Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 and Vintage Air, How to Wire?! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010 | 12:44 AM
Launching!
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CentralWARMK
BBPanel How long have you been using the Variable D compressor on your vehicle? I'm thinking about using it this same way, or maybe converting it to a Fixed displacement compressor.
I was referring to my stock GM factory car not the one with VA. I do plan on using the var d compressor with my VA unit though. The idea that running the var d compressor continually on a VA system will cause it to fail doesn't make any sense - that is why I made the comment I did - they run all the time on the factory cars so why don't they fail on them.

A number of folks have run them with success, note ls1nova71's comments above. I do take exception to the purely subjective statement that it doesn't work as well as the Sanden - would be nice if that statement could be quantified.

Something else to consider - I was under the impression that some of the early Truck Vortec compressors are virtually identical to the var d compressor but are fixed displacement - but I have not been able to verify that - if so it would be a possible solution and allow the compressor to be mounted in the factory location (which is what I want to do - I don't want to relocate the compressor).

The consensus seems to be the var d doesn't work with VA systems - personally I think that is a marketing ploy. What do I have to lose but try it and see - if it fails I'll try something else.
Old 03-26-2010 | 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by BBPanel

A number of folks have run them with success, note ls1nova71's comments above. I do take exception to the purely subjective statement that it doesn't work as well as the Sanden - would be nice if that statement could be quantified.

The consensus seems to be the var d doesn't work with VA systems - personally I think that is a marketing ploy. What do I have to lose but try it and see - if it fails I'll try something else.
I made the comment that the Sanden works better on a VA system based on the fact that I have 2 VA setups, the one in the Nova is using the stock compressor, while the one in my '33 Ford is using the Sanden. The '33 will blow 30* air out the vents on a 95* day, where as the Nova will only do about 45* on a 95* day. It's always been like that. I know alot of people who use VA, and nobody has one that works as poorly as my Nova. So I don't think it's a marketing ploy. And I'm not trying to tell anyboby what to do, I'm just trying to help out by not having people make the same mistakes I made. But by all means try it if you want to, but by the time you buy fittings, have hoses made, charge it, and then realize it's just not up to standards, and then start over, you'd have been better off to do it right the first time. At least that's my experience.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 03-26-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2010 | 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Nova are you running the stock VD thru the pcm same as factory VD setup or are you controlling it externally?
Old 03-26-2010 | 01:01 PM
Launching!
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
....The '33 will blow 30* air out the vents on a 95* day, where as the Nova will only do about 45* on a 95* day...
Thanks - finally someone provides some facts - now it boils down to whether one finds that acceptable or not.
By chance do you know anything about the Vortec compressors I mentioned? I ask because apparently the conversion brackets to mount the 508 in the factory location can interfere and require mods to the motor mount because the 508 is longer.
Old 03-26-2010 | 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by rockytopper
Nova are you running the stock VD thru the pcm same as factory VD setup or are you controlling it externally?
It's all externally controlled. It was done 10 years ago, and I wasn't sure how to run it through the PCM back then.
Old 03-26-2010 | 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by BBPanel
By chance do you know anything about the Vortec compressors I mentioned? I ask because apparently the conversion brackets to mount the 508 in the factory location can interfere and require mods to the motor mount because the 508 is longer.
I don't know about them, other than if they were originally on truck motors, you'll need to run the truck acessories because an LS1 bolts up differently, and further back. I made my own bracket to mount the Sanden in the original spot on my '33, but I did move it towards the front some and it now runs off of the main serpentine belt. I did that for motor mount clearance.
Old 03-27-2010 | 12:18 AM
Launching!
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
... I made my own bracket to mount the Sanden in the original spot on my '33, but I did move it towards the front some and it now runs off of the main serpentine belt. I did that for motor mount clearance.
Can you send me some pics of what you did? Can send email address via PM. That may be the best solution yet because the rear of my compressor sits pretty close to the headers right now. Is the 508 pulley the same rib count and size as the LS1?
Old 03-28-2010 | 03:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think the compressor deal is this, at least from what I remember from talking to VA and Hot Rod Air. The Sanden (508) compressor will work better, because of its pumping capacity, but VA instructions also say that the possibility of coil freeze up is likely and also says that if air flow decreases (because of freezing up) to turn down (up) the air cooling temp to defrost the coil.

Hot Rod air swears that the using the stock VD compressor is sufficent and will not damage the compressor and doesn't know why VA says that the VD compressor will be damaged.

I'm using the Sanden, but am buying parts while stationed overseas and that makes knowing what works right the first time, while home once in a while I install some parts, gather data and try to find the right parts.

With my application, my 66 Nova with TCI clip and LS1, I had to modify the VA LS/Sanden mounts and still am not sure I have room for the tensioner pulleys, I think I am going to have to shitcan the mounts and just make my owe and suck the compressor as close to the block as possible, or swap over to a V-belt setup vice serpentine.

I went with the Sanden for another reason (I think, like I said I gather data and try to order as I can) and that was the top hose connections, not enough room for the hoses to rear mount to the stock VD compressor. I already had to notch the frame mounts for the Sanden, and the stock VD touched them initially.

Quick Reply: LS2 and Vintage Air, How to Wire?! Please help!