935
from the pic it looks like you have everything you need to get the engine bolted in.
The third picture is off of another member on her, but its on a truck and looks like I need that type of mount, the on that bolts up to the ls1 adapter plates.

Also the mount on the kit(first picture) is too narrow for the mount on the car(second picture). I'm not an expert, so I may be doing it wrong.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found the mounts I need, borrowed the picture from GC99TA, hope you don't mind.now where do I get them? Haven't seen these anywhere.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no the mounts you have are normally used for older sbc mounts.... youll need these for those frame mounts
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...7775&3671=1002

but the transdapt plates still wont line up right if you want to use factory holes, the carshop plates fit perfect, and apparently the edelbrock ones too....
Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eroc022
no the mounts you have are normally used for older sbc mounts.... youll need these for those frame mounts
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...7775&3671=1002

but the transdapt plates still wont line up right if you want to use factory holes, the carshop plates fit perfect, and apparently the edelbrock ones too....
Yup! That's what I need, thanks! Trans_Dapt plates are either going on sale or I might try returning them either way, I need the new ones. Do you know if the Edelbrock headers fit with the car shop plates?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zamora7
Yup! That's what I need, thanks! Trans_Dapt plates are either going on sale or I might try returning them either way, I need the new ones. Do you know if the Edelbrock headers fit with the car shop plates?
yep, thats whats on mine....

your going to have to remove the passenger side lower control arm brace thats basically a metal rod with a bolt on the back of the lca mount going to the frame...
Old 10-16-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eroc022
yep, thats whats on mine....

your going to have to remove the passenger side lower control arm brace thats basically a metal rod with a bolt on the back of the lca mount going to the frame...
Sweet, thanks for all your help. I still have to call Summit and try return this and some other items and get what I need so I can really start moving on with it.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Called Summit and I'm getting a refund, I got to pay for shipping and 10% restocking fee. Maybe I'll end up with $40 or $50.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

atleast thats enough to cover the carshop plates
Old 10-16-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nunan0219
atleast thats enough to cover the carshop plates
Yeahzir, already ordered along with the mounts I need!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see you got It figured out, keep at it!
Old 10-17-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Glad to see you got It figured out, keep at it!
Yea me too. When I called the trans dapt people they had no idea what type of mounts where on my car, neither did the summit guy, he told me to call trans dapt because they should have been able to provide better help, not really. The guy said I was going to have to do some "fabrication" to my existing mounts for them to work. I asked why would they sell a product that wont fit the application that they are advertising and he didn't respond, so I hung up on his ***.

Anyways, cant wait til the mounts get here.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I worked on the car for about an hour after I got home from work. Took the sub-frame off the car and stripped it of all brake lines(too lazy to do it before taking it out) and bolts off of it. I was thinking of sanding it with a disc sander, but I think I might just look for someone to sandblast it for me, hoping for a good price.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

i posted this in my thread. if you can find someone to sandblast it, definately do it. i wire wheeled mine because i had no one near me to do it. i wire wheeled mine, por15 is, and it looks good now.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i posted this in my thread. if you can find someone to sandblast it, definately do it. i wire wheeled mine because i had no one near me to do it. i wire wheeled mine, por15 is, and it looks good now.
I'm definitely going to try to get it sandblasted, a whole lot easier than sanding and wire wheeling it.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dropped off my sub-frame with lower and upper arms to get blasted a few hours ago along with the por-15 paint and it should be ready by Monday evening. They are also going to install my Energy Suspension bushings on the control arms along with lower ball joints, all for a very reasonable price.

Also got the car shop 1" setback plates along with the sbc motor mounts. I need to head out to the local Napa and pick up the frame mounts and lower ball joints.

Anybody know where to get brake lines that are already bent to shape? I was at a car meet last night and saw a clean '78 T/A, he told me ordered them online but didn't remember the website.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zamora7
Anybody know where to get brake lines that are already bent to shape? I was at a car meet last night and saw a clean '78 T/A, he told me ordered them online but didn't remember the website.
It's going to be either one of these websites, these are the bigger ones to buy from.

http://www.inlinetube.com/

http://www.classictube.com/
Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

i just picked up new lines from inline tube. very nice pieces
Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just picked up new lines from inline tube. very nice pieces
Did you get them for stock brakes? Wonder if you need to get different size for bigger aftermarket brakes?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 AM
On The Tree

you shouldnt have to change the size line for different brakes, but you may want to look into changing the master to match what brakes your changing.

i got the stainless stock set up. i've always had good luck with inline on all of my t/a's
Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you shouldnt have to change the size line for different brakes, but you may want to look into changing the master to match what brakes your changing.

i got the stainless stock set up. i've always had good luck with inline on all of my t/a's
Well that's good to know. I don't even know if I'm going with the Wilwood setup I wanted or the C6Z from Kore3.com. I like the Wilwoods because of the 4 piston calipers and they look really nice. The C6 set up is nice too because I can find replacement parts just about anywhere and they are bigger. I may just order the lines and run them on the car that way they are in there before the motor goes in and worry about the setup after I get the other stuff like clutch master fabbed up and take care of the firewall.

Quick Reply: LS power into 1980 Firebird