Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The adapter just rides inside the crank flange. The dished or flat will work. All the spacer does is support the nose of the TQ convter!

Read this!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...uto-trans.html
Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update on my progress...
picked up a cam and springs. Its from an 04 z06 with only 15k.

I got the car all jacked up and drained of fluids. removed the headers( which is unbolted and refusing to come out..stupid long tubes.)

got my oil pan yesterday but no windage tray had to order that.

after cleaning, threw on a few (6) coats of black semi gloss paint.

and ended up pullin the oil pan waiting on my tray...

hopeful tm ill put the cam in...gotta youtube how its done to make sure i dont mess up.

im still unsure about the hughes flex plate and adapter... from looking at it it looks very similar to flex plate i have. and im not sure exactly how im suppose to install it...do i put the adapter in first then the flex plate? what holds it to the crank? do i need to glue it down or something?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bo185
The adapter just rides inside the crank flange. The dished or flat will work. All the spacer does is support the nose of the TQ convter!

Read this!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...uto-trans.html
that hughe adapter it just sits inside there? nothing holding it? could i have used my stock flex plate? or should i use the hughes one they sent me?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

so can some one tell me now to pull a crank pulley off? im using a pulley puller and it seems to pull the pulley out for the most part but now its messing up the bolt keeps slipping any ideas what i can do about that?

oh here is the progress so far.
ill pulled the engine on sunday

did not know the Toque converter was suppose to come out with the engine..

Last edited by asalian; 04-21-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

I would be interested in those finned valve covers. Postponing my LS swap due to no garage.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by asalian
that hughe adapter it just sits inside there? nothing holding it? could i have used my stock flex plate? or should i use the hughes one they sent me?
The torque converter hub rides on it and it holds it in.

You could have keep the stock dished flex plate and just added the $34 dollar GM spacer and longer crank bolts.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ErikSOCAL
I would be interested in those finned valve covers. Postponing my LS swap due to no garage.
im doing my swap in my drive way... let not having a garage not stop you bro.
ill let you know when im gonna part the engine. I wanted to keep it for another project car... but instead i wanna save up for an a4 quattro for my dd.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

so i have a lil glitch in my swap...
for some reason my engine isnt lining up to the trans. the T/C is on the engine first so i dont have to bolt it up later under the car. the rod form the trans is in the T/C but its not closing up...any suggestion? should i turn the crank pulley and see if that works? I also got a flexplate wrench.
any info will me appreciated.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Teching In

take the t/c back off the motor and put it in the trans and bolt up under the car when everything is lined up. You should have done that when pulling the motor. the t/c should have never needed to leave the trans. It might be a good idea to change the hub seal in the trans now as pulling the t/c with the motor can be very hard on em. Make sure the t/c is seated in the trans. if its not you will tear the pump right out of it, and possibly damage the hub.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

so i that...now after 4 hours of pulling and pushing the engine is in the bay. now how to get it flush with the trans? i was able to bolt up one bolt (engine to trans) but the others arent matching up properly... any advice here?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Man the black stingrays are by far the sexiest corvettes ever, but that just me, keep up the good work man!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

thanks bro, its actually a black cherry (kinda purpleish) but i know what you mean.
will keep it up. im so close to finishing it up i can taste it!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by asalian
thanks bro, its actually a black cherry (kinda purpleish) but i know what you mean.
will keep it up. im so close to finishing it up i can taste it!
What does it taste like, black cherry or motor oil?

Good luck on the swap. Look at Gary's 68 for hints on the water pump - he had to do some fancy stuff to get things to clear.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

lil bit of both...
so i was able to bolt up the top right bolt but the other ones are being difficult to bolt up... also the flex plate wont spin as much as i try to crank the crank bolt i even bought a flex plate wrench that ended up breaking...
anyone of you guys live near milpitas, ca maybe give me a hand with this...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

This may sound dumb but...
Did you take the plugs out when trying to crank the engine? I could turn my engine by hand using the balancer with the plugs out - with the plugs in was a different story.

Needless to say if the engine won't spin you have serious problems.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

yea i tried cranking it with out it in the car and it didnt work and then i took it out and tried again...no go...i even tried a flexplate wrench....that ended up breaking....
Old 05-12-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Start over. Remove the TC from the flexplate. Put it on the trans, twist to make sure it's seated. If you're worried about clearance while bolting the trans to the flexplate, remove the oil pan. Now put the engine against the trans, the TC sould be about 1/4" back. Bolt the trans to the motor, then the TC to the flexplate.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by garys 68
Start over. Remove the TC from the flexplate. Put it on the trans, twist to make sure it's seated. If you're worried about clearance while bolting the trans to the flexplate, remove the oil pan. Now put the engine against the trans, the TC sould be about 1/4" back. Bolt the trans to the motor, then the TC to the flexplate.
^^^Exactly. The TC should spin freely with one hand while unbolted. There will be a point as you spin it where it will 'catch' slightly and seat on the front pump. Once this happens it will slide further on the splines (toward the back of the transmission). It is imperative that this step is completed first or transmission damage will occur. Engines and transmissions are a lot like women, very picky, quite delicate and they don't like being forced. If you have to force it something is WAY wrong.

Having said that, the whole engine should turn over with your bare hands if you have no plugs in it. Everything should rotate pretty easily actually.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

well i pulled the the engine out again over the weekend and put on the T/C on first, i made sure it sat all the way in there then put the engine in. what i dont understand is when the engine was on the engine stand the flywheel spun fine when i had it on the engine lift (the second time i pulled it) it refused to turn over i just figured because i was moving too much. I put it back in to the car on the mounts and still same problem. The T/C can spin freely just the flex plate doesnt.
what could cause that to lock up?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

About the only thing that could keep the engine from turning in the car is the flexplate is binding up on the starter or bell housing, or your front pulley is binding on the front crossmember.

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap question