Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best aftermarket front clip for chevyII and camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best aftermarket front clip for chevyII and camaro

Am I wrong or is the checkerd racing clip the best value for your money in chevyIIs and early camaros.It looks like it to me.Looks like by the time you buy tubular a arms,disk brakes,rack and pinion etc.you will be close to the cost of an aftermarket clip which has all this plus coilovers and is about 150lbs lighter and gives more room.Anyone have opinions on which of the many choices of aftermarket clips are better,or why you would stay with an original clip,especially in the chevy II?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your looking to stick with a mustang II style front end, I would get the Chassis Works front end. The fit and finish on that front end is excellent. If you are looking more for a drag race front end I would get the Smith Racecraft front end. Super light and is a strut front end.

Jared
Old 03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO...I used a Heidt's...got it for a little under 1900 bucks from Tim's Hot Rods......his handle is ibuildm on ebay.....

Stainless works has finally made a set of headers for a stock Chevy 2 clip for the LS platform.

Church Boys Racing has all you need for the front end for about 1400 bucks, if you get some of the parts yourself, or turn key for around 2200...

Check out Steve's Nova Site. There is a warehouse of info on there. The LSx craze is on fire, and more guys are headed that direction every day.....

T,
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Teching In

U should look on lateral g forum. There are a lot of guys running the aftermarket stuff and are nice guys to get info from.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

I have the Heidts on my 66 Nova with the superide II coilovers and wilwood brakes, $3200 shipped. I priced out the Alston setup, it's nice but it it was about $5400 plus shipping.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say it depends on what you want to use the car for. TCI has a new Chevy II front sub if you are building a corner burner.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66279

Ken
Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

I feel like one of the various after market clips is the way to go in a chevyII for sure,their factory frontends were terrible,plus the clearence you gain getting rid of the shock towers is almost worth it. The first gen camaro has a better front end to start with but I am leaning to an aftermarket clip in my 67 camaro.By the time you modify the factory clip much for the things you would want you can buy a cleaner,lighter,probably better handling,easily set for ride hight,aftermarket clip.Any one have any reasons I am missing for keeping the factory clip?It won't be original anyway with an ls and a six speed. I guess I am just trying to justify this to myself.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always liked Detroit Speed's hydroformed stuff, lots of engineering in those things. Not what I'd call "cheap" though.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

The detroit speed clip is definetly a nice piece.There are so many to choose from now it's hard to decide.But I guess thats a good thing though!I am not looking for the lowest priced one unless that one happens to have the best value for the money.There is a huge price range on them and the best is not always the most expensive,if you know what I mean.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Teching In

I just put the checkerd clip on my 66 duece. Very pleased on the quality for the money. Only thing i dislike and am gonna change on mine is the bars that mount to the top of the firewall. Gonna bend mine to where i have more room in the engine bay. I had them build me a complete chassis for a 48 chevy truck a few years ago was very pleased then too. Alot depends on what you are going to do with the car on which front to use.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

I have a Checkered clip, too. I built my own adjustable struts instead of the weld-ons, and have built a set of 1-7/8" headers for the LS1 in it (well, I have the pass side done anyway).
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Checkered clip on 66 Nova - made adjustable down tubes as well. Added gussets(sp?) to supplied motor mounts. Running modified Lemons headers.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

TCI Coil over clip.

Great product, but I haven't driven it yet.

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket front clip for chevyII and camaro